Tunnels under Sheffield

Here we go again...

Those who do believe the tunnels are there can't (or won't) prove it, whilst those who don't believe just pour scorn over any suggestion that there may be.

We need proper pictures, evidence, not just hear say!

At the rear of castle market in town loading bay area, there is a big blue door with a plaque stating it leads to the manor castle, its the loading bay which faces the parkway i seen it yeeears ogo im sure,,,

-------------------- some,

sheffield markets now demolished and new hotels now built around

the site.

---------------

there are tunnels leading up to manor castle

some passages lead up to the old cockaynes arcade,

also pond hill pond street. and to old midland station<< railway>>

----------

they were 2 oak chairs-table-and 2 tumblers

a long sword 3ft long, seen in the tunnels,

passages to glossop road had old coal mines

in 1925 a mrs jenkins was to have seen an old man running

through 6 feet high tunnels.

theyl never find my secret lair muhuhahhahaha

if you go into crookes valley park from the main road entrance at mushroom lane bottom and walk down to the bowling green, hidden in the trees is a large concrete disc with a grating in the centre, i've looked down it and it appears quite deep, it maybe connected to the sewer system or something to do with the tunnels you speak of or alternatively it may be a connection to both, anyone from the parks department on here that may be able to shed some light?.

Oh this one definately exists, and that concrete disc is sort of the access. The actually tunnel runs off to the right under crookes valley road. Not sure what the 'disc' is actually used for, but it is just a straight down hole with tunnels running off. It could be connected to the water works in some way, since there are pipes in there, but the 'disc' is different from the tunnel which runs off it; a lot newer in places. I reckon it's about 40/50ft down the 'disc' and the tunnel off it runs for maybe 100metres and looks to be wartime. Not unlike some air raid shelters in the city - in terms of light fixtures and blast doors.

Nicknamed the Charlton Tunnel, i visited it earlier this year (please don't try and go down that hole near the bowling green, the drop will kill you, and every tunnel needs two entrances. The second entrance for this one is a manhole with Charlton Ironworks on it. It's halfway up / down the hill on the other side of crookes valley road, heading down towards the ponderosa. )

Pictures: http://www.urbx.info/wp-content/gallery/charltontunnel/

At the rear of castle market in town loading bay area, there is a big blue door with a plaque stating it leads to the manor castle, its the loading bay which faces the parkway i seen it yeeears ogo im sure,,,

If we're thinking of the same door, it leads down to a little room with the Sheffield Castle remains inside (is that what you meant? Or do you mean Manor Lodge?)

Oh this one definately exists, and that concrete disc is sort of the access. The actually tunnel runs off to the right under crookes valley road. Not sure what the 'disc' is actually used for, but it is just a straight down hole with tunnels running off. It could be connected to the water works in some way, since there are pipes in there, but the 'disc' is different from the tunnel which runs off it; a lot newer in places. I reckon it's about 40/50ft down the 'disc' and the tunnel off it runs for maybe 100metres and looks to be wartime. Not unlike some air raid shelters in the city - in terms of light fixtures and blast doors.

Nicknamed the Charlton Tunnel, i visited it earlier this year (please don't try and go down that hole near the bowling green, the drop will kill you, and every tunnel needs two entrances. The second entrance for this one is a manhole with Charlton Ironworks on it. It's halfway up / down the hill on the other side of crookes valley road, heading down towards the ponderosa. )

Pictures: http://www.urbx.info/wp-content/gallery/charltontunnel/

Back in the 50's, when I was a kid, the second entrance to this tuneel appeared onto a street (memeory fades but I think it was Bromley Street?). It was nearly always closed off with huge green gates, but I remember one time the gates were open and some men were working in there - all I can remember is seeing this long tunnel, which at 5 or 6 years old looked like the chasm from hell. The street was subsequently earthed over - hence the Charlton Ironworks manhole cover. I think this tunnel is mentioned in more detail on the Sheffield History site - apparantly it was used in WW2 to store barrage balloons etc.

The vertical shaft at other end in the park, used to be protecected by a large surrounding wall - too high for kids to climb, but a 'parkie' told us that we would be killed if we ever did manage to climb it and fall over the other side, "because it was a bottomless pit" :)

I have not been in the park for over 30 years so I can only presume during that time that the wall has been demolished and the disc put in its place - hence some of the work appearing to be 'newer'

Every city has drainage pipes, thats nothing odd. What would be more interesting is if Sheffield has / had tunnels of the sort found in Nottingham.

Everybody says there is but nobody can prove it!

Docmel, that would definately make sense, and confirm the barrage balloon story. I couldn't quite work out why the access to the tunnel was down a manhole, but that would make perfect sense if the entrance was originally gated, and would account for the differing ages in the construction.

The parkie wasn't lying if it was only a wall protecting that drop. If you managed to climb over the other side, the height would almost certainly kill you. HSE would have a fit nowadays haha.

My dad lived near the hundred steps at the crookesmoor end of fawcett street, near the church, I'll have to ask him what he knows about the Bromley Street construction.

I STR him and my grandpa saying there were lots of ducts under that hillside, which were to do with the shedloads of dams and reservoirs coming down from Crookes. (there's the dam at the CV park, and one under the sports ground opposite the Weston Park Hospital, and at least one other, up on Crookes just below the Lydgate lane junction.)

it makes you wonder .how would one go about finding this info

hang em and flog em brigade eh???where do i sign up???

Although i agree, there would be ducts around there, this particular one is definately wartime.

Doh ....Shame about tunnels, If there any it is unlikely we will be able to go down.

There is some sort of old war bunker in Beauchief woods, anybody know anything about this?

The mystery goes on............

Yes, I know what you mean! I've seen it myself. It's on one of the highest hills in the woods, near Beauchief Hall (except it's not exactly in the woods - more in the tall grass overlooking the Hall). You can see it quite clearly from the path that goes around the edge of the Hall grounds. It has a sign next to it, explaining what it is. Quite intriguing.