Egg Box building (Town Hall extention)- Was it so awful?

Originally posted by Plain Talker

that is puzzling, panda,

the register office has only just transferred into the town hall, and has never been in the egg-box. are you confusing it with the "wedding cake " building?

PT

yes i was a very confused panda when i wrote that one:loopy:

• 1 year later...

Ugly, out of character with its surroundings. Badly designed, bland in appearance and aesthetics.

An eyesore. Horrible.

Demolishing it? A cracking idea and presenting an opportunity to have a building of some stature, grandeur and 'look-at-me' status.

Yes, the building which REPLACED the eggbox (No 1 St. Paul's) - as ugly as ugly could be I thought at the time - wants reducing to rubble and consigning to the dustbin.

Sheffield City Council gave us the eggbox. Incredibly, utterly unbelievably, they managed to knock that down and find something even more bland, ugly and unsuitable for the landscape.

That takes some effort.

I used to work there too, on the second floor, for about 8 years. The toilets were never filthy as reported in a previous post. However, working in a constantly air conditioned environment spread lots of colds, sore throats etc. The temp was never right in winter, either too cold or too hot. I suffered with sinusitis for years until I left there!

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by barclay

Was the 'Egg box' completely paid for by the time it was demolished?

I can't answer that question, but I do remember a furore at the time it was built because the red tiles covering all the walls in the rates hall were very expensive, at least a fiver each as I remember, and the Council's reply was that the old Town Hall had stood for over 100years, and this new one would do the same! 30 years later.....? :loopy: I can't say the outside was particularly good to look at, though it blended with the old Town hall as much if not more than the buildings that replaced it. It was an innovative plan though. The windows didn't open, the air being circulated throughout the building. It came a cropper when the council got more and more strapped for cash and began cloising other offices and cramming the staff into the eggbox, resulting in all the systems becoming overloaded as they were specifically designed for a certain number of people. The lawn on the roof had to be laid twice. The first one was made of a sheet of polystyrene impregnated with grass seed. It grew OK, but the wind got underneath it and blew it off!

Originally posted by Ousetunes

Ugly, out of character with its surroundings. Badly designed, bland in appearance and aesthetics.

My mate's dad knew the family of the architect of the eggboxes.

And the main problem was the materials which the building was designed to be finished in were vetoed as being far too expensive and they used a cheap concrete material instead. This had the effect of ruining the character shape and beauty of the original building as it was designed.

And thus the building was seen by much of the population as a little bizarre and even ugly.

Once again the blame lies with the Council, who instead of investing in a world class modern building, cut the corners in a short term penny pinching way.

Not the designer and architect who designed what he was asked for and had his design meddled with.

Originally posted by lucasdigital

Well its three years or so since the "new" Town Hall extension was demolished. I always thought it was an interesting looking building, not the eye-sore that many claimed to to be.

I thought it was an excellent piece of architecture and the roof garden outside the canteen was brilliant. I spent many happy hours sitting out there eating my lunch back in the 1980s.

BIG mistake demolishing it.

Archived