Tunnels under Sheffield

Tunnels? Certainly! 2-milers? No way!

Have to agree :)

The tunnel found was heading towards the market hall - this would be the Norfolk Hall market that stood betwen Exchange street and Dixon lane. I suspect it may have been a way to get water into the castle from the moat on the west side.

We don't know for certain how this moat was filled. The 1927-30 survey found the bottom of it to be 33 feet below the surface of Exchange street and it was possibly supplied via a weir and sluice on the Sheaf. Perhaps the same weir that later supplied water to the Simon Wheel in Castle orchards, which is the weir that Leader mentions.

The relationship of weir to the castle is clear on this map

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/Taidi/Ponds.jpg

I'll try to find the time to look at the excvation report on Saturday.

i worked in the bankers draft pub in sheffield, the weatherspoons pub near primark, the building was huge, and definately had tunnels underneath it..on my induction i was taken down into the 'dungeon' area below ground level where there is the entrance to a very long tunnel, some stables, and a huge old lift shaft which actually plumeted deeper to a floor below!.when the building was previously a bank they used the tunnels to transport goods safely under the city. my colleague said she and a friend walked down the tunnel, it was so long that after a while they could no longer see the light behind them from where they had come, and could see no sign of the tunnel ending ahead of them..so they turned back!

i really wanted to explore the tunnels, well i think every1 there did!

these tunnels could have been built with the castle, and adopted years later to serve a different purpose.

The bankers draft is in hartshead square, where there are pictures of the tunnels on picturesheffield and goldenfleece has attested to some being in the dove and rainbow too...

Old banks do have cavernous basements (well at least the old midland bank on Church street does) but that doesn't neccesarily mean it's tunnels.

I know of a bloke on Millhouses lane who had his garden collapse many years ago. It turned out that there was an underground tunnel but no one was about to risk finding where it went.

Also bodies ended up in the cellars of the Acorn Public house on Shalesmore (just about next to the Ship). They had washed along tunnels from the river during the great flood...hence the rumours that club 60 was haunted.

I know this has been mentioned before but do they actually exist and does anyone know where they are

Hiya, I know the thread is regarding Sheffield, but in Liverpool one man 200 years ago had built loads of tunnels ,And if that is your thing you can go and have a look around some of them check this link.( I have been its worth a look )

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2342183.stm

I lived in nottingham for a few years , under part of the city centre there is another town built into the sandstone , a special trip was organised for us , i can honestly say i have never seen something so amazing

I lived in nottingham for a few years , under part of the city centre there is another town built into the sandstone , a special trip was organised for us , i can honestly say i have never seen something so amazing

You mean the tunnels under the castle. I know one of the guides.

Park Tunnel, perchance?

park_tunnel.jpg