How Many Passed The 11 Plus?

1 minute ago, Ridgewalk said:

Strange subject to bring up.

Why?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ridgewalk said:

Strange subject to bring up.

Bringing up history in a history and expats section. What’s strange about that?

• Like 3

Passed mine in 1966 from Bradway County Juniors (now Lowedges Juniors).

Went to Abbeydale Boys' Grammar. There was about 10 of us who went there mainly from class 4A (Mr Strange's class)

In 1969 with the introduction of the comprehensive system the school merged with Abbeydale Girls' Grammar and Grange Girls' Grammar. 

Our year never mixed with the girls until our 6th form in September 1971.

I cannot recall any girls in that 6th form who were from Lowedges Juniors and had passed their 11+ to Abbeydale or Grange Grammar schools. 

1 hour ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

Am retired now having never been out of work.

Never been out of work  WOW.

Fell unlucky a few times. Nothing much you can do when a firm goes into receivership (even when your the senior shop steward 🥴).

Didn't pass my 11+ ☹️ 

I've had to drive other peoples cars and lorries for a living :lol:

30 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Why?

He probably failed and his jealousy is raising its head again.

Edited by KP Nuts 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, abbeyedges said:

Passed mine in 1966 from Bradway County Juniors (now Lowedges Juniors).

Went to Abbeydale Boys' Grammar. There was about 10 of us who went there mainly from class 4A (Mr Strange's class)

In 1969 with the introduction of the comprehensive system the school merged with Abbeydale Girls' Grammar and Grange Girls' Grammar. 

Our year never mixed with the girls until our 6th form in September 1971.

I cannot recall any girls in that 6th form who were from Lowedges Juniors and had passed their 11+ to Abbeydale or Grange Grammar schools. 

Same here abbeyedges. Started at Rowlinson Technical, all boys. Then it became a mixed comprehensive school later. 

3 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Never been out of work  WOW.

Fell unlucky a few times. Nothing much you can do when a firm goes into receivership (even when your the senior shop steward 🥴).

Didn't pass my 11+ ☹️ 

I've had to drive other peoples cars and lorries for a living :lol:

Don’t know if you saw my reply to another post in another subject, but I too worked in the S&E dairy on Archer Road .1974, but not for long.

3 minutes ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

Same here abbeyedges. Started at Rowlinson Technical, all boys. Then it became a mixed comprehensive school later. 

Don’t know if you saw my reply to another post in another subject, but I too worked in the S&E dairy on Archer Road .1974, but not for long.

might have just missed you, probably  late 74 early 75 when I started, did 3 years in the bottling plant and 7 years on the rounds. 

Early starts and early finishes :thumbsup:

There sure were some characters worked there :lol:.

• Like 1

It is/was the number of places available in local Grammar School that governed whether somebody got a place.

New industrial areas had fewer grammar schools per head  with the exception of places with high Catholic(old or new) population like Liverpool..

Rural places, particularly historic wealthy counties like Lincolnshire and Yorkshire had many more places.

Sheffield was one of the most difficult places in the country to get a place in Grammar school and if similar exams were taken a pupil would need  a higher score here than than most places in England.

Even with a high score children would lose their places to those to those with parents serving abroad as civil servants, military and in religious orders. They would also lose their place to those getting a scholarships and recommendations which had nothing to do with ability. It was enough for the local Bishop/MP/Lord etc to say  that the father to be of good character. 

Very often grades and not marks were given, and no appeals allowed to hide the vagaries and inequalities in the system.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

It is/was the number of places available in local Grammar School that governed whether somebody got a place.

New industrial areas had fewer grammar schools per head  with the exception of places with high Catholic(old or new) population like Liverpool..

Rural places, particularly historic wealthy counties like Lincolnshire and Yorkshire had many more places.

Sheffield was one of the most difficult places in the country to get a place in Grammar school and if similar exams were taken a pupil would need  a higher score here than than most places in England.

Even with a high score children would lose their places to those to those with parents serving abroad as civil servants, military and in religious orders. They would also lose their place to those getting a scholarships and recommendations which had nothing to do with ability. It was enough for the local Bishop/MP/Lord etc to say  that the father to be of good character. 

Very often grades and not marks were given, and no appeals allowed to hide the vagaries and inequalities in the system.

Thank you for that explanation, I wonder how many parents knew that at the time?

I passed mine in 1970. We were living near Middlesbrough at the time and I went to Eston grammar school. There were a few of us from the same class in the juniors who passed the exam.

I spent a year there before moving to Sheffield through my dad's job.

2 hours ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

Yep. Greenhill Junior school. As far as I can recall it was in the last year of said exam, 1968. Only qualification I’ve ever earned. Did me no good in the long term. Went to Rowlinson which has to rate as the biggest mistake I’ve ever made. Left there in 1973 with nowt to show for it. 
Am retired now having never been out of work.

I was in the year below you but we couldn't leave until 1975.

I remember your last day and Wombat laughing his head off.

Edited by Alextopman
  • Like 1

How many people have I met who failed it but went on to be a big fish in the small pond they stayed in, setting them up for success. Meanwhile those who passed ended up being small fish in the big pond they graduated into, setting themselves up for failure.

Unintentional consequences, glad it all got scrapped.

• Thanks 1