First Chinese restaurants in Sheffield

The first Chinese restaurant was probably the Rickshaw that opened in 1957, but the Zing Vaa was also open around that time. More information on this thread.

or maybe the oriental on Langsett rd opposite Patnicks.

or maybe the oriental on Langsett rd opposite Patnicks.

Hello you ...we were just talking about this today ..deffo the oriental as far as i know:)

The Oriental was an Indian restaurant - the OP specified Chinese.

The Oriental was an Indian restaurant - the OP specified Chinese.

The oriental was chinese not indian ...my parents owned the pub up the road most of our customers went in there on a w/end after the pub closed my dad usually went with them...he wouldnt touch indian food .....

So I guess crooksey, Falls and Jazzman are all wrong? - http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/search.php?searchid=11955353

The oriental was chinese .....check out first chinese restaurants in sheffield by another poster ..i dont know how to link it...but i know it was chinese i virtually lived next .......Kellys directory 1973..chinese restaurants in sheffield ..guess what ...Oriental Langsett Rd;)

Edited by kazads53
add something

Well, I'm sure that kazads53 is correct (despite what was written by several people on the thread I linked to in my post #2) but the Kelly's directory for 1973, which I happen to have, does not classify restaurants according to the type of food served, and simply shows the "Oriental Café" with all the other restaurants - see here..:)

My first memory of going to a Chinese restaurant was the Golden Dragon in the sixties.

Hi kaz,you ok,glad someone else remembers it was a chinky it was also reputed to be a bit naughty as well and im not elaborating on that!see you soon kaz.

What about the welcome on snigg hill

Rickshaw and Zing Vaa, definitely between 57 and 60. I started work in 57 as a junior sales and all the sales girls used to go there on dates. First time I ever went I felt soooooo grown up. Left Sheffield in 60 so I know I had been several times to both in that time.