Rant: Parking at Centertainment

Hook

The motorists have a very simple way of ensuring the Council raises no revenue at all. Don't contravene the restrictions.

The council will always use motorists as a cash cow . If they dont raise the revenue from parking tickets they will fleece motorists another way .

It really is a mystery to me why anyone would think it's acceptable to park illegally. The restrictions are in place to keep traffic moving or for safety reasons - so why do people like Penistone 999 seem to think that legitimate enforcement of the restrictions is a bad thing?

If everyone parked legally, we would all be safer on the roads and traffic congestion would not be as bad as it is currently. People who park illegally are either not bright enough to check the signs and lines, or they park illegally deliberately. Either way, it is not acceptable.

There is a simple way to avoid having to pay a penalty charge - park legally. Then the debate about why the camera car is being introduced would be pointless. Those people who continue to park illegally will be hit in the pocket. Those who don't have nothing to worry about.

It really is a mystery to me why anyone would think it's acceptable to park illegally. The restrictions are in place to keep traffic moving or for safety reasons - so why do people like Penistone 999 seem to think that legitimate enforcement of the restrictions is a bad thing?

If everyone parked legally, we would all be safer on the roads and traffic congestion would not be as bad as it is currently. People who park illegally are either not bright enough to check the signs and lines, or they park illegally deliberately. Either way, it is not acceptable.

There is a simple way to avoid having to pay a penalty charge - park legally. Then the debate about why the camera car is being introduced would be pointless. Those people who continue to park illegally will be hit in the pocket. Those who don't have nothing to worry about.

Totally agree. OP has parked illegally and been fined accordingly. However, there are several underlying problems causing folks to do that.

When there's an event at the Arena it's bedlam. I got parked one night and had a meal, then had the misfortune to come out at the same time as an Arena performance. Took me almost 40 minutes to get out of the car park!! Rather spoiled my evening when fellow diners had got home by tram before I'd even left the premises! Obvious answer there - public transport all or part of the way?

Even when there isn't an event the car park fills early most evenings. Try parking a little further away, like the Carbrook Hall Road area, behind the Carbrook pub, or Tinsley Park Road across the bridge? There are other legal places to park not too far away.

• 2 months later...

Received a parking fine Saturday night at Centertainment for parking on a kerb (causing no obstruction to anyone) as the whole place was rammed as usual. I believe it's a private company, does anyone know if this is legal? £100 fine down to £60 if paid within 10 days. It's always the same story at Centertainment, there are insufficient parking facilities for the number of people who visit. Great customer service....cause stress driving round for half an hour, miss your film, late for your meal and then some fat cat makes a killing with £100 parking fines. Why not put 2 fingers up to customers because that's effectively what you're doing. Any advice welcome to avoid paying it please and no I won't be visiting centertainment ever again so that's a lost customer in this tough economic climate, makes perfect business sense to someone I guess???

Received a parking fine Saturday night at Centertainment for parking on a kerb (causing no obstruction to anyone) as the whole place was rammed as usual. I believe it's a private company, does anyone know if this is legal? £100 fine down to £60 if paid within 10 days. It's always the same story at Centertainment, there are insufficient parking facilities for the number of people who visit. Great customer service....cause stress driving round for half an hour, miss your film, late for your meal and then some fat cat makes a killing with £100 parking fines. Why not put 2 fingers up to customers because that's effectively what you're doing. Any advice welcome to avoid paying it please and no I won't be visiting centertainment ever again so that's a lost customer in this tough economic climate, makes perfect business sense to someone I guess???

Go by tram, use park and ride.

Its NOT a fine ,its an unenforcable "Invoice" . You do NOT have to pay this , it is worthless . Im assuming the invoice was issued by VCS parking. Just ignore it and any further fake solicitors letters they may send you in the post threatening court action .

I'm sorry, but the people who park on the pavements infuriate me! They deserve to be fined, if you did that anywhere in the city, you'd be fined. So you shouldn't get special dispensation because it's centertainment.

I understand that there aren't enough parking spaces in general, but meadowhall is only just down the road...

Better still, just don't visit Centertainment, find an alternative where you can park for nothing.

I hear there's this little place not far from centertainment, it has a few parking spaces,cinema and food shops it's called meadowhall for those not in the know.

Archived