Who remembers being caned at school?

The sad thing is now kids get caned everyday at school, but not the wooden stick kind.

If punishments like this were still allowed then there might be a bit more discipline installed into the youth of today, and maybe gun/knife crime would not be as high as it is.

Because seriously did being caned turn us all into the monsters that we have on our streets today???? i think not

the cane was wrapped in sellotape yes it hurt size 10 slipper yes it hurt chalk board rubber too so did the ruler on bare legs wish my kids could have had some

did craig live on crowder

At our school we all got the cat 'o' nine tails every day just for being well behaved, 100 lashes in the playground, and then salt was rubbed into the wounds. We loved every minute of it!

In the first lesson, on the first day at secondary school (Frecheville) another lad and I were caned for misbehaving. Our misdemeanour was "fencing" with rulers. The teacher was Mr Lancaster and we were no doubt the example of what would happen if you stepped out of line. If it hadn't been us then someone else would've copped it!

It was a very democratic regime, however, because one teacher (Mr Sharp, I think) let you choose between a fat, short cane or a long thin one. At that point all your physics revision came to mind - force, acceleration, area, pressure etc.

From that point onwards I can only remember being caned once more and that was a case of innocently being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The school was "ruled by the rod " with each member of staff having his or her own method of imposing discipline. I once even saw a teacher throw a pitch fork at a pupil during a gardening lesson. (That was one of the more academic subjects covered!) It landed at his feet and vibrated like a spear in a scene from Zulu. Don't know they're born nowadays , do they?

I got slapped on the leg at Herdings Infants School by Mrs Crump (early 70s). Can't remember what I did to deserve it but it was the closest I ever came to being caned/slippered.

Miss Hornsey of Greystones Sec Mod caned me for forgetting the book White Fang by Jack London. The title is imprinted on my mind 50 years later!!!

Got two strokes on my backside from a sadistic history teacher at King Ted's in 1963. They were hardly deserved but it was worth it for the fame - even though he was a bullying old so-and-so.

Edited by hillsbro

I got slapped on the leg at Herdings Infants School by Mrs Crump (early 70s). Can't remember what I did to deserve it but it was the closest I ever came to being caned/slippered.

I got slapped on the back of the legs too(brunswick junior) All i did was step out of line :o It was Mrs Metcalf, never forget it .

Four of us got the whack from Oggy Gennett in Division Room 1 at Ecclesfield comp. It was on the backside and wasn't a big issue. The Geography teacher was gloating when I entered my class, he couldn't wait to say "sit down lad". We had got lippy with an old bat who accused us of chucking crisps bags on her lawn.

Later a sign went up on the door of Division Room 1 which read "Adolf Hitler is alive and well and lives in Division Room 1".

A few months later I got it again on the palms of my hands for sod all. That hurt. Years later I bumped into Gennett at Hillsboro', he was chairman of English Schools FA and he said "Hello" and I'm afraid to say I told him to something off.

I got slippered by Mrs Dodsworth at Rainbow Forge, with a size 10 plimpsole at age 9 for god knows what. A caning at Carter Lodge for Smoking. Another for using the blackboard as a dart board. I think it was the fact that we used the big blackboard compass as the dart, it was at least three feet long when unfolded.

But the punishments at school pale into insignificance compared to the ones I got off me mam!! :hihi:

When I was at school in the 30s, you got caned for nothing. However many a male bully of a teacher got black eyes from irate steel working fathers. I loved that, cos in the end the teacher daren't touch me. " just wait till me Dad sees what you did "

I seem to remember being caned on a daily basis - going to school in the

1950's and very early 60's ( left school in 1961 ) it wasn't uncommon. Whilst it did me no harm it didn't do me much good either.