NOT about Asylum seekers...well...

I don't want to hate it, I mean, I love so many things about our country and I seem to be one of the few people who keeps our heritage going, but I am frequently feeling more and more like I just hate Britain. Not as a whole, but a huge section of the people in it.

I don't want this to degenerate into a debate on Asylum seekers, basically because if I see one more post on 'get back to your own country', 'they're all scroungers', 'they're filling up our schools/hospitals/jobs/council houses', I'll cry.

However, I feel something desperately needs to be done about educating people on the truth about this subject. The inherent racism in the media and complete lies and propaganda that create paranoia and prejudice (have a look at T020's thread on 'Boy refused nursery place - "too English').

Do these people have ANY IDEA what an Asylum Seeker is? They have FLED THEIR COUNTRY BECAUSE OTHERWISE THEY WOULD BE KILLED. The recent asylum seekers exhibition in Sheffield put it perfectly: "We only think about where we are trying to get away from - not where we are going to".

I nearly cried today, after hearing this from someone close to me: A Somalian boy, with very little English and who has been completely rejected by his peers at his new school, has been chanted at by a WHOLE CLASS of children - racist abuse. The teachers were uncaring and indifferent.

What have we become? I am, disgusted by so many of the people of this country for being so unsympathetic and unwelcoming to people who have been through such traumatic times.

I could make this post a lot longer believe me, but I'd rather more people read it than were instantly put off by the length.

The trouble happens when they group "them" all together in one place. It just causes whole areas to be "consumed" as they'd like to put it causing racial tensions.

Glasgow, Hull and Wrexham. 3 places which have a big Asylum Seeker "Problem" because they are herded into ghetto like environments.

It's far more convenient to have society blaming other sections of society for their problems. Be it asylum seekers, the unemployed, single mothers etc.. than to have people look deeper into the root causes of social problems.

in other words, Divide and Rule

Your Somalian boy example - why is propaganda so acceptable when used to support the argument you favour? And don't try to deny that it isn't propaganda. A "tear jerking" tale of the little Somalian lad who did no wrong. It's just the flip side of the the tale about the Somalian lad who came here and raped women. Both are just propaganda tools.

With regards the claim that asylum seekers are fleeing because their life is in danger, this may be true of the majority but there is also a minority who leave for financial gain. There is also the fact that to get to Britain from such war torn countries, one has to cross the borders of several other wealthy, developed Western countries. If you were running for your life would you really add another thousand miles and a channel crossing on to a journey when you'd already reached safety?

I accept that we must accept asylum seekers. On an individual basis if I were to meet one I would have no problem at all because I regard myself as a "nice" person, despite how I sometimes like to come across on here. The concept in general though annoys me that SOME (a minority yes) will abuse the system to leech off UK taxpayers. We already have enough benefit fraudsters so it annoys me that we are importing more. Somehow we need to stop the bogus ones that ruin it for the majority.

Blunketts Permanent secretary John Gieve admitted last night that the UK is very generous to Asylum seekers.

He also conceded that the economic climate and the slow process of decision making was also a likely attraction for them.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3854963.stm

Originally posted by t020

I accept that we must accept asylum seekers. On an individual basis if I were to meet one I would have no problem at all because I regard myself as a "nice" person, despite how I sometimes like to come across on here. The concept in general though annoys me that SOME (a minority yes) will abuse the system to leech off UK taxpayers. We already have enough benefit fraudsters so it annoys me that we are importing more. Somehow we need to stop the bogus ones that ruin it for the majority.

I agree T020. The bogus ones are the problem. They are a real threat to the legitmate ones.

Originally posted by t020

Your Somalian boy example - why is propaganda so acceptable when used to support the argument you favour? And don't try to deny that it isn't propaganda. A "tear jerking" tale of the little Somalian lad who did no wrong. It's just the flip side of the the tale about the Somalian lad who came here and raped women. Both are just propaganda tools.

Nice try, but this isn't a load of codswallop, it happened to one my mum's pupils at one of the schools she teaches at today. I'm not going to name the school (I'll probably get in some right s***), but needless to say, I wasn't trying to be 'tear jerking'. I was just trying to tell people a bit of real life evidence, rather than the warped image the media presents.

Originally posted by noseyrosie

Nice try, but this isn't a load of codswallop, it happened to one my mum's pupils at one of the schools she teaches at today. I'm not going to name the school (I'll probably get in some right s***), but needless to say, I wasn't trying to be 'tear jerking'. I was just trying to tell people a bit of real life evidence, rather than the warped image the media presents.

But that is a warped image. Very few ethnic minorites suffer racial abuse these days. Very few asylum seekers commit rape, but that has also happened so is fact. The Daily Mail could use this to try to portray all asylum seekers as being rampant sex beasts just as much as you can use your story to portray asylum seekers as suffering victims. It's all propaganda.

Sorry guys but this time I feel that T020 is actually talking sense. I feel pretty annoyed by the fact that Britain does seem to be a 'soft touch'.

Other countries accept smaller amounts of asylum seekers and some countries ie Australia, only accept people who earn a certain (massive in my view) amount of money per year!

I know that Britain ruled the world and that the people of the conqured countries helped build the British Empire long ago so perhaps they have the right to live here. BUT I object to 'bogus refugees' using our country - and benefit system, as a free ride.

Plus people such as the 'Muslim extremist Captain Hook guy' only stir things and create bad public feeling.

Also I feel that a refugee who commits sexual crime or drug related crime while under this country's protection should be instantly deported.

Sorry if this isn't worded correctly guys. Its late y'know. ;)

Hmm I also have a few tales to tell about me and my friend's personal experiences with refugees although I don't wish for this to be a slanging match so I'll shut up for the moment.

Sorry Nosey, it's coming up to midnight and the creatures of the night are coming out from under their rocks. I'd put an argument together to support you but I feel it would be wasted on these neanderthals. Sorry again, you're not on your own but I just get dispirited by the narrow minded attitude of some people on here.

Originally posted by max

Sorry Nosey, it's coming up to midnight and the creatures of the night are coming out from under their rocks. I'd put an argument together to support you but I feel it would be wasted on these neanderthals. Sorry again, you're not on your own but I just get dispirited by the narrow minded attitude of some people on here.

Thats a bit harsh isn't it? As a forum for Sheffield surely Sheffielders should be able to speak their minds? When hanging around in town quite alot of the time the subject of refugees and the immigration system are heard on peoples lips.

Just peoples views thats all. Surely the amount of threads dedicated to this subject suggests that it must be quite a hot topic in Sheffield at the mo.

And all people are not narrow minded. Maybe people who try to silence others for airing their views, however right or left wing they may be, are the narrow minded ones.

Sorry but I just want people to have freedom of speech - no matter how nutty they are.

Impressed with your post, Nosey. I wish there was more coverage of the realities that causes most asylum seekers to flee, rather than the handful who exploit the system.