Race for life MEGATHREAD

Race for Life 2006  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Race for Life 2006

• Yes I will be running!
    • No I won't be running but have sponsored someone
    • Why are you bothering?

You might get some stick for taking money away from a charity, but in law at least, if they've changed the date without informing you it's almost a certainty that they would be obliged to refund your entry fees.

Only just realised through reading this thread that the date has changed!!! I have checked the sponsor page and the date has changed on there but no-one else has let us know. We are taking part as a group and all of us cant take part the following week due to a wedding!!!! I am gutted and angry that they can just do that!!!! I bet lots of people dont realise and turn up still on the 13th!!!

But it's still on a Sunday. Why are races always on a Sunday? I aint running on a day of rest.

A friend and I booked this weeks ago, and we haven't been told of the change to the date! They should at least sent a email around!

But it's still on a Sunday. Why are races always on a Sunday? I aint running on a day of rest.

It's on a Sunday as it will cause less problems. Imagine closing half of Attercliffe on a weekday!

[quote=kazrim;60

I am aware that this is for charity but now some of my sponsors are not happy as they are paying for me to do it and I cant. should I give them a refund and stand to the amount myself

I may be thick in not knowing how this works, but why have they paid you for something you hav'nt done yet, when I've sponsored people in the past I've always paid after the event ! and if they have paid up front it's their money you would be giving back

I have done 'Race for life' a number of times and am keen to raise money for cancer charities. However, I stopped doing 'race for life' a couple of years ago, when I was informed that none of the registration fee (which i believe is to be over £10 per person now) goes to the charity but pays for people working on the day, the hire of Don Valley Stadium, toilets, administration fees etc.

Am I wrong in thinking these things should be done for free being as it's for charity? With all the thousands of people that participate, this is a lot of money

I now do a 3 mile run through work, where all money, including a £2.50 registration fee goes to various charities.

We phoned this morning regarding the date change and they said they are contacting people by phone to let them know about the change. You can transfer to another date or have a refund.

Does anybody know why the date has changed? I'm on holiday on 20th so I can't do it but been told that I would have to pay £5 to change to another race.

It's quite poor tbh that they haven't let us know.

I think its changed because the weekend 12/13th June is very busy. South Yorkshire hosts the National Bike Safe Event at the Arena, which could see 20,000 - 30,000 visitors :) Obviously, it would be more fun if they were on motorbikes and not jogging dressed in pink :D

.......I believe Don Valley are having big screen action of people kicking a bag of wind about on the 13th......

all in all a total **** up with the planning for all concerned !

Clumber park are doing Race for Life on 18th July for those now not free on the 20th June :(

I may be thick in not knowing how this works, but why have they paid you for something you hav'nt done yet, when I've sponsored people in the past I've always paid after the event ! and if they have paid up front it's their money you would be giving back

when someone sponsors you through the online sponsor page you pay immediately and the money goes directly to the charity, so I have not actually recieved the money directly but the charity has already received it.

We phoned this morning regarding the date change and they said they are contacting people by phone to let them know about the change. You can transfer to another date or have a refund.

Thanks for that info. We can't do the following Sunday as my friend works shifts. It would mean her taking the whole weekend off to do the run.

4 of us from work have signed up for this and one of the girls' friends. We were not told it has changed and I'm not particularly happy about this. I found out by chance. Hopefully I will be available the week after but still, it's a poor show and particularly knowing our fee pays for staff that should be free.