Reading A Newspaper Online.

5 hours ago, pattricia said:

I was told you have to pay a subscription for newspapers online. Also do you get a television program page online ?

You can usually read them for free - I do, if anyone suggests an article they think is of interest, otherwise I don't bother, but presumably you might get a slightly more in-depth edition if you pay? Certain papers, like Financial Times/The Times are subscription only, but most mainstream have 'free' online versions.

I use Radio Times.com for the odd time I   bother looking for TV programmes, but there are numerous other options.

5 hours ago, pattricia said:

Yes, I also think that.

I'd imagine it's a bit odd at first. You're used to the big 'physical' newspaper, then you move that to a mobile device.

My mum (88) won't have any of it. Newspapers and books 'must' be made of paper. Not a chance of changing her mind! ;) 

Like @RollingJ, I just click the odd link from here and other websites that might lead a newspaper site. I don't buy papers (never have)

2 minutes ago, zach said:

I'd imagine it's a bit odd at first. You're used to the big 'physical' newspaper, then you move that to a mobile device.

My mum (88) won't have any of it. Newspapers and books 'must' be made of paper. Not a chance of changing her mind! ;) 

Like @RollingJ, I just click the odd link from here and other websites that might lead a newspaper site. I don't buy papers (never have)

I used to - until about 20 years ago, when most of them became comics.

Just now, RollingJ said:

I used to - until about 20 years ago, when most of them became comics.

I was just thinking back, and I did buy The Mirror years ago. So I told a small lie! In my defence, I only did the crossword during my break, then binned it/gave it away.

Fully agree on the 'comic' comment. Plus, as Pat said earlier, it's an expensive weekly cost now. I dare say that applies to the 'real paper' ones, or online subscriptions.

1 minute ago, zach said:

I was just thinking back, and I did buy The Mirror years ago. So I told a small lie! In my defence, I only did the crossword during my break, then binned it/gave it away.

Fully agree on the 'comic' comment. Plus, as Pat said earlier, it's an expensive weekly cost now. I dare say that applies to the 'real paper' ones, or online subscriptions.

I'd hate to think what the print editions cost now, but the online subscription prices - those I have looked at - seem 'reasonable' - still not paying, though. 😀

7 hours ago, pattricia said:

I was told you have to pay a subscription for newspapers online. Also do you get a television program page online ?

I buy 1 newspaper a week Pat, The Sun on a Saturday, and  I only buy it for the television guide..

Get all my news from the BBC channel.

You get what you pay for. Ok, if you're happy with a 'comic' or sloppy journalism, but if nobody buys a newspaper or takes out an online subscription, where is the revenue going to come from to retain the high quality and investigative journalism which can still be found? Advertising? Who wants to go to a news website that is swamped with intrusive adverts?

Not sure about S Yorks but here in Derbyshire you can log in with your Library Card and get access to  Pressreader. You can download the Mail, Mirror, Star, Telegraph, Guardian, Independent,  and loads of magazines all for free. You can't get the Times or Sheffield Star.

• Like 2