Council Tax - Its Taxing alright

Is there actually a limit to what they can charge before people will say I cant afford to pay it

I moved into a new house last year. Within a couple of weeks I had a letter saying that they wanted to reband me up a level. To cut a long story, I appealed against it and won the case. Saved me over £250 per year. Just out of interest, did you just complain to the council or did you complain officially. Council tax banding is nothing to to with the council, it is carried out by a government dept, part of the Inland Revenue. You need to fill in the paperwork and have a genuine reason for complaint. All bandings are based on propery values back in 1991, not 5 years ago. There is a government site where you can find what the properties in your street / bolck of flats sold for and what band they are in. For £2, you can see what your neighbouring properties have sold for in recent years. If a similar property to yours is in a lower banding you can cite that as a reason for appeal. Can't remember the web site but I'll track it down if your interested.

Hope this helps

Originally posted by MobileB

But at least you get your bins collected for your Council Tax.

Which is a bit of a standing joke here in our household.

There's been 2 adults & 4 kids here (1 left home last year though) for the last 3 years and we've got one of the smallest wheelie bins you could ever imagine (having given up on getting a lerger one - Onyx are not the most responsive of companies I've come across).

I have to make at least 3 trips to the tip per week, as the pathetic excuse for a bin is full 2 days after it has been emptied.

In fact, our blue bin (paper) holds twice as much as the one we have been allocated for our domestic waste!

I don't mind paying high council tax if I saw the benefits. Not just some new silly traffic scheme.....

1 new library book in one of the libraries would be nice....

Originally posted by Swan_Vesta

I live in a one bed flat in Hillsborough and the council have the temerity to charge me £800. Problem is that I fail to see what actual benefit I get from this tax payment........ Bins emptied once a week and thats it!

Well that's it apart from emergency cover by the fire service, local police at the end of a telephone, streetlights, local infrastructure like supertram, environmental health like vermin control, and people inspecting restraunts for hygene. etc.. etc.. If you don't want to live in a city and pay the CTAX for the privilage, why not move out to the wilds of scotland

If you don't want to live in a city and pay the CTAX for the privilage, why not move out to the wilds of scotland

What do you mean by the "wilds of Scotland" (capital S BTW). I live in the "wilds of Scotland" in a 2 bedroomed, 4th floor flat. It costs me £1,750 per year in Council Tax. What is the problem with paying £800 or whatever to live in your great metropolis?

I'm sorry I don't want to offend anyone who's living in Scotland. I was just fishing for a remote place in the uk with no local infrastructure.

As Swan_Vesta feels that the local council provide no value.

"Well that's it apart from emergency cover by the fire service, local police at the end of a telephone, streetlights, local infrastructure like super-tram, environmental health like vermin control, and people inspecting restaurants for hygiene. etc.. etc.."

-muddycoffee

Oh, and lets not forget the vast majority of what is paid goes on Education (Schools), but of course "sccsux" with "2 adults & 4 kids here (1 left home last year though) for the last 3 years", (which, if I'm not mistaken is above the average number of children) feels they aren't getting value from the system.

:rolleyes:

I'm sorry I don't want to offend anyone who's living in Scotland. I was just fishing for a remote place in the uk with no local infrastructure.

Doesn't mean they don't pay council tax.

Originally posted by muddycoffee

Well that's it apart from emergency cover by the fire service, local police at the end of a telephone, streetlights, local infrastructure like supertram, environmental health like vermin control, and people inspecting restraunts for hygene. etc.. etc.. If you don't want to live in a city and pay the CTAX for the privilage, why not move out to the wilds of scotland

I was under the impression that emergency services funding was provided by either the ODPM/Home Office/NHS,Supertram was controlled by First.

As for vermin control, maybe the need wouldn't be so great if they took the trouble to clean the rotting kebab meat up after the usual binge of Fri/Sat night.

I'll concede street lighting and maybe restaurant inspectors but my original point is still valid. Local services are not fantastic regardless of where you live, the local government collect the tax and in turn should administer it back to members of their community in the form of consistent and reliable service. I still fail to see value for money.

As to the suggestion that I should leave a city I like very much because I dislike an aspect which I would encounter anywhere else, I find that a touch unnecessary.

If your reaction to everyone who has a moan about some element of life in Sheffield is "why not move out to the wilds of scotland?" then I think you'll be penning a lot of similar posts.

I was under the impression that emergency services funding was provided by either the ODPM/Home Office/NHS...

In fact, 85% of council services are paid from Central Government funding. Council Tax only raises about 15%.

Originally posted by Mo

Wait for the revaluation coming up soon and see what happens. :heyhey:

Yup April 2005 ratings lists are currently being prepared by the Valuation Office. You should be able to check (and appeal) any ratings decisions through this site.