Whos car is it?

Hi people,

Got a wierd question. Heres the story.

Last year I bought a MK2 golf and my brother said he would help me do it up if he could drive it when he passes his test and I said ok. As Im disabled and cant do the work myself him and his mates have been working hard on it and now it looks brilliant.

Now my questions is. I paid for the car and for most of the parts, so is the car his, mine or ours?

Him and his mates say its his because he has done all the work on it.

To see whats been done you can see at www.slot-tastic.co.uk

i would tell him to stop been silly mate i help me mates decorate there houses n do there gardens but i dont claim they are mine just cos i have helped do it,thats bascially owning anything you touch in there frame of mind which sounds ok in a jessica alba way but in reality its not gunna happen,sounds like there in it for wrong reason to me:rant:

The person on the log book (VR5) owns the car - this is the registered owner and keeper. Provided you retained the vehicle in your name, you should have no problem.

In appreciation of what work your brother's done though, even though he's being a bit of a numpty, I'd either consider giving him a nice 'thank you' treat in the form of either a present or some cash, or consider putting him on my insurance as a named driver and mutually agreeing a number of days when he could perhaps use the car.

But in answer to your original question, I'm pretty sure that you still own the car.

I'm with Stagewalker on this one, if your name if on the logbook, it's yours.

I know it can be tricky with family though, what about agreeing usage of the car? IE your brother has it for a week if you have no plans?

Him and his mates say its his because he has done all the work on it.
All sorts of alarm bells are going off here :suspect:

Do these sound like the kind of people who would treat the vehicle with respect if you were to loan it out?

If your name is on the log book, it's yours :thumbsup:

The car is yours. You never said he could have the car, just that he could drive it when he passed his test. You had an agreement so stick to it and let him drive it, put him on your insurance but you bought and paid for the car and the parts so it is yours. How likely is it that this is more his friends pushing him to say the cars his than him saying it himself? His friends might just be trying to get their hands on it to drive about in!

Brothers eh.

Dont you just love em. Its yours mate but he has done a lovely job on it and deserves a reward. Maybe StageWakers onto something with the insurance idea. His mates can go jump though as i agree with Kittenta and it sounds like they may be pushing him a bit.

Hope you sort it.

have to agree with every one else the car is yours you bought and paid for it, you covered the cost of parts.

if you ask me your brother & his mates are just being a***holes and trying it on.

Does it still say on the top of the log book "The recorded keeper is notnecessarily the legal owner"?

of course its your car. my brother always sees to my car, thats what familys do, just because he offered to sort it out for you does not mean he has any claim on it, just stick to your end of the bargin to let him borrow it sometimes

Tell them to get lost and stop taking you for a fool. You never know they may have made a few quid on the cost for parts? Its your car, in your name that you paid for. Tell your brother you are happy to stick to the origional agreement and that he should be a bit more picky about his mates. They are quite capable of earning some money and getting a car to do themselves. If they volunteered to do the work then you owe them nothing but gratitude.