Anyone know anything about Wardsend Cemetery?

tango2

My bro' and I tended as many grave's as possible for 8&10yr old, talk about mixed intentions,any flower's we stole fm cem' #2 and didn't sell,was took to those old grave's and at 1 or 2 flowers per site we spread them over a large area. As I said before, being locked away in Fullwood Homes for 6yrs turned a lot of kids a little strange

• 1 year later...

Would it be worth my time to go to this cemetary to try & find my family's graves.Does anyone know if there is a map of where individual people are buried?

My Great Great Grandfather Henry Archer (Buried 31/10/1886)

" " " Grandmother Hannah " ( " 31/3/1904 )

" Grandfather Walter Henry " ( " 26/2/1897)

Would it be worth my time to go to this cemetary to try & find my family's graves.Does anyone know if there is a map of where individual people are buried?

My Great Great Grandfather Henry Archer (Buried 31/10/1886)

" " " Grandmother Hannah " ( " 31/3/1904 )

" Grandfather Walter Henry " ( " 26/2/1897)

Try contacting Friends of Wardsend Cemetery,just type Wardsend Cemetery in Google,it's the first on the list.

• 3 years later...
http://photobucket.com/albums/v332/WALLBUILDER/Old%20Cemetary/

Scream at me if the link doesn't work but there should be some pics here.

Quite odd seeing the railway line fenced off with graves on the side of the railway track.

The burnt out car looks as though it was more than likely set alight and then left to roll down the hillside if it's the one on the path as from the state of the path I doubt that anyone drove it there.

wow, spooky, I must admit i have explored properly around this area but i think if i'd have stumbled upon this lot on me own in the woods when I went exploring not too long ago, i would have been proper spooked!:o

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No sign of anything happening yet, but you wouldn't expect action that fast from the council. There was a big Veolia skip by the river yesterday but that may be something to do with the repeated fly-tipping there.

Chris Hobbs' site has the text of the Star article about the Wardsend VC, and the Council taking it over:

link to Chriss Hobbs site

Hugh

hi popt,iremember the entry and I believe a woman was murdered in there and thats why it was filled in,please correct me if i'm wrong.We played in there when we were kids for hours and hours that is if ivan dint chase us out,in the fifties a grave collapsed and some kids went in and chucked the bones out and hung them up from trees,the police came to shirecliffe school and questioned everyone.remember the cable tubs from the power station that made the muckhills,we used to climb in them for a ride but yu had to jump out before they tipped!