Too Many Cars.

4 hours ago, Chekhov said:

You may be surprised to hear this but car use, in terms of total passenger km has hardly gone up for years :

spacer.png

Is that based on the mileage per car, or per passenger? The axis label would suggest the latter, which means it doesn't reflect the potential increase in cars.

2 people in one car travelling 10km is 20 passenger kms.

2 people in two cars (one each) travelling 10 km is 20 passenger kms as well, but double the number of cars on the road.

5 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Yep, that's me.

I feel so 'unfilled'  

Totally enjoyed every second 8).

(even the breakdowns are character building :suspect:

You've never lived till you've changed carbs in the middle of nowhere with no street lights and only a torch for illumination 😀.

Normal people wouldn't do it :huh:  

Or the throttle cable broke on my A65 recently, but managed to get back home with running repair.

4 hours ago, Padders said:

Try changing a flat tyre on an Artic, toppa Woodhead pass.

Middle of January, force 10 gale blowing a blizzard, and temperature -8.

All done in a T-shirt.

Thas not lived Rocker!

Amateur 🙄. Us Jocks would have done the same wearing the Kilt minus the T shirt and playing 'Bagpipes' at the same time,  

just to annoy you Sassenach's    

Bagpipes and kilt. | Men in kilts, Redhead men, Scotland men

'tiss windy around the Trossachs this time of year :blush: 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

Is that based on the mileage per car, or per passenger? The axis label would suggest the latter, which means it doesn't reflect the potential increase in cars.

2 people in one car travelling 10km is 20 passenger kms.

2 people in two cars (one each) travelling 10 km is 20 passenger kms as well, but double the number of cars on the road.

Anecdotally I do not think there are any more cars on the roads than there were 10 years ago, which is what that graph is saying.

One of the problems with cars on roads is that there are as many parked cars,  taking up road space and creating single file traffic,  as there are cars which are actually being driven.

5 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Anecdotally I do not think there are any more cars on the roads than there were 10 years ago, which is what that graph is saying.

Well...no, I don't think that graph is saying that - that's way I'm querying it. You can't determine from that graph how many cars the 600-700billion passenger kms are being done in. It could be in 1 car (tight squeeze) or 700 billion cars.

We'd need to see what the average occupancy rate per car on the road had done over the same period. If it's gone down (and I believe these days it's around 1.2 persons per car) then that means more cars on the road, even if the overall distance travelled by all passengers is roughly the same.

It's the exact same principle of 50 people in a bus taking up much less space than 50 people each in their own car.

Anecdotal evidence isn't very reliable but for what it's worth, I think there has been a clear increase in the number of cars on our roads, up to 2020 when covid hit. In fact, I think I'm right in saying 2020 was the first year since the second world war when new registrations of cars in the UK did not increase. Cars are also bigger these days, causing even more issues in terms of road space, parking/storage etc., even if the number of miles travelled hasn't increased.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, carosio said:

Or the throttle cable broke on my A65 recently, but managed to get back home with running repair.

My Uncle was a bit handy with cars and motorbike.  One day I was with him in his Reliant , clutch cable broke so he rigged up some string to the lever on the engine and drove with it over his shoulder. When it came to changing gear he pulled the string and told me to change gear . For an eight year old, it felt like I was driving the

car  😃

16 hours ago, Padders said:

My main means of transport is Shanks Pony.

I’d happily live without a car. Helps having an old codgers free bus and tram pass plus reductions by train travel

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

No - the graph is evaluating 'share' not 'amount'.

in the last 10 years, the number of cars has gone up from about 30million, to 33million.

www.statista.com

45 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

We'd need to see what the average occupancy rate per car on the road had done over the same period. If it's gone down (and I believe these days it's around 1.2 persons per car) then that means more cars on the road, even if the overall distance travelled by all passengers is roughly the same.

what's hidden in that number, is that some (many?) cars are effectively empty - driving to, or returning from, dropping off a family member.

how many car journeys are made ferrying teenage kids around?  - only to temporarily return home, effectively empty.

(4 car journeys, to move 1 person to and from 1 destination)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

My Uncle was a bit handy with cars and motorbike.  One day I was with him in his Reliant , clutch cable broke so he rigged up some string to the lever on the engine and drove with it over his shoulder. When it came to changing gear he pulled the string and told me to change gear . For an eight year old, it felt like I was driving the

car  😃

Clutch cables were always going on't Mlk1 Transits.

Finished many a milk round without one.

Start her in gear & off you go 🥴

Happy daze :blush:

1 hour ago, hackey lad said:

car  😃

What was your uncle called hackey, Trotter?😃

echo.

6 hours ago, Padders said:

Try changing a flat tyre on an Artic, toppa Woodhead pass.

Middle of January, force 10 gale blowing a blizzard, and temperature -8.

All done in a T-shirt.

Thas not lived Rocker!

You had a T- shirt on?

Pathetic.

A real man would have had a white tank top only.

• Haha 1