Where to go for lunch in the city centre?

might be a bit far out of town but flying pizza does pizza/pasta + soup and coffee for a fiver every lunchtime. it's really lovely food and lots of choice.

las iguanas at west one is pretty good too - very good 241 cocktails

I am looking somewhere nice to take my elderly mum to lunch. any recommendations?

It would need to be pretty central, within easy taxi distance of train station, and ideally somewhere that you can take time over meal, not rush rush rush. Bit of a tall order, this time of year.

thanks very much !

-

Check out this thread:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21071

As I mentioned there and I will mention again, I think Regent Terrace would be a fantastic choice. Just make sure you phone ahead as they will shut down early in the afternoon if they aren't busy.

As you say, your biggest problem will be with it being the seasonal time of year. I tried to get a bite at Hanrahan's on Thursday and it was packed, so I ended up in The Fulwood inn.

Alas, you want city centre and I presume somewhere a little quieter than your average city boozer?

You don't mention what type of food so here's a selection:

1) Yankees - Ecclesall Road. Pizza and steaks, not sports-TV obsessed like Champs, thus quieter. Cheap enough, pleasant too;

2) Ask - Cambridge Street. Pizzas and pasta. Nice place to share a bottle of wine. Could be busy though. Then there's next door:-

3) RSVP and, across the road 4) LLoyds No 1. Both serve decent food in a pub environment;

4) Forum - Division Street. Normally fairly relaxed in the week. Over the road there's a bistro whose name I forget.

5) Nirmal's - West Street. Possibly the only curry house in town open during the day. Not very cheap;

6) Ha! Ha! overlooking the Peace Gardens. Likely to be very busy.

If you've got transport I'd recommend The Fulwood Inn. Once the lunchtime crowd has gone it's nice and quiet and their Christmas deccies are a must-see.

I wish you luck.

If you want somewhere very central, why not try the showroom? Couldn't be much closer to the station. I've never eaten in the cafe, only the bar, but that was good.

http://www.showroom.org.uk/

Or how about the Blue Moon Cafe (St James Street) which does nice vegetarian food.

Antibo's in West One is quite good if you want more restaurant than cafe, but having said that not sure if they are open for lunch!

Have a look at this site

http://www.sheffschefs.co.uk/diral.html

What about macdonalds - the food is reasonable and always fresh and served piping hot

ted

manager of macdonalds plc

Also near the station is the Old Queens Head pub in the bus station or Rutland Arms pub on Brown Street - both do food, or the Pizza place I forget the name of on Howard Street, where the Harlequin chippy used to be.

Another idea is Tony's fish and chip cafe by Ponds Forge - the fish and chips there are decent.

If you were looking for somewhere a bit smarter or special than any of the above then I think you are going to need to look a bit further away from the station, although of course if you go somewhere up Devonshire Green area you could get a tram to the station.

Ruskins is good too, near the Crucible, and the Wig and Pen behind the cathedral is a lovely little place and do great food.

Decisions decisions...

Lions Lair is great for lunch time / evening options

on eccles rd opposite the berkley centre(pizza hut and mini tesco) there is a little italian restaurant that your mum will adore, very nice food, very classy, waitress was a bit naff though

Many thanks to all for the helpful suggestions.

In the end I took my mum for long lunch at the Showroom cafe and it was great.

Lovely food, nice relaxed atmospher and not crowded.

Looking forward to trying the other places in future !

-

Katya

If you want a traditional cafe try the one at the top of flat street.Changed hands recently and its nice and friendly,reasonably priced and the food is traditional stuff,homemade meals.Its now called 'Copleys'.Near to bus/rail station and underneath a car park....ideal eh?