Does anybody remember outside toilets in back to back houses

does anybody remember how cold it were in winter

i lived down cliffe and our toliet was right down the yard we never even had an inside bath either

We had an inside bath,it was the copper in the kitchen that my mother boiled the whites in.We got in straight after the washing & our skin set like leather afterwards.I think it must have been the starch or something.

does anybody remember how cold it were in winter

i lived down cliffe and our toliet was right down the yard we never even had an inside bath either

we never got bathed as kids any way I kept pigeons in our outside tiolet cuz....:roll:

Do you remember the women of each house in the yards having to empty the chamber pot every morning.

The long trek from the house to the outdside crapper must have been an unsavoury job but they did it without any complaints.

Does anyone also remember the little oil lamps that were left burning in the toilet to avoid them freezing up?

Happy Days????

my grandparents lived down cliffe on shortridge street opposite banners and they had outside toilets, i remember waking up in the middle of the night to got to the toilet i was scared stiff but i got up and went i couldn,t see a thing i just couldn,t imagine my kids doing the same

Didn’t you have one of these.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5f/Pot_de_chambre_2.jpg/667px-Pot_de_chambre_2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Pot_de_chambre_2.jpg&h=600&w=667&sz=42&hl=en&start=4&um=1&tbnid=ZB_Meytp7EZsSM:&tbnh=124&tbnw=138&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dchamber%2Bpot%2B%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN

I lived in a back to back house in the 60's with an outside toilet - we used to have a bucket in the bedroom which we had to take down to the toilet everyday. I used to hate it in the winter.

Then in the 70's I lived again in a house with an outside loo, no hot running water just a cold tap. The toilet was quite a distance from the house and it was awful in the winter when everything got frozen up.

Do you remember the women of each house in the yards having to empty the chamber pot every morning.

The long trek from the house to the outdside crapper must have been an unsavoury job but they did it without any complaints.

Does anyone also remember the little oil lamps that were left burning in the toilet to avoid them freezing up?

Happy Days????

That takes me back we had a little oil lamp,

I remember the spiders mostly,

always looking round before I went in, and for some reason

I always used to sing vo lari at the top of my voice ,

to let my mum know I was still there.

In the sixties we lived in a two up two down terraced house. I even had my daughter at home in the living room, and we didn't have a bathroom, just a small water heater over the kitchen sink! Our toilet was across the yard, one night while I was on the toilet, something furry and warm ran across my foot, I ran across that yard still pulling my pants up. :shocked: I found out later it was a rat.:gag: