Council Tax - Its Taxing alright

Am I alone in my grievance with the council tax banding system in Sheffield? Its sheer lunacy.

I recently sold a six bedroom house in hunters bar for £285,000. This house was a band C. I then moved into a two bedroom flat in broomhill for which I paid £199,000. The banding on this was E! That basically equates to £195 per month. Its daylight robbery.

I wrote to the SCC arbitration unit and, quell surprise, they refused to budge on the matter. They cited what the flat was worth five years ago etc etc and said it was in keeping with prices in the area. I pointed out the banding on my old house, but they said this was irrelevant. I failed to see how exactly, but hey, does anybody EVER convince the council to change there mind about anything? Do complaint departments simply exist to be seen and nothing else?

All I know is I am now paying an extra hundred pounds a month for a place one mile up the road and 3 times smaller than where I used to live. I also know that council tax charges have almost double in the last few years. And for what? I have noticed anything superior in public service provision in Sheffield to even vaguely justify it. It’s an insult.

Originally posted by mikebayly

Am I alone in my grievance with the council tax banding system in Sheffield? Its sheer lunacy.

I recently sold a six bedroom house in hunters bar for £285,000. This house was a band C. I then moved into a two bedroom flat in broomhill for which I paid £199,000. The banding on this was E! That basically equates to £195 per month. Its daylight robbery.

I wrote to the SCC arbitration unit and, quell surprise, they refused to budge on the matter. They cited what the flat was worth five years ago etc etc and said it was in keeping with prices in the area. I pointed out the banding on my old house, but they said this was irrelevant. I failed to see how exactly, but hey, does anybody EVER convince the council to change there mind about anything? Do complaint departments simply exist to be seen and nothing else?

All I know is I am now paying an extra hundred pounds a month for a place one mile up the road and 3 times smaller than where I used to live. I also know that council tax charges have almost double in the last few years. And for what? I have noticed anything superior in public service provision in Sheffield to even vaguely justify it. It’s an insult.

Band A is expensive enough at 700-800 quid a year. The other bands are just extortionate. The whole system which is based on the prices of houses in 1991 (correct me if I've got the year wrong) needs revamping seriously.

I can't imagine ever being able to afford to move into a house that wasn't in band A.

Oh christ don't get me started on council tax.,..

I'm off for a cuppa. Anyone fancy one?

Has anyone got any ideas as to the amount they will be adding on it in april? I read in the paper that it would be the lowest rise so far... Although I will belive that when I see it

It shouldnt be rising AT ALL. They'll be collecitng direct debits on horse back wearing a mask at this rate...

Originally posted by mikebayly

It shouldnt be rising AT ALL. They'll be collecitng direct debits on horse back wearing a mask at this rate...

LOL :D

What really annoys me, and on this subject I could spout forth ad infinitum, is that they are building flats, apartments and houses on any inch of land they can find. These owners or tenants will then contribute to Council Tax. That must bring in a huge amount of money that simply wasn't there five years ago.

This is never mentioned in the leaflet that accompanies our over-inflated Council Tax statements. Like a business that folds if it doesn't sort its finances out, the council should be answerable to the electorate and should be made to explain precisely how and on what the money has been squandered.

With the recently published Personal Expenses figures, we all have a pretty good idea, don't we? (But no doubt they'll tell us that 'that money comes from another budget' etc, etc, - yawn - etc..).

Mike Bayly ...... the situation you talk about is not set up by Sheffield City Council. It is the law and would have happened in any local authority. Your tax on the old property was based on a valuation some years ago. If the property you bought was new build or had been substantially improved since the last revaluation then the Council tax would reflect that.

It may seem unfair but it's the same rule for everybody and something which should be considered when moving house. It might be a good idea if estate agents leaflets had to show the council tax banding of each property they sold so that there was no nasty shocks.

But at least you get your bins collected for your Council Tax.

Can anyone tell me exactly what services you get from the Council for paying Business Rates?

"I then moved into a two bedroom flat in broomhill for which I paid £199,000"

WHAT ! Somebody in Broomhill pays council tax, that's a first, I thought it was all 0 rated student flats getting a freebie.

That's why you're band E, you've gotta pay for all your nieghbours.

I live in a one bed flat in Hillsborough and the council have the temerity to charge me £800. Problem is that I fail to see what actual benefit I get from this tax payment........ Bins emptied once a week and thats it!

Seeing as it's takeaway central round my way we get discarded kebabs etc on the pavement plus whatever associated detritus is chucked on the floor littering the area. And how long does it stay there I hear you ask............ Bloomin' ages!!! ITS NOT HYGENIC!! All it does is wind me up and feed the multitudes of carrion flying/crapping over the city.

The roads are a state and when they do see repair it's a cowboy job which means they need to disrupt everything again in 6 months. Half assed work means annoyed members of the community, but hey it means if they don't get it right now they'll still have work to do in half a years time.

It's an exorbitant price to pay for living in ones own home when the related services received are minimal at best.- Not that I advocate the privatisation of any government service but if this situation was related to a company they'd have no customers and would have filed for bankrupcy long ago.

The tagline for the council tax office should be "Council tax, Pay it - you're a mug. Don't pay it - you're a criminal. Either way your money is ours"

Rant over and spleen vented.

I'm the more preferable possition that I still pay band A council tax, but my house has gone up in value enough to be in band B.