scruffy reeboks 

vegan brownies

Real ales

Ethiopian coffee

old walking gear

beard oil 

Visit today.

Edited by Mkapaka

Don't know about Walkley, but facilities in Crookes has improved enormously over time due to the geography and proximity of the big employers. With students moving out, by choice,  into the city centre there is a tremendous opportunity for younger families to move into the terraces they occupied.

The established population have long supported a range of local businesses, the incomers will help support these and provide an increasing number, range and choice of retail, and fuel local employment.

Compare other 'burbs for the availability of Beanie hats, religious places, pubs, fake specs, chip shops, second hand clothes. cafes, scruffy reeboks, restaurants, vegan brownies, vets, schools, real ales, supermarkets, takeaways etc., etc., oh! and Ethiopian coffee

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mkapaka said:

roll up roll up;

Beanie hats

fake specs

second hand clothes

scruffy reeboks 

vegan brownies

Real ales

Ethiopian coffee

old walking gear

beard oil 

Visit today.

Beard oil!? Stop the world I want to get off.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Don't know about Walkley, but facilities in Crookes has improved enormously over time due to the geography and proximity of the big employers. With students moving out, by choice,  into the city centre there is a tremendous opportunity for younger families to move into the terraces they occupied.

The established population have long supported a range of local businesses, the incomers will help support these and provide an increasing number, range and choice of retail, and fuel local employment.

Compare other 'burbs for the availability of Beanie hats, religious places, pubs, fake specs, chip shops, second hand clothes. cafes, scruffy reeboks, restaurants, vegan brownies, vets, schools, real ales, supermarkets, takeaways etc., etc., oh! and Ethiopian coffee

My bold. 

I noticed yesterday when leaving SUFC there must be a few dozen properties, (2-3 bed (at a guess?)) terraced houses on Shoreham St all up for let & designated as student accommodation, which obviously haven't been taken up. 

If I were a student, I'd rather move into one of the more modern, purpose built facilities. 

It seems strange for a letting agency to have so many empty properties on their hands because they're targeting the student market.  I'm guessing they don't want people who could be long term lets who would probably end up with tenancy rights? 

Edited by Baron99
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

I noticed yesterday when leaving SUFC there must be a few dozen properties, (2-3 bed (at a guess?)) terraced houses on Shoreham St all up for let & designated as student accommodation, which obviously haven't been taken up. 

If I were a student, I'd rather move into one of the more modern, purpose built facilities. 

It seems strange for a letting agency to have so many empty properties on their hands because they're targeting the student market.  I'm guessing they don't want people who could be long term lets who would probably end up with tenancy rights? 

That row of terraced houses on Shoreham Street seems to have had the 'To Let' signs up permanently for the last few years, even when some appear to be occupied.

Many letting agencies leave semi permanent 'To Let' signs up as some students will already be looking at 24/25 rentals. 

In Crookes smart prospective buyers with payment plans in place will be on Agents lists who in many cases no longer put up 'For Sale' signs on some properties. Location³.

When my father left lower Walkley in 1971 (2 up-2 down) due to demolition, the rent was I think 8s/6d per week (42.5p).

3 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Was there anything wrong with Crookes in the first place?

32 minutes ago, St Petre said:

Was there anything wrong with Crookes in the first place?

Nothing, I like fields- and people have come and gone along with their ways.

Like the rest of Sheffield, in the 70's it took a massive economic followed and an unrelated ageing of the population. The worst of the citywide decline was offset by in areas like Crookes by the increase in service, university and hospital jobs and the five fold increase in the student population and jobs they create. This younger more economically active population has led to a better balanced population which can maintain good level of services and and attractive to many.

• Like 2

Crookes did I suppose have a trendy element to it back in the 1990s, as many students were housed there. The past 10 years have seen most of the students move out in to "luxury" city centre apartments and the area is now reverting back to its working class routes and the Heavygate/Moorsyde estate is adorned with chav families, similarly, the Stannington View Road area has rough sorts aplenty. Walkley has always been quite rough (there was an infamous close range shooting there in 2002) and 3 years ago, a disabled boy was found starved and neglected by his family in one of the terraced houses. Walkley is getting a bit better actually, with some nice shops/cafes opening up but the Bell Hagg estate is still quite dodgy. 

PS, beanie hats and beards/handlebar moustaches are very 2013/14. It's all about the mullets, puffer jackets, wedge heels, 90s retro bobs and "ugly" trainers now. And generation Z are certainly much more touchy and terminally offended than the hipsters. The age of the hipsters is gone, resigned to continue only in select places like Aberdeen Court off Division Street.

Edited by Irene Swaine