Anyone remember the summer of 76

The ambulance strike began in January 1979 as part of the "winter of discontent" that effectively put paid to the Old Labour government. It was firefighters who went on strike in 1977, resulting in "green goddess" fire engines on the streets.

You are correct - I confuddled myself.

I recall the Green Goddesses on the streets of our city. And I most certainly recall the Winter of Discontent...,

1976 was the summer i left school and became 16. I got my first job working at Loxley Brothers Print on Aizlewood Road, Heeley. The roof was glass and it really was like working in a greenhouse, it was an unbelievably hot summer. Remember Wimbledon being baking and well into the 90's, and the minister for drought, what a laugh that was! There wasnt any talk of global warming then though was there? Remember being glad when it was all over so i could work a bit more comfortably, and me and me dad ran out into the street when it eventually rained, it had been so long!

Do you remember the bloke who was made "Minister For Drought"?

he was also minister for flood, around the same time (it was either immediately before the drought came, or immediately after), but the funny thing was, almost as soon as he was made minister for *X*, the problem vanished. the standing joke at the time was that he ought to have been made "Minister for Unemployment", too! *ironic- :lol: *

Do you remember the bloke who was made "Minister For Drought"?

he was also minister for flood, around the same time (it was either immediately before the drought came, or immediately after), but the funny thing was, almost as soon as he was made minister for *X*, the problem vanished. the standing joke at the time was that he ought to have been made "Minister for Unemployment", too! *ironic- :lol: *

That was the late Dennis Howell (later Lord Howell of Small Heath) who was Minister of Sport before he was handed the drought portfolio, and anything else they thought he could handle. Must have been a busy bloke...

Hey remember that time v well, had just finished @ Ecclesfield School ( 6th Form ) Went to Job Centre @ Chapeltown wiv mates and got a job @ Bramall Lane, for Longdons Buliders, erecting the then new stand. Oh happy days hot hot hot hot, but straight to the Sportsman on Denby St for a Pint of sHANDY !!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone remember the Lanndlord of the aforementioned Pub, The Sportsman on Denby St ? Believe his name was Wentworth Reginald Foreshaw, can anyone confirm plz ?

Does anyone remember the Lanndlord of the aforementioned Pub, The Sportsman on Denby St ? Believe his name was Wentworth Reginald Foreshaw, can anyone confirm plz ?

yes,i remember reg,air force type with brylcreamed hair and a tache,had the best juke box ever in the back room.

yes,i remember reg,air force type with brylcreamed hair and a tache,had the best juke box ever in the back room.

oh,you got the name right too.

summer of 76 fantastic timbertop discos, midnight swimming in longley baths where did the years go.

treetops was it called many a good night in there and longley baths we really showing our age

Iremember 76 my daughter was born ladybirds greenfly everywhere wall to wall sunshine PERFECT :

WE ate lollys for England DANCED EVERY WEEKEND AT SAMANTHAS BRILL NIGHT OUT IF ONLY I COULD TURN BACK THE CLOCK::cool:

Summer of '76.

• Went out to play all day without telling my parents where
  • Went out without sun protection
  • Climbed trees
  • Paddled in streams
  • Didn't drink 8 glasses of water a day
  • Didn't eat anything that wasn't flourescent

And I'm still alive :D

And global warming hadn’t even been thought of; all we had was a great British summer.

I remeber my late husband telling me he and his builder pals started work at 5.30am and would finish around 1pm, then straight into the pub!!! They would often hose each other down!!!!