First Chinese restaurants in Sheffield

What was the one on the Surrey Street/ Norfolk Street corner 'Hudson's Chop Suey' or something? that must have been one of the earlier ones.

I know the one next to Highfield Library on London Road (Golden Lee?) has been there a fair few years, my nan worked there in the 60s - That opened in 1957 apparently :)

Edited by Leah-Lacie

What was the one on the Surrey Street/ Norfolk Street corner 'Hudson's Chop Suey' or something? that must have been one of the earlier ones.
'Hudson's Corner House Restaurant' at 106 Norfolk Street became the 'Chop Suey Restaurant' in the early 1960s.

I know the one next to Highfield Library on London Road (Golden Lee?)...
It was originally the Ling Hong restaurant. It isn't shown in the 1957 directory but that would have been compiled the previous year - it must have opened around that time. It was later renamed the Golden Tiger - here's a 1971 photo - and then the ""Golden Lee" and finally the 'Golden Taste'..:) Edited by hillsbro

That would be the Rickshaw, on the corner of Devonshire Street and Broomhall Street. Here is a link to a picturesheffield.com photo, taken in 1976 after it had closed..:(

yes, that was the one.

The Chinese restaurant at the junction of London Rd. and Abbeydale Rd. was

called Lin Hong it opened in the late fifties there is still a Chinese there.

Hi crookedspire - yes,the majority would have come from Hong Kong, and to judge from entries in directories there were a number Chinese families living at Crookes in the 1920s. Crookes Cemetery contains several Chinese graves, one of them being that of Yun Bun, a prominent member of Sheffield's Chinese community who left Canton via Hong Kong with his parents as a teenager in the early 1900s. They had a laundry at Heeley (47 Chesterfield Road) and later Yun Bun also owned the "Goldfish Bowl" takeaway just off The Moor.

Wasn't there one at Hillsborough corner in the early '60s, if so what is it now?

The Chinese restaurant at the junction of London Rd. and Abbeydale Rd. was

called Lin Hong it opened in the late fifties there is still a Chinese there.

When I worked in Barclays Bank on the Moor, I used to go to the Lin Hong for lunch. Great lunch for 5/-. That's about 1963/5.

---------- Post added 19-08-2015 at 17:10 ----------

Wasn't there one at Hillsborough corner in the early '60s, if so what is it now?

It was the Bluebird then. Another lunch time haunt for me when I worked on Middlewood Rd.

'Hudson's Corner House Restaurant' at 106 Norfolk Street became the 'Chop Suey Restaurant' in the early 1960s.

It was originally the Ling Hong restaurant. It isn't shown in the 1957 directory but that would have been compiled the previous year - it must have opened around that time. It was later renamed the Golden Tiger - here's a 1971 photo - and then the ""Golden Lee" and finally the 'Golden Taste'..:)

With regards to Lin Hong, there was a chip shop of that name towards the top end of Woodside Lane in the mid 50's, and very busy it was too, the main difference I remember being the chips which were excellent .

It was the Lin Hong owdsmiffy.The oriental on Langsett rd was the first i think it also doubled as a knocking shop.

I thought the Oriental was Indian

---------- Post added 29-08-2015 at 13:33 ----------

Yun Bun Laundry, Chesterfield Road.

I thought the Oriental was Indian

---------- Post added 29-08-2015 at 13:33 ----------

Yun Bun Laundry, Chesterfield Road.

Chesterfield Road ????.... Hillsborough?????

Yun Bun Laundry. Yes. On the left between Heeley Palace (now Ponsfords) & Valley Road, Meersbrook. I walked past it every day going to school, up to 1955. There was another Chinese Laundry on Abbeydale Road. I used it to wash and starch my stiff collars (we all did, take two and collect two every Saturday) up to 1965, then shirt styles changed. There were stiff paper collars from M&S, not quite the same as the real thing.

With regards to Lin Hong, there was a chip shop of that name towards the top end of Woodside Lane in the mid 50's, and very busy it was too, the main difference I remember being the chips which were excellent .

Probably owned by Chin Hong who had a Laundry at Firth Park, died as a Restaurateur in 1963.