21 minutes ago, peak4 said:

I'm not sure if this belongs here or on the Conservatives thread, though it would likely get hidden too quickly there;

Quite a good thread, rolled up by Threadreader for those without a Twitter account.
Plenty of links to follow within for further evidenced explanation.

This thread explores the crisis the NHS is facing, how the crisis came about, why it has not been fixed and what we should do to fix it. 
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1730244798223724925.html

Can anyone remember what happened around 2010 that could be so significant?

If you don't like Twitter threads, see The Metro amongst others, for attribution of the same graphic, but note the date
Hate the NHS? Well, apparently Britain now has the BEST healthcare system in the world

In July, we launched the Rational Policy-maker’s Guide to the NHS in Parliament …

The report pointed out that the Conservatives inherited the best healthcare system in the world…

image_2024-03-27_180054692.png

You are turning into Chekhov. 

Just now, hackey lad said:

You are turning into Chekhov. 

If he says Cobblers or claims that everyone he knows agrees with him, I'm calling multiple accounts 

Cobblers 

• Haha 1

The Conservatives inherited the best healthcare system in the world.

Ooops

6 hours ago, Norbert said:

Ooops

Politics don’t mend broken bodies, anything one party does is wrong according to the other, if only 24% of the folk surveyed are satisfied then something is wrong.

Another useless survey.  It makes no difference what we say or think.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Norbert said:

Ooops

Yeah, with no money to fund it. 

A bit like being given a mansion and then finding you can't afford to heat it or pay the council tax.

For just £13bn of investment, the NHS has been landed with an £80bn bill. NHS trusts will pay £2.1bn on PFI repayments this year, rising to over £2.5bn in 2030 and taking money away from vital patient services.

NHS hospital trusts paying hundreds of millions in interest to private firms

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/oct/25/nhs-hospital-trusts-paying-hundreds-of-millions-in-interest-to-private-firms

Some hospitals are spending more on PFI debt than they are on drugs

https://www.newstatesman.com/spotlight/healthcare/2022/05/pfi-repayments-are-costing-some-hospitals-twice-as-much-as-drugs

NHS hospital trusts to pay out further £55bn under PFI scheme
Some spending one-sixth of entire budget on repaying debts from Blair-era policy

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/12/nhs-hospital-trusts-to-pay-out-further-55bn-under-pfi-scheme

• Like 1

Credit where it’s due just heard from NGH re-my shoulder. 🤙

• Like 1

Doing the survey would be like answering questions about a clapped out and unreliable old car.  A new one is what is needed!

Unfortunately, the new model would need to be bigger, more efficient and value for money.  I wouldn't trust HM Government to be able to deliver anything like that.

Here's a recent experience that will explain the 24%

I became ill and needed to call my GP and get an appointment. 

My GP opens at 0830. 

I began my first call at 0830 on the dot. Busy tone. I continued to call by setting my phone on auto-redial. At 0852, having made 80+ attempts to get through I gave up.

Now I have the option of calling a private GP through my employer's healthcare plan so I opted to fall back on that, all my employer asks of us is that we try to get NHS help first.

I went on to the online portal, requested a GP call and within 15mins I had a video call, gotten help and advice and a doctor's note advising that I was not fit for work for the following 7 days. 

Using the online portal was easy, there's was no medically unqualified desk-nazi trying to diagnose me and gatekeeping the GP & my appointment was quick and easy. My appointment was actually schedule to "within 30 minutes but the GP called about 3 minutes after submitting the appointment request. 

Private 1 - 0 NHS

I go private anyway, it only costs £200 to see a doctor and I can get an appointment within a couple of days