Tunnels under Sheffield

I can confirm that there is at least one tunnel leading from the old Manor Lodge to Castle Market. This was open many years ago, quite possible the 60's where u could travel through, but was sealed due to safety issues.

If anyone is interested a new tunnel leading from the old West Bar Police Station to the Fire Station has been discovered, if i remember correctly people are currently petitioning (I dont know how to add yourself to it) to stop the new owner of the Fire Station from completely sealing it before its been investigated

Erm, except Mary Queen of Scots didn't escape from Sheffield?

trying to be funny never said that she escaped from there but it was a route and any what do you know . ive been down in the basement and seen the tunnel my self have you clever clogs .

check the archives .

trying to be funny never said that she escaped from there but it was a route

no, just stating a fact. Try reading you own post again, I could have sworn you said

it was belived that mary queen of scotts used the tunnel to escape

Which archives did you have in mind?

dear algy here are some facts on m q of scotts and the tunnels

in 1569 mary was sent to sheffield in the custody of george the 6th earl of shrewsbury . there she remained for 14 yrs under imprisonment in sheffield castle

her supporters plotted her escape by building a underground tunnel from sheffield castle to manor castle the tunnel passed from beneath the hawle in the pondes in 1583 mary escaped from sheffield castle with her supporters she tuck refuge in the hawle in the pondes before escaping further down the tunnel where she found freedom i think this means she did escape from sheffield .granted she was recaptured but it does mean she did escape from sheffield ..to find out where you read on go to this web site http://www.sheffield oldest pubs sheffield old queens head review

Richmond, that linky just takes me to a site about Florida and air flights.

As for a tunnel passing under the Old Queens Head it'd be a bit difficult with the slope of the hillside, and the fact of the rivers sheaf, porter and don having a confluence in the area.

It'd be hard to tunnel under the river (as pointed out by many of us, in many previous posts on this thread).

If MQoS supporters had achieved the greatest political coup of the 16th Century by means of the greatest engineering feat of the 16th Century we might have the odd document about it. There are none.

i was told as a youngster that there was a tunnel underneath the shakespear pub in heeley and old war relics were found.

hmmmmm

i keep peeking back at this thread as its interesting

BUT!!!!

its still all rumour and hearsay theres been NO PROOF as yet

Yes, where is the proof? If there are tunnels under the city then they will be documented somewhere officially. Unless someone can provide that evidence then I remain sceptical.

I expect that somebody will post a link to a grainy black and white photo from the 1930's with a few blokes crouched in a hole and a caption about tunnels underneath Hartshead. ;)

i can rememeber a tunnel where the gpo buildings now stand on maltravers road