Having a fire

The Parkwood site poses a risk in my ways, rats, smell toxic waste i could go on but the reason the council has eventually listened and closed it is due to the fact that a new housing estate has been built over looking it and the newresidents have complained about the smell.

I lived on Penrith Road during the early 1980s and the smell was just as bad then but despite complaints from locals about the smells especially in summer all pleas were ignored.

New residents that have lived there 2 minutes in smart private houses complain having known the tip was there when buying there house get the tip closed.

Hypocracy in my book.

Originally posted by "The Cycleracer"

New residents that have lived there 2 minutes in smart private houses complain having known the tip was there when buying there house get the tip closed.

Hypocracy in my book.

Yes I was thinking that some months ago! Couldn't new residents see/smell it when they viewed the show houses? But at least you say it is closed now (although I have not been able to verify this). But where new waste produced by the incinerator will be dumped, or what will happen to the existing landfill site, I don't know.

I don't wish to scaremonger, but I've read toxic waste at the landfill site could find its way downhill to the River Don

http://www.burngreavemessenger.org.uk/messenger/february2002/dumped.shtml

Would you believe the landfill site is next to a nature reserve? Only in Sheffield, eh!

I heard from someone alledgedly in the know that the cause of the smells at parkwood was that of congealed blood from the local slaughter houses burried some time ago underneath the rubbish, thats one of the things that attracts the rats!!

if my memory serves me right at one time in sheffield Householders who was in the boundry of the sheffield city council could burn garden waste ONLY FROM at 6pm/18-00 .and there was a by-law stated to the fact that only garden waste. i think it came in just after the war when the estates were being built and people had hedges etc.But now im told every area housing office has there own rules on Garden Fires,but i seem to think the by-law is still standing because there are still coke fires in the houses due to the old miners coal concession etc . and the same by-law was brought in along with the boundry hedge ownership etc.

Originally posted by The Cycleracer

The Parkwood site poses a risk in my ways, rats, smell toxic waste i could go on but the reason the council has eventually listened and closed it is due to the fact that a new housing estate has been built over looking it and the newresidents have complained about the smell.

Bad news, Cycleracer.

I contacted Parkwood Landfill Action Group to verify if the landfill site was closed, but they told me it's still open. They're having an AGM on July 4th at Roe Lane Community Centre, at 6pm, if anyone is interested in attending.

Archived