Heeley Memories

dear tinker i have replied in your p.m.box

Tinker,

did you get the P.M. I sent you?

regards

Joe Depledge was my great grand dads brother - John Depledge who lived in Heeley Green.

I have put together with my mum a bit of family tree with the help of another Depledge relation (Harry's descendants) who live Blackpool.

Let me know if you want any further detail.

I was born and brought up on Artisan View, remember Bamfields corner shops on the corner of Thirlwell/Goodwin Rd, we used to get those coloured crystals from there that were supposed to make lemonade! and jap squares, they had lots of bigs jars of sweets in the side window, Ben and Beattie Woods shop at the corner of Artisan View, Mrs Newcombe's shop by the steps at Well Rd, used to get 4 chews for a penny and liquorice root there, her son Tommy used to deliver milk all around the area. There was another shop at the corner of either Spencer or Tillotson Rd/Well Rd and a fruit and veg florist on the other corner, Mrs Scales fish and chip shop on Boynton St, "threepennorth of chips and don't forget to give me some scraps please", a wool shop on the corner and the the Boilers on the other side of the road almost opposite the Shakey ... that was the furthest we were allowed to go by ourselves.

There was a woodyard on Well Rd, i used to get sawdust for my mice's cage from there, had big double gates and a big tree in the yard. A newsagent up some steps at the bottom of Well Rd and the Heeley Palace where we used to go on Saturday for the Kids Cinema, Tobor the Robot starting an early interest in Science Fiction ... also remember my mother taking me to see "Rock Around the Clock" there and some people being carried out twitching and jerking by the manager and an usher! they'd been "sent" by the music roflol. I could go on and on ,,, but i won't!

Hi Ruby the shop just down from the corner of Tillotson Road was called Mc'ateers,I lived on Foster Road from 1957 to 1975.

Hello,

My dad Barry Foster lived at Heeley (43 Forster Road). He was born in 1939 and later moved to Basegreen and Frecheville. He also went to Annes Road school and I can remember going for some Taggy's Ice Cream (a real treat) and I can also remember a shop called 'Frank Deans'. He used to belong to a Vellocette motorbike group.He's still going strong but doesn't ride a motorbike anymore!

My Dad went to Anns Rd School at the same time as you but sadly he died 12 years ago his name was Barry Boulby and his family lived opposite the school, next door to the Methodist church.

Hi Angela, I went to school with Pual Eddison and used to live 2 back yards down from them on Richards Rd so spent many hours playing with Susan & Paul in the garages on Richards Rd!

This is a long shot, & going back a long way, but my mum is doing some family research, & I'm trying to find out if anyone has heard tell of a family called Flynn in Richards Road, number 139 to be precise. It would be around 1918 or so. I wondered if anyone's parents/grandparents remembered them, cos we can't find anything on the relevant census. Also, does anyone remember anything about a fruit & veg shop run by a family called Enock on Gleadless Road below the Waggon & Horses on Heeley Green?

i lived in sheffield until 1966, then moved to saskatchewan canada..I remember the Wagon & Horses, and I used to work at the Roundhouse.

Originally posted by mikey

Hi debsp I remember all the shops you mentioned, especially the Drinks shop, saspirella mmmmmmm. Tingles - they used to sell all balls of wool and stuff like that, not much call for that stuff now.

Do you remember the newsagents called Woolhouses?

also the Wagon and Horses and the Round House?

I was born around that time, which school did you go to?

I went to Heeley Bank, and for a little while Annes Rd before Newfield.

My gran used to live on Walden Rd - 27 I think.

Do you still live in sheffield?

Originally posted by all4_ofus

i lived in sheffield until 1966, then moved to saskatchewan canada..I remember the Wagon & Horses, and I used to work at the Roundhouse.

I went into the Roundhouse with some of my mates when it had shut down & we were told a ghost was in there,it turned out to be a tramp ,his dinner was on the old coal heating burners,so we got scared & shind down the drainpipe & never went back in,great days,I lived just around the corner on Foster Road.Apolgies I got the name wrong I meant the Boilermakers across from the Shaky.

Originally posted by tosh13

I went into the Roundhouse with some of my mates when it )had shut down & we were told a ghost was in there,it turned out to be a tramp ,his dinner was on the old coal heating burners,so we got scared & shind down the drainpipe & never went back in,great days,I lived just around the corner on Foster Road.

hiya tosh , when you say the roundhouse do you mean the (victoria hotel) at the bottom of heeley green on the corner . this is the one we always known as roundhouse but i cant remember it ever being shut down ? .