NOT about Asylum seekers...well...

Originally posted by noseyrosie

Gosh, yes! Hilarious isn't it! So amusing! France takes in more asylum seekers than we do.

And? We don't live in France, so however many they take in is irrelevant, they still have to pass through other countries before getting to the UK!

Originally posted by Sony

I have worked with a few asylum seekers and 9 times out of ten they chose the UK as I quote" We get lots more money in england"

thats funny, the ones I know, few in number admittedly, came to london because they have family and friends here. Just shows that anecdotal evidence is not really very useful.

centuries of colonialism mean that we have invited foreign immigrants from all parts of the globe whether as guest workers, slaves,highly skilled migrants, or simply quasi british subjects, over the last 300 years at least.

Small wonder then that Pashtuns, Watussis, Ibo and Ashanti, Maoris, Gurkhas, Persians and Arabs, Israelis and Palestinians all have friends and relations in London and the rest of the UK.

Why would any refugee seek to come to Sheffield rather than say Köln or Venlo or Karlshamn ? Because they are likely to know kith and kin here. Especially with sheffields long industrial history of guest workers who have naturalised.

So sony, who are you quoting and where do they come from?

My friend Jags, who is from the Lebanon, says and I do actually quote here "We had an uncle and aunt who lived in Stoke (Newington), so it seemed obvious to try to get to them, as they could help us get sorted"

Originally posted by PuressenceUK

And? We don't live in France, so however many they take in is irrelevant, they still have to pass through other countries before getting to the UK!

Ok, ok, the stance on this from the asylum exhibition is somehting along the lines of: 'We don't think of where we are going to, only where we are running away from', therefore, they don't 'choose' england in particular, and come here because they may have heard that their family is there. And where's the harm in that. Surely if you'd been orphaned or persecuted oir something, you'd want to be with your family? I would.

I understand what your saying nosierose about them fleeing their country to avoin violence. However where will we flee to avoid the voilence that is braught to our country its not THAT bad at the minute but in years time when i have children i wont let my kids go in to town on their own or anything. Everyday i pass the peice gardens and see large groups of asylam seekers eyeing up every passing woman & girl and i also commonly see 13 and 14 year old girls flocking round these men thinking its cool to be with older men but what these men dont realise is they can have sex with children and marry children in their country and culture but they cant here!!! I would personally feel safer walking through a bunch of rowdy football hooligans at mid night that i would a group of asylam seekers at 9. Rape is the womans fault in their country this also scares me.

Originally posted by Phanerothyme

thats funny, the ones I know, few in number admittedly, came to london because they have family and friends here. Just shows that anecdotal evidence is not really very useful.

centuries of colonialism mean that we have invited foreign immigrants from all parts of the globe whether as guest workers, slaves,highly skilled migrants, or simply quasi british subjects, over the last 300 years at least.

Small wonder then that Pashtuns, Watussis, Ibo and Ashanti, Maoris, Gurkhas, Persians and Arabs, Israelis and Palestinians all have friends and relations in London and the rest of the UK.

Why would any refugee seek to come to Sheffield rather than say Köln or Venlo or Karlshamn ? Because they are likely to know kith and kin here. Especially with sheffields long industrial history of guest workers who have naturalised.

So sony, who are you quoting and where do they come from?

My friend Jags, who is from the Lebanon, says and I do actually quote here "We had an uncle and aunt who lived in Stoke (Newington), so it seemed obvious to try to get to them, as they could help us get sorted"

Lol, I was posting on the same subject as you at the same time. Makes us sound all conspiring...:wink:

SO much to comment on, so little time.....

The origin of the word Propaganda actually originates with Pope Gregory XV in 1622 who set up a group called the Congregatio de Propaganda Fide which developed within a few years to become the arm of the church responsible for centralising missionary affairs of the Catholic Church.

The group eventually became known as the Propaganda, and the broader use of the word took off in the 18th and 19th centuries.

Anyway......

If an asylum seeker is in a position where their human rights (as defined in the UN's Declaration of Human Rights) then of course they should have a right to go to a safe country and plead their case. However. If you have someone turning up at Dover who's progressed through most of Western Europe to get here, then they've been through at least one or two other countries where they could apply for asylum. If they're that desperate, why not apply in France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy?

If we wish to better ourselves abroad, I can't just up sticks and go to, say, Australia and expect to get in and claim benefits and work. I would have to be vetted, have the necessary required skills and 'points', have a job lined up, or, in some cases, have a truckload of money with me to start a new business there. If someone wishes to come and live here from the US, and work, they still have to get work permits and such. All economic migrants, regradless of colour, creed and background should be treated in the same way.

There might be a grey area where a family in, say, Somalia has immediate (not extended) family here who can support them. If so, OK - bend the rules and let them come.

To say that soemone who is in genuine fear of death can cross through several european countries and claim that they would not be as safe in, say, Paris as in London is laughable. The French Government does not have a policy of persecution, neither do we or the Italians or the Germans.

I'd like to be convinced of the suggestions that REAL economic and social benefits come to the country by allowing in economic migrants without suitable credentials. If I could be thus convinced, fine. But until then :

Political / Religious Asylum seekers who've arrived direct from the country they're fleeing - no problems.

Political / Religious Asylum seekers who've arrived after transit through another EU country, or country with no internationally recognised record of persecution - treat as economic migrants and deal with appropriately.

Joe

In the UK, wherever you come from in the world you are almost guaranteed to find a community that speaks the same language and comes from the same culture as you, more than any other country in Europe. If you were fleeing persecution you too would be minded to settle somewhere with at least some cultural and political and social security. Social security that is in the sense of social networks not welfare state.

Originally posted by fuzbuz

I understand what your saying nosierose about them fleeing their country to avoin violence. However where will we flee to avoid the voilence that is braught to our country its not THAT bad at the minute but in years time when i have children i wont let my kids go in to town on their own or anything. Everyday i pass the peice gardens and see large groups of asylam seekers eyeing up every passing woman & girl and i also commonly see 13 and 14 year old girls flocking round these men thinking its cool to be with older men but what these men dont realise is they can have sex with children and marry children in their country and culture but they cant here!!! I would personally feel safer walking through a bunch of rowdy football hooligans at mid night that i would a group of asylam seekers at 9. Rape is the womans fault in their country this also scares me.

Quite simply, you disgust me. I don't think I could even begin to point out why, and I don't think I need to. Anyone reading your post can work it out for themselves.

While we are at it:

It is true that there were a record number of applications for asylum in the UK in 2000, and that that was the highest number of any EU country. Where do UK's asylum seekers come from?

Afghanistan

Somalia

Iraq

Sri Lanka

However, if the figure is measured in relation to the size of the population, the UK comes behind Belgium, the Netherlands, the Republic of Ireland and Austria.

In other words, the UK is by no means alone in being somewhere asylum seekers want to be.

Asylum seekers are entitled to vouchers worth £36.54 a week in the UK, of which £10 is exchangeable for cash. This figure is 30% below the level of normal income support.

"People obviously for a long time laboured under the delusion that people came here for the social benefits. Even when asylum seekers were entitled to benefits this was not true, because other countries have much more generous systems," he says

from bbc.co.ukWow 36 quid a week, they must love it here!!

/sarcasm

Originally posted by fuzbuz

You deserve to be told how ignorant, prejudicial and generalised this post is.

A few facts:

£37.77 a week is what a single asylum seeker gets. (Luxury? Who here could live on that?) Asylum seekers are NOT entitled to welfare benefits.

Britain takes in less refugees than Iran. We are 'ranked' 10th in Europe in terms of numbers.

GPs can accept whoever they want, and there is no question of asylum seekers skipping the queue.

Due to the way the population of the UK is declining, we actually need to take in migrants to keep a stable working population.

On average, people think that 23% of the world's refugees and asylum seekers are in the UK. The truth is, less than 2% of them are in the UK.

Hey all,

Sorry to jump in here but what really borthers me is this recurring theme of sexual assualt.

There is obviously a very dark part of the mind of the bigot. I have no figures to back up this assertion but I am sure that crimes committed by asylum seekers are disproportionately low. Why would someone who is fleeing persecution want to get involved in any illegal activity in the UK?

And much of what is said on this subject is incredibly offensive to a section of society who already have no voice or means of expressing their fears or hopes.

M