Christmas Cards…. They're Dead!

We moved into our current house nine years ago and each year we receive a Christmas Card addressed to the previous owner.

We bought the house as a probate sale and so we know the previous owners are deceased.  We’ve no family contact details to forward the card.

This, quite honestly, sums up the pathetic ritual of sending Christmas cards each year from the long list of old friends, ex neighbours, old work colleagues who we have not seen, or heard of, for many a year. It would be nice to maintain contact regularly rather than just a one way message at this time of year.

Agree?
Nick….two left feet, can’t stand Strictly

• Like 3

Havent sent a card in years. 

TBH I think the greeting card industry is all but finished with. 

Has this forum turned into the Dull Men's Club, given the way the OP signed off his post? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Couldn’t resist it. Well spotted 

I love receiving Christmas cards at Christmas especially from people I don't see often. It's all part of Christmas for me, each one a little bit of good cheer. Love the pictures on the front and putting them on display as part of the decorations.

However I must admit I rather hate having to write them. I always seem to have to do them in a rush at the last minute which is not the best way to write them, (which is nice and relaxed by the fire with a Christmas drink to hand.)

I fear the cost of postage is going to put a lot of people off sending them this year and from now on,

but an email or e-card just isn't the same.

I know... I'm just old fashioned...

Edited by Anna B
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I love receiving Christmas cards at Christmas especially from people I don't see often. It's all part of Christmas for me, each one a little bit of good cheer. Love the pictures on the front and putting them on display as part of the decorations.

However I must admit I rather hate having to write them. I always seem to have to do them in a rush at the last minute which is not the best way to write them, (which is nice and relaxed by the fire with a Christmas drink to hand.)

I fear the cost of postage is going to put a lot of people off sending them this year and from now on,

My sentiments exactly Anna.

When you look at the crowds in the card shops this time of year there’s no indication that the trade is dead or indeed moribund.

I think Royal Mail should reduce the price of Christmas stamps as a sign of goodwill!😀

echo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Morts said:

We moved into our current house nine years ago and each year we receive a Christmas Card addressed to the previous owner.

We bought the house as a probate sale and so we know the previous owners are deceased.  We’ve no family contact details to forward the card.

This, quite honestly, sums up the pathetic ritual of sending Christmas cards each year from the long list of old friends, ex neighbours, old work colleagues who we have not seen, or heard of, for many a year. It would be nice to maintain contact regularly rather than just a one way message at this time of year.

Agree?
Nick….two left feet, can’t stand Strictly

Tell you what.  It's paper you're dealing with.  Throw it in the Blue Bin.  At some point either the sender or yourself will shrug off the mortal coil & it won't be an issue. 

To sum up, it's an envelope that arrives every 12 months.   Other than that, I doubt I or anyone else on SF can help you.  Otherwise, go see your doctor for PTED (post traumatic envelope delivery). 

Otherwise, send or don't send cards. It's up to you.  You do or don't need the likes of me to agree or disagree.  What would you have done before the likes of social media.  Thought for yourself!

You are an ADULT. 

Edited by Baron99

2 hours ago, echo beach said:

My sentiments exactly Anna.

When you look at the crowds in the card shops this time of year there’s no indication that the trade is dead or indeed moribund.

I think Royal Mail should reduce the price of Christmas stamps as a sign of goodwill!😀

echo.

Or maybe they could get the scouts post back like they used to do for local post.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anna B said:

Worse than that Anna, was sending out postcards when on holiday, Workmates, friends, relations...

And you had to write a little story on the back.

"Wish you were here Anna, digs ok, food not bad, weather fine and sunny, beer excellent but a bit dear at 1/6d a pint.

Just of to the beach for a paddle"

All morning buying them, then all afternoon writing them, what a waste of a day that was.

Mind you, I did enjoy reading the smutty ones.......

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Padders said:

Worse than that Anna, was sending out postcards when on holiday, Workmates, friends, relations...

[...]

All morning buying them, then all afternoon writing them, what a waste of a day that was.

You've not mentioned the practice of selecting different views of the place so that there were no duplications  - not that the recipients would ever see anyone else's card.

Can't write more - I'm doing my Christmas cards...

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Padders said:

And you had to write a little story on the back.

"Wish you were here Anna, digs ok, food not bad, weather fine and sunny, beer excellent but a bit dear at 1/6d a pint.

Just of to the beach for a paddle"

Mind you, I did enjoy reading the smutty ones.......

Dear Padders.

Christmas again.

Weather here.

Wish you were fine.

Off home again to Esbjerg on Tuesday, so won't be seeing you until sometime in 2024.

Might send you a card. Then again....

Crappy Histmas to you...

• Haha 2

I don't send Christmas cards really. But, I do send greetings cards for birthdays etc. It's a sign of respect and appreciation to take the time to sit down and write out a card. A post on Facebook doesn't compare.