Mental Health For Men Is There Enough Support ?

19 hours ago, leviathan13 said:

For me, we need to get back to separating mental health issues from just building some level of resilience to the world.

I don't necessarily disagree with the term 'man up' as i do think some of the issues we suffer as a society are simply because we've gotten soft as a species thanks to the evolution of technology to make everything easier. That's not to take away that some people do need help and those people should be able to access support more quickly, but they can't because it's clogged with people who just need to grow a stronger spine.

The term 'toxic masculinity' really doesn't help! And, with this, 'mansplaining'. Basically, men are being shut down in discussion and are showing the 'wrong' emotions. We can't win and that's what's causing the rise of the likes of Andrew Tate.

Part of this issue is the section of society - younger females - who want to be strong and independent, earn their money by getting naked on Onlyfans, who have completely shunned traditional values, but still expect the man to be traditional; pay for meals, have a high income to pay for cars and houses so the woman can spend her money on herself etc.

Young men coming through are confused and damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Excellent post, agree with everything you say.

The general public, especially young ladies will want men to show their masculinity if we get invaded though, and obviously keep paying them money via only fans!!   But apparently men are useless and not required according to many feminists.

1 hour ago, Al Bundy said:

Excellent post, agree with everything you say.

The general public, especially young ladies will want men to show their masculinity if we get invaded though, and obviously keep paying them money via only fans!!   But apparently men are useless and not required according to many feminists.

Would you say feminists are in the minority,  I'm wondering if they include women who only want to be independent,  make their own decisions - who aren't staunch feminists.

I also wonder if there are that many men who are married to feminists.   Both should find out these things before settling down - wise up guys,  that hourglass figure could be hiding a dragon,  and it is the year of the dragon.

2 hours ago, cressida said:

Would you say feminists are in the minority,  I'm wondering if they include women who only want to be independent,  make their own decisions - who aren't staunch feminists.

I also wonder if there are that many men who are married to feminists.   Both should find out these things before settling down - wise up guys,  that hourglass figure could be hiding a dragon,  and it is the year of the dragon.

I would argue the definition of 'feminist' (as with most words today) has 'evolved' into women who want to have their cake and eat it.

It's now a man-hating, male-bashing, hypocritical philosophy promoted by confused young women who have been lied to by the media and the world.

It's no longer about equality and all about making as much money as possible.

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, leviathan13 said:

I would argue the definition of 'feminist' (as with most words today) has 'evolved' into women who want to have their cake and eat it.

It's now a man-hating, male-bashing, hypocritical philosophy promoted by confused young women who have been lied to by the media and the world.

It's no longer about equality and all about making as much money as possible.

Blimey.

3 minutes ago, Hecate said:

Blimey.

I was going to respond, but my command of the English language isn’t as good as yours.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

I was going to respond, but my command of the English language isn’t as good as yours.

Same here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hecate said:

Blimey.

I was being blunt...

I do think the politics have changed. Look at how Germaine Greer is now being treated for her view on the trans agenda... much of the bile coming from the modern feminist corner.

As i've grown up i've developed more respect for the first couple of feminist movements and what they stood for. But, the modern young woman i feel fits my original description.

• Like 1

There isn't enough help for mental health, full stop. 

But I do agree men are probably having a particularly bad time at the moment. 

The world is changing. Fast . The old rules are being swept away and replaced with a mish mash of ill thought out illogical claptrap. People are all over the place trying to keep up.

No wonder mental health is at an all time peak.

Nobody knows which way is up anymore. 

On 28/02/2024 at 08:05, Anna B said:

The world is changing. Fast . The old rules are being swept away and replaced with a mish mash of ill thought out illogical claptrap. People are all over the place trying to keep up.

I agree…..

There has been an explosion of mental health issues in recent years…..

To me banging on about your problems doesn’t really help it just makes it worse….

If you broke your arm you wouldn’t continuously talk about it would you…

Another thing that annoys me is that there are far to many people who are not qualified to give advice on mental health issues ie radio presenters,staff that have only NVQ qualifications and so on….

Do you know many mental health issues are brought on by taking drugs and this can bring on drug induced psychosis….

The psychosis episode will last for a while but if that person gets well mentally and never takes drugs again they will never have a drug induced psychosis episode again….

This is common knowledge within the medical profession but is not widely spoken about but it should because it would help so many people out there who are suffering….

And another thing the whole phrase mental health should be replaced with wellbeing there is far to much stigma attached to the previous term….

On 28/02/2024 at 08:05, Anna B said:

I agree…..

There has been an explosion of mental health issues in recent years…..

To me banging on about your problems doesn’t really help it just makes it worse….

If you broke your arm you wouldn’t continuously talk about it would you…

Another thing that annoys me is that there are far to many people who are not qualified to give advice on mental health issues ie radio presenters,staff that have only NVQ qualifications and so on….

Do you know many mental health issues are brought on by taking drugs and this can bring on drug induced psychosis….

If someone has had child trauma or even adult trauma and participates in drug taking it can trigger there trauma and bring it to the forefront and cause psychosis….

The psychosis episode will last for a while but if that person gets well mentally and never takes drugs again they will never have a drug induced psychosis episode again….

This is common knowledge within the medical profession but is not widely spoken about but it should because it would help so many people out there who are suffering….

And another thing the whole phrase mental health should be replaced with wellbeing there is far to much stigma attached to the previous term….

On 26/02/2024 at 12:45, leviathan13 said:

For me, we need to get back to separating mental health issues from just building some level of resilience to the world.

I don't necessarily disagree with the term 'man up' as i do think some of the issues we suffer as a society are simply because we've gotten soft as a species thanks to the evolution of technology to make everything easier. That's not to take away that some people do need help and those people should be able to access support more quickly, but they can't because it's clogged with people who just need to grow a stronger spine.

The term 'toxic masculinity' really doesn't help! And, with this, 'mansplaining'. Basically, men are being shut down in discussion and are showing the 'wrong' emotions. We can't win and that's what's causing the rise of the likes of Andrew Tate.

Part of this issue is the section of society - younger females - who want to be strong and independent, earn their money by getting naked on Onlyfans, who have completely shunned traditional values, but still expect the man to be traditional; pay for meals, have a high income to pay for cars and houses so the woman can spend her money on herself etc.

Young men coming through are confused and damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Agree with 80% of what you say. Last two paragraphs are a bit whingey though

Whilst not wanting to minimise the distress that many people experience, after all suicide is devastating for everyone, I do think that all discomfort and distress is over medicalised these days. This applies equally irrespective of gender / sex. 

I think there is merit in facing your fears, being stoic, instead of thinking or believing that all feelings, emotions and negative thoughts are “ illness”. I blame the psychiatric profession for this