Does anybody remember outside toilets in back to back houses

my nan had an outside loo in her yard with squares of newspaper on a string nailed to the door
One of my earliest recollections (aged about 4) was being given the job of cutting the newspaper into squares. We had "The Star" but upper-crust people used the "Sheffield Telegraph". This was on Low Road (Woodland View) and we shared an outside loo with our next-door neighbour Ivy. She and my mum took turns to clean it (it was always spotless - as neither wanted the other to think that standards were slipping). The house ("one down, one up and one further up") was demolished in 1964, but we had moved to Dykes Hall Road in 1952 - and so acquired our own, private outside loo (talk about posh...). That house was demolished in 1982 - as I always say, the house where I was born was demolished in the sixties, the house where I grew up was demolished in the eighties, but I'm keeping one jump ahead of the bulldozers. I've still got the Tilley lamp - I tried to flog it on eBay but it didn't sell. Maybe people don't have outside loos nowadays...

lazyherbert

IZAL at mi' grandma's!!

and mi' grand dad, news of the world or what ever, in two, then four, 6" nail, hammer, back of door, BANG! bog roll!

I remember my brother locking me in scared the s*** out of me ended up stabbing my hand on the nail going straight through ¡¡¡¡¡¡ the nail not the s***

i remember my nans

and the newspaper sheets cut up to wipe your bits on.:hihi:

Do you remember having to wipe your botty on a sheet of paper torn out of "The Star". By Fridaynight (bathnight) it was black bright with newspaper print. That soon muckeyed up t' watter in't tin bath :gag:

I think that my mum used squares from the Daily Mail (well, she was a bit posh...) Outside loos were freezing cold in winter, so you didn't stay there longer than absolutely necessary. And they used to freeze up. I once hurried back to the house and fell flat on my face - I hadn't noticed the frozen puddle. Happy days...

P.S. I like the Lenin quotation in BorderReiver's signature "A lie told often enough..." It reminds me of a quotation from Molotov - "The trouble with free elections is that you can never be sure of the result".

does anybody remember how cold it were in winter

i lived down cliffe and our toliet was right down the yard we never even had an inside bath either

and you lived next to a grave yard

that would give you the shivers

my gran lived in a one up one down Watery Lane and shared the toilet with the next door neighbours who had a son who sang like Dean Martin all the time he was using the toilet.When the singing stopped you knew the toilet was empty and you could the go.And how annoying when you were reading the newspaper on the back of the door

and the interesting part had already been ripped off.

we had an outside loo in pitsmoor in the early 70's.

what with bathrooms and bbq's now. surely it was better in the old days when we ate indoors and s**t outside

and you lived next to a grave yard

that would give you the shivers

one can assume that were Burgess road uncle!!:hihi:

When I was a kid we had outside toilets. We had to share with our neighbour. It was in a communal backyard. However, prior to that there were Middens which had been left standing when the new outside loo was built. People will not believe this at all, but it is true - they actually had double seats (two, side by side). I once got a clip round my ears, as I had been in the flush loo and whilst I was there I had picked a lot of the limewash off the wall. The floor was covered in it. We didn't have any electricity or hot water. There was a 'set pot' (copper) in the kitchen corner - we had to light a fire under it to get hot water. We had a Yorkshire Range in the living room and a gas ring in the kitchen.

Remember it well at mi Gran's.

Nail on the door for the newspaper...oil lamp to stop it freezing.

I remember when mi Gran bought her first roll of Izal, and mi Grandad played hell with her.

He said it spread it, instead of wiped!

I lived on Ripon Street 50's to 1969. Our lav waas about 25 yards away. Had to go for a sit down with an umbrella because some git had nicked the slates off the roof. One day dad gave me a crack because I`d used the bit of paper he had been reading earlier and he hadn't finished reading the article. Sad things about newspaper though it spread rather than wiped.