Preppers & Survivalists

1 hour ago, rogets said:

A chance to reap the rewards of hard work

Free education

Cheap housing

Affordable cost of living

Affordable car usage + holidays etc....

A few examples

Explain the free education please as I don't understand. 

Houses were not cheap when I bought mine, I had to borrow for a deposit and get a mortgage.

Cost of living, I will give you that but I remember not having the boiler on all the time due to the costs and my parents always telling us off for keeping lights on.

I've never seen so many new cars on the streets, I had to buy an old banger as did all of my mates and we all worked, do you see Gen Z driving clapped out old cars?

Check out Facebook, it's full of Gen Z folk on holiday.

2 hours ago, rogets said:

And lets not forget that when Mrs T was in charge, you could still buy a house for peanuts

Buying a house for peanuts has never been the case in my opinion .It has always been the biggest major purchase for most people and my circle of friends who all bought houses in their early to late 20s did so based on saving for a deposit and getting a mortgage base on a multiplier of around 2.5 times of earnings.

We did have the hope and expectation that after a few years that our earnings would rise to make things more affordable but had to contend with a rapid escalation of interest rates at times.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Buying a house for peanuts has never been the case in my opinion .It has always been the biggest major purchase for most people and my circle of friends who all bought houses in their early to late 20s did so based on saving for a deposit and getting a mortgage base on a multiplier of around 2.5 times of earnings.

We did have the hope and expectation that after a few years that our earnings would rise to make things more affordable but had to contend with a rapid escalation of interest rates at times.

If you could afford to buy a house on a part time wage, then that is peanuts in comparison to what young people have to spend buying a house.

I bought my first home on a part time wage

Bank of mum and dad not needed

Edited by rogets

1 hour ago, RJRB said:

Indeed.

Where were all these cheap houses for peanuts because obviously I didn't find them?

1 hour ago, RJRB said:

I guess it all depends on location and what you want and if you're prepared to start at the bottom of the housing ladder.

When I considering buying in 1992 I remember seeing a 2 bed terrace in Page Hall for  £8000.

2 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

Indeed.

Where were all these cheap houses for peanuts because obviously I didn't find them?

They were everywhere, houses from as little as £8000, to ones at Wisewood for £30,000, Handsworth too, you could get a 2 up and 2 down for 25 to 30k until the early 2000s (around 2003)

Detached houses in leafy areas like Lodge Moor were only 90k

And wages were still good in those days with time and half and double time being the norm in the 90s

Just now, rogets said:

They were everywhere, houses from as little as £8000, to ones at Wisewood for £30,000, Handsworth too, you could get a 2 up and 2 down for 25 to 30k until the early 2000s (around 2003)

Detached houses in leafy areas like Lodge Moor were only 90k

And wages were still good in those days with time and half and double time being the norm in the 90s

But back then, I couldn't afford one at Lodge Moor.

2 hours ago, alchresearch said:

I guess it all depends on location and what you want and if you're prepared to start at the bottom of the housing ladder.

When I considering buying in 1992 I remember seeing a 2 bed terrace in Page Hall for  £8000.

I bet they are still about that price!!!

4 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

But back then, I couldn't afford one at Lodge Moor.

BUt you surely could have afforded a house in Hillsborough, Woodseats up until around the year 2003?

I know I could afford a house at 1990s/early 2000 prices on a part time wage

Love to see the younger generation try to buy a home with one part time wage