Memories Of Sheffield Forum

17 hours ago, peak4 said:

I'm guessing you might mean Plain Talker, mentioned earlier, who sadly died a little while ago.
In later years, she had her forum description as "Happy Hijaabi"

HappyHippy was the mod who died. Plain Talker was never a mod. 😉

21 hours ago, cressida said:

Hecate and Chekov may have been a tad outspoken,  but that can happen when when big personalities are 'gagged', 

forum loss.

Whilst 'gagging' outspoken members is never a good thing, there are times when those members go too far, get asked to reign it in and refuse. The fact that they've been asked to calm down seems to embolden them into continuing and sometimes worsening their behaviour. 

I've been on many forums, including running my own for a while, and seen it happen plenty of times. 

17 hours ago, peak4 said:

Yes you're quite right of course.
I thought I could remember that name from not long after I joined, but added a space in the name when I searched.
They last posted in 2010; I joined in 2008 after I'd been nattering to Mort over a beer or three.

It's hard to imagine someone nattering away to Mort over a beer. I always thought of her as a fearsome mod who certainly didn't suffer fools gladly. She was quick of the mark to use her 'banning stick' I often wondered what she was like in real life.

17 hours ago, Longcol said:

Wasn't Lord Chaverly was it ?

No, there was a Lord Snooty. As far as I remember he took on the persona of the Beano's Lord Snooty and posted as such.  He was very entertaining, a bit of a loss to the forum when he left the forum, in my opinion.

8 minutes ago, Resident said:

Whilst 'gagging' outspoken members is never a good thing, there are times when those members go too far, get asked to reign it in and refuse. The fact that they've been asked to calm down seems to embolden them into continuing and sometimes worsening their behaviour. 

I've been on many forums, including running my own for a while, and seen it happen plenty of times. 

Agreed.

Not sure that Hecate was gagged, and she never really got out of control, or anything like that. However Checkov, just got ridiculous in the end. He turned every thread into one about Covid or himself. He liked to call others 'authoritarians', but seemed to be a bit of a control freak himself.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DUFFEMS said:

Rossyrooney was another good poster who sadly passed away some years ago. 

Alcoblog was another poster with a good sense of humour along with Basilrathbon, both just disappeared. 

Hope Padders and the Daddy continue to post, I enjoy their sense of fun. 

Regards

Duffems

Rossrooney and Alcoblog, of course. Brings back memories of the old days. I mate of mine once confided in me that I actually knew Basilrathbon in real life. If he was right then Basil had two SF accounts. He recently started posting using his 'non basil' account if that makes sense.

Agree with you about  Padders and Daddy. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Padders said:

She certainly was Mr. Hauxwell.

Controversial, and a bit of a bad girl!

We need more characters like Irene on the forum.

Life is full of odd-balls, Hurricane Higgins, Ronnie O'sullivan, Paul Gascoigne, Eric Cantano, George Best, Mike Tyson, Muhammad Ali, John Mc'Enroe, Ilie Nastase, To name a few.

But guess what, we love em, they fill stadiums around the World.

Sadly I find that Forum discussions revolve mainly about Politics, Religion, and Wars, none of which appeal to me..

On reading this thread it seems that the old posters were well liked and extremely popular.

So lets bring back the humour, and dare I say it "The trolls"

I agree with your post Padders, however some of the trolls went a bit to far.  I remember one who wished old folk dead because of how they voted for Brexit. He eventually got a ban but not for that.  

• Like 1