First Chinese restaurants in Sheffield

When did Sheffield first get a Chinese restaurant or chip shop as it might give me a clue when the first Chinese arrived in the city. Also which area did the Chinese first settle at is it like now around the London Road area?

When did Sheffield first get a Chinese restaurant or chip shop as it might give me a clue when the first Chinese arrived in the city. Also which area did the Chinese first settle at is it like now around the London Road area?

The first ones I remember where on Division Street and the Moor.

The one on Division Street [Rickshaw?] doubled up as a nightclub [before we had them in Sheffield] If you dined in there you could stop and drink at the bar until I A.M.

All the big time Charley's could be seen in there [early sixties].

One on rushby street had a dog in fridge early days they thought it was OKto eat them

The first Chinese I can remember was the Zing Va which was on the Moor, left hand side going down, that would have been sometime around 1960ish, it was when you could drive down the Moor & even park your car at the kerbside. There was another on the junction of London Rd & Abbeydale Rd but I can't remember the name of that one.

:confused::confused:

The first Chinese I can remember was the Zing Va which was on the Moor, left hand side going down, that would have been sometime around 1960ish, it was when you could drive down the Moor & even park your car at the kerbside. There was another on the junction of London Rd & Abbeydale Rd but I can't remember the name of that one.

Was it called The Golden Tiger ?

I seem to recall one off the moor, somewhere near where Debenhams is now. Back in 1961 they did a three course businessmens lunch for about 3/6. Anyone remember?

It was the Lin Hong owdsmiffy.The oriental on Langsett rd was the first i think it also doubled as a knocking shop.

There is an old thread on this subject,along with the Zing Va we used to frequent Lin Hongs quite a lot in the early 60s on London Road!.It was very popular on Saturday nights they used to queue up out side it was so busy,every so often we were treated to a hundred yard dash with a Chinese waiter chasing some punter who decided his meal was a freebie!.Another one we used was opposite where the Crown Court is now the name I forget,and the one in the Wicker and one on Division Street,the names I can,t recollect my grey matter is letting me down!.One a mate of mine and I only used when we where skint was the Bluebird in the White Buildings Hillsborough Corner!,we both lived that end of town!.All we could afford was curried chicken livers 5bob old money a time,now I believe this dish is a delicacy so we must have good taste!.As to which was the first Chinese take your pick!.

I remember the first Chinese takeaway to open in Dronfield. It was, I think, 1973. It was called Tung Sun and was on the main road opposite the (then closed) station. It is still there, although it has had many names in the past 42 years. Hard to believe now, but for us young Dronfeldians it was revolutionary. Many of us were initially reluctant to eat the Chinese specialities, having been told by our parents that it was "foreign muck" and that we would die of instant food poisoning. Compare that with today. Even Dronfield has a variety of non-British restaurants, and half an hour's ride on the 43 or 44 bus will take you to the multi-cultural culinary diversity of London Road.

best T bone steak ever old Tup at that one opposite the courthouse

best T bone steak ever old Tup at that one opposite the courthouse

Right on bro you always got a plate full,that and the mixed grill with the fried egg on top,my favourites there back in the day!.