Painfull teeth and no cure

I have just had a tooth pulled out by my dentist, but it wasnt the one that was causing me the pain.

So it still hurts when I drink or eat anything cold, I have to eat on my right hand side of my mouth. I get a little general pain, but the dentist eems unsure about which tooth is causing the pain, and I dont know.

I have been twice in the past 2 weeks, he has taken 2 xrays, and removed 1 tooth. Is this how it is when you get older, a colleague was saying the same thing today.

Err no it shouldn't be, you need a better dentist.

My dentist flat out refused to pull out teeth if there was signs of an infection because you risk complications.

He'd treat the underling cause first, and then extract the tooth at a later date when it was safer to do so.

Also, it is common practice that when you have a tooth that aches, the nerves will affect other teeth as well. No wonder you are having problems figuring out which tooth is causing the problem.

Have you tried tapping your teeth with the end of a fork to figure out for yourself which tooth you think is hurting most?

AS Poppet2 said. I went to the dentist with toothache and was adamant which tooth it was. After an examination the dentist did a root canal on the tooth next to the one i thought was giving me the grief. Guess what? he was right, a couple of days later after every thing had calmed down I was fine.

Check it's not trigeminal neuralgia. There are 2 types, one that gives generalised pain and one that gives electric type shocks. I had the generalised pain one for 26 years before it was diagnosed.

I've had loads of dental treatment, most of which was unnecessary. The pain can appear to feel like toothache, earache etc. It's often triggered by hot/cold drinks, brushing teeth, the wind on your face. It isnt a common disorder but worth a look.

Have you tried tapping your teeth with the end of a fork to figure out for yourself which tooth you think is hurting most?

I will try some more, but presure on the tooth doe not cause pain, but cold does, food or liquid, if I eat on the left it very uncomfortable, I can feel a dull ache now, but it feel like the bottom left, the sharp pain feels like the top left.

I will try some more, but presure on the tooth doe not cause pain, but cold does, food or liquid, if I eat on the left it very uncomfortable, I can feel a dull ache now, but it feel like the bottom left, the sharp pain feels like the top left.

Does the pain last a long time? I had a tooth nerve die last year and it started as an extreme deep pain whenever my tooth got cold, which was often when you are outside in sub zero temperatures and its a front tooth :( The pain would gradually get worse and lasted for about half an hour.

I think the dentist thought I was over exaggerating and it was either very sensitive or a cracked filling. When he opened it up, the nerve was clearly dead :gag: I had to have a temporary filling (which tasted nasty the whole time) for 3 weeks until they did my root canal.

Check it's not trigeminal neuralgia. There are 2 types, one that gives generalised pain and one that gives electric type shocks. I had the generalised pain one for 26 years before it was diagnosed.

I've had loads of dental treatment, most of which was unnecessary. The pain can appear to feel like toothache, earache etc. It's often triggered by hot/cold drinks, brushing teeth, the wind on your face. It isnt a common disorder but worth a look.

They'll know if it's trigeminal neuralgia. It is agony, there no pain like it . My wife had it for months, no sleep, teeth out to no effect (before they realised what it was).

A terrible affliction.

Poppet is right. My dentist tapped mine, it sounded different and that was the one

They tell you to smear the teeth with sensodine toothpaste, I did this, but when I did it yesturday a tooth at the back was painfull, so that must be the one.

The thing that worries me, is that they get paid every time you get treated, so if they solve the problem they stop getting paid.