Heeley Memories

Originally posted by roughy101

i lived on hartley st across the road from annes rd school , i lived there from 1967 when i was first married.

i remember going to the launderette on gleadless rd , listening to all the old ones gossiping about all us young ones, i was 18 at the time i remember when they pulled the houses down on gleadless rd ,the school was overun with cockroaches and the rats were as big as cats ,so the old ones said, i dare not go out after dark because i remembered one of them saying the roaches crunched under your feet. there was also a little co op on the corner where i used to do the weekly shop.

i also worked at the ball inn pub on myrtle rd , thats where i got the taste for being a landlady ,those were the days when you could walk home at midnight and still be safe.

also does anyone remember lol knight, i remember getting my baby daughter to sleep and lol knight walking up hartley st drunk as a lord singing at the top of his voice

Hi R my brother lived on Hartley Street across from Anns Road School & I lived on Foster Road for 20 years & I never saw rats or cockroaches,some of the oldies must have had a drink too many at the Shaky LOL

Yes Roughy101,

I remember Lol Knight, He lived at the top of Thornborough Rd, never knew him personally but my cousins used to live there and talked about him. I heard he was the local hardman. I knew someone who fought him on the field opposite where he lived and won or so they said.

Hazel

hi tosh .in replyto your question i dont remember shackletons ..i think you may be interested to know that i used to know your john and malcolm i also remember your mom and dad .i started a new job in the autumn of 1966 and john also started on the same day we worked together for about 2 years he had a lambretta li 150 scooter i also bought a bike we used to go out together on runs .i remember he used to say he was visiting a hospital from work i think it was king edwards at rivelin to visit someone .he was saving to get married . he was great to work with and a great mate i was shocked to hear he had died .

hiya tinker you have me wondering who you are?you have sussed me although i am not living in sheffield now,I remember the milligans very well,and sue was indeed a good freind,but we lost touch in the early 70s.We moved to shirecliffe when the houses came down.Then we moved to norfolk for 9 years.Now I am in lancashire,still married after 30 odd years,with 2 kids.Dad died in the early 80s but Who are you?

Originally posted by Angela

Hi Banksia

Can’t remember Adams. I left Newfield Girls in 1969ish

Certainly remember Heeley Picture Palace and I think I can visualize where you lived, I think the Spinks (Yvonne) lived at the top of that road.

My family (the Gillotts) lived on Carter Road behind the Waggon & Horses.

I have done quite a bit of family history tracing and have accrued a few photos of old Heeley if you’re interested.

Hi Angela my last name is also Gillott

Originally posted by tinker

hi tosh .in replyto your question i dont remember shackletons ..i think you may be interested to know that i used to know your john and malcolm i also remember your mom and dad .i started a new job in the autumn of 1966 and john also started on the same day we worked together for about 2 years he had a lambretta li 150 scooter i also bought a bike we used to go out together on runs .i remember he used to say he was visiting a hospital from work i think it was king edwards at rivelin to visit someone .he was saving to get married . he was great to work with and a great mate i was shocked to hear he had died .

Hi Tinker yes our John was visiting me I was in there for a year,yeah he married a lass from Hackenthorpe but it did not last,but he married again has 2 great kids & he was a great brother & to die so young was a tragedy not only for his wife & children but all his family it's great to hear from someone who remembers him.The scooter I remember he bought a union jack leather seat for it, he loved that scooter.

Don't come from Heeley myself but used to go down there a lot in the 50's and 60's :--Plumtree cafe ; Oaktree cafe ; Teenbar ; Rendezvous ; the Bridge ;White Lion ;Red Lion ; Shakespeare.

Some still there but the caffs have gone.

I think the Teenbar was almost unique.As far as I remember,they started 2 Teenbars---one in the East End of London and the Sheffield one.The idea was to combine a coffee bar and a Youth Club. One of the early efforts to stop kids hanging round the streets.!

I had a mate from school who lived about half -way down Slate Street in the mid-50's but had left that address by 1960 [according to Kelly's Directory] His name was John Barrett. Anybody know what happened to the family or remember them at all ?

I used to live on Foster Road up until I was 5. I remember that our backyard was a big shared affair. I used to go into Mr & Mrs Yates house for jam sandwiches - I remember their son Len too.

I went to Anns Road School too. I left Sheffield nearly 20 years ago - I think Foster Road is long gone now isnt it?

Originally posted by Galfie

I used to live on Foster Road up until I was 5. I remember that our backyard was a big shared affair. I used to go into Mr & Mrs Yates house for jam sandwiches - I remember their son Len too.

I went to Anns Road School too. I left Sheffield nearly 20 years ago - I think Foster Road is long gone now isnt it?

Hi G Len was one of my best mates we used to play football outside Millers shop & the bottom of Boynton Street when the old houses were knocked down & made into fields with small new tree's planted,we used the trees as goals. I lived across the road at no 21 Foster Road & The Brays lived in the same yard they had chickens if my memory serves me right,could be wrong though it was a long time ago,yes Foster Road has gone it's a shame it was the best street in the neighbourhood.Len was quite a good footy player as well.

Hello Tosh

My only memories of Len are of a big strapping lad (well I was only 5) and he was very kind to me. I also remember we didnt have a bathroom - just a (very cold) outside loo). There was also a family who had a great big alsation who lived next door - I got over the wall and it was barking at me and it was Len who got me out of there - my hero!

Am I going daft or was there another yard on Foster Road where someone kept a horse?

yes mate I think that may have been the Brays Richard was a good lad,Len was a good mate had many a good time playing subbuteo at his house his Mum & Dad were great & he had a elder brother cannot recall his name,but he was several years older than Len.Cannot recall a horse but some of the lasses down heeley way did have a funny look Only Kidding Lol.I think I remember a little kid living at the side of Lens,maybe that was you.

hiya kath .you must be really puzzled wondering who i am .i do remember you but i dont think you`ll remember me even though i used to live just a stones throw from your back door in carter road till about 1961 .i do know sue very well still see her now and then and like me still lives in sheffield i think you are about the same age as me may be a year or two younger