NOT about Asylum seekers...well...

I wasnt sayin treat asylam seekers harshly because..... its just as per usual on this forum everything gets taken over board!!!!!

If someone tries to bring an argument down to personal attacks, or just is trying to have an argument for the sake of it just ignore them and the forum would be a happier place.

Yes some asylum seekers have no idea how to behave in a civilised manner, but when you consider the places they grew up it is somewhat understandable - they need education and understanding.

Equally a lot of Sheffield kids have no idea how to behave in a civilised manner, probably for pretty much the same reason - the poor circumstances under which they were raised. (I'm not using poor in the financial sense here before I am accused of being a snob)

and equally these kids need education and understanding.

If you just lump a whole group in together be it asylum seekers or "chavs" you are condeming those people to never being able to improve themselves, because you will always see them as just one of a bad lot.

Originally posted by theflyingfish

You deserve to be told how ignorant, prejudicial and generalised this post is.

And you need to be told how arrogant, pompous and superior you are.

In fact I am probably being unfair to isolate you. This forum is riddled with the like of you of the 'lets get together and demonise the oposition' mentality. Funny how you employ the same tactics as the bnp in that respect mind, they do say that if you go far enough left and far enough to the right the two will meet.

Originally posted by Mo

In fact I am probably being unfair to isolate you. This forum is riddled with the like of you of the 'lets get together and demonise the oposition' mentality. Funny how you employ the same tactics as the bnp in that respect mind, they do say that if you go far enough left and far enough to the right the two will meet.

So you don't think the phrase Rape is the womans fault in their country isn't ignorant, prejudicial and generalised?

I know we tend to disagree on many things Mo, but surely you wouldn't agree with a sentiment like that.

Originally posted by max

So you don't think the phrase Rape is the womans fault in their country isn't ignorant, prejudicial and generalised?

I know we tend to disagree on many things Mo, but surely you wouldn't agree with a sentiment like that.

If that was what fuzbuz said then I would agree with you Max but he/she didn't say that. As I understood it what fuzbuz said was that attitudes to women in their country of origin is very different to ours here and as such they may behave in a way that was acceptable at home but totally out of place here.

This idea is neither ignorant, prejudiced and gerneralised, it is as it is.

Originally posted by Mo

Yes I probably am arrogant, pompous and superior. I value the fact that I have the ability to see issues holistically and to not take 'facts' at face value. I have a strong feeling for what is right and what is wrong and I will defend that.

I do not think it is right to demonise a whole section of society on the basis of half-truths, fantasies, media scaremongering, racist and sexist prejudice, especially when they are not present to defend themselves.

When we hear these statements we can either ignore them and allow them to be perpetuated, or stand up to them. If that makes me arrogant, so be it.

Originally posted by Mo

If that was what fuzbuz said then I would agree with you Max but he/she didn't say that. As I understood it what fuzbuz said was that attitudes to women in their country of origin is very different to ours here and as such they may behave in a way that was acceptable at home but totally out of place here.

This idea is neither ignorant, prejudiced and gerneralised, it is as it is.

but he did say exactly that (below). So you do agree with max?

Originally posted by fuzbuz

Everyday i pass the peice gardens and see large groups of asylam seekers eyeing up every passing woman & girl and i also commonly see 13 and 14 year old girls flocking round these men thinking its cool to be with older men but what these men dont realise is they can have sex with children and marry children in their country and culture but they cant here!!! I would personally feel safer walking through a bunch of rowdy football hooligans at mid night that i would a group of asylam seekers at 9. Rape is the womans fault in their country this also scares me.

If that is what he meant then of course I agree with Max. Or did he mean that rape is regarded as the womens fault. Perhaps fuzbuz could clarify his meaning.

Kudos to noseyrosie for putting what seems to have been a contraversial point of view forward, and one that I wholly agree with. To put some historical perspective, the UK has been accepting asylum seekers for a very long time. Not least thousands of French Hugenots in the 16th and 17th centuries, and a vast number of Jews from Germany and nearby territories the the late 1930's.

Both of these seem to me to be a good idea, but they were hugely unpopular at the time. The prevailing opinion in 1937 or 1938 was that there were enough Jews in Britian already, that they were spongers/stealing our jobs (sometimes both arguments intertwined), and that Jews were sub-humans who would rape our women. It is from this population movement, fleeing what is now commonly known to be genuine persecution, that many of the most prominent members of the Jewish community are descended.

I bet they are glad that they settled in Britain, rather than Holland, Belgium or France! I am aware that the situation is different today, but it saddens me greatly to see the same xenophobic arguments deployed.

Originally posted by Phanerothyme

but he did say exactly that (below). So you do agree with max?

I would have thought it was obvious (especially to a supreme intellectual like you Phan) that fuzbuz didn't mean that at all.

He meant that in some countries women's rights are so backward that rape is nearly always assumed to be the fault of the woman. An accepted fact, I would have thought.

Perhaps fuzbuz could clarify his meaning.

I've been having trouble understanding fuzbuz's posts. I'm not the spelling police, but it is difficult to decipher one long sentance with no commas. The quote highlighted by Phan above could mean either of these things, but both meanings are tasteless.

Anyway what I wan't to know is why some assylum threads are considered OK and allowed to run and the likes of my thread here was closed down almost immediately.

Come on Geoff lets have some consistant Modding. Either the topic is off line or it's not.