Stagecoach 10 Minute Frequency

BigAl1

8 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

It can affect punctuality. It retards acceleration and increases braking time. I've worked many a train with wheel slip, you can feel the train trying to accelerate but there just isn't the friction. This can also cause something called wheel flats, which requires the vehicle to be taken out of service, which can also disrupt frequency. I hope this helps. (1)

The signs are GPS tracked on the electronic boards but you raise a good idea, the printed timetables could take in to account leaf fall season. As you say, 2 minutes isn't much of a wait. I do find the tram far more reliable than buses still though. (2)

(1) That is irrelevant to the OP -  see HeHasRisen's  comment, quoted below.

(2) The electronic displays for tram tracking have never worked correctly since their installation. Why  should timetables be 'amended' for a situation which could  happen, for a short period, on some sections - not all - of some routes?

8 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

At no point did the OP say the tram was late. And nor has it changed from 10 to 12 min frequency because of an issue that happens a few months of the year. So this is a moot discussion. 

13 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

I very rarely used this term, as it gets banded about incorrectly far too often. But you are a 100% troll who obviously has no knowledge of the rail industry. Off you pop back under your bridge. Far too fishy for my liking.

It can affect punctuality. It retards acceleration and increases braking time. I've worked many a train with wheel slip, you can feel the train trying to accelerate but there just isn't the friction. This can also cause something called wheel flats, which requires the vehicle to be taken out of service, which can also disrupt frequency. I hope this helps.

The signs are GPS tracked on the electronic boards but you raise a good idea, the printed timetables could take in to account leaf fall season. As you say, 2 minutes isn't much of a wait. I do find the tram far more reliable than buses still though.

My goodness me what a load of…

1. punctuality is irrelevant if Supertram were to be honest and say there were a tram every 12 minutes then that would be fine as it is the schedule (on weekdays and Saturdays although they should  explain with the * not Sundays and evenings) . My objection is that they are advertising a 10 minute frequency which is simply not something they offer. I have reported it to the ASA

2. as for the dot matrix surely after all this time you realise they are a complete joke and no one can rely on the information displayed as being correct 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, BigAl1 said:

My goodness me what a load of…

1. punctuality is irrelevant if Supertram were to be honest and say there were a tram every 12 minutes then that would be fine as it is the schedule (on weekdays and Saturdays although they should  explain with the * not Sundays and evenings) . My objection is that they are advertising a 10 minute frequency which is simply not something they offer. I have reported it to the ASA

2. as for the dot matrix surely after all this time you realise they are a complete joke and no one can rely on the information displayed as being correct 

I assume you are talking about the directional signage on the railway station rather than the information provided by Supertram at the tram stop... those vinyls on the railway station date back to when the station was run by East Midlands Trains, part of Stagecoach, when the trams were still every 10 minutes Blue/Purple combined. The station is now run by EMR, part of what was Abellio UK, who haven't changed/removed them since they took over the rail franchise and station.

18 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Forget anything Stagecoach say about the tram . The timetables in the stops round here are dated Sept 2022 . 

which tram stops still have timetables from September 2022? All the ones I've seen have been updated in the last month with the 29 October timetable change and 1 November fares change.

Edited by Andy C

39 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

They've always worked fine for me. 

You must be the only one then because they are not fit for purpose and never have been right from the start. The problem is that when you are waiting you have no idea if the information is accurate or not . If the next tram shows a clock time it means they don’t know where it is and that is the timetable and oddly enough when they show minutes due it is often just fiction ( and I don’t mean because it is stuck in traffic) there has been plenty on this subject in the past.

have you ever looked at the displays when the service is not running and seen them showing the trams and nowadays a rolling message saying they are suspend because of an incident ( before I rattled the PTEs cage they did not even bother putting the message along the bottom that the service was suspended and the times fiction 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BigAl1 said:

have you ever looked at the displays when the service is not running and seen them showing the trams and nowadays a rolling message saying they are suspend because of an incident ( before I rattled the PTEs cage they did not even bother putting the message along the bottom that the service was suspended and the times fiction 

No, I haven't. When the planned departure time is displayed instead of the estimated arrival time in minutes, it's because a GPS locator hasn't been able to track the team's proximity. 

My main bugbear is that the installation of the screens is incomplete, for example, Meadowhall/Halfway bound platform on West Street has no screens but the Middlewood/Malin Bridge bound platform does. 

39 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

No, I haven't. When the planned departure time is displayed instead of the estimated arrival time in minutes, it's because a GPS locator hasn't been able to track the team's proximity. 

My main bugbear is that the installation of the screens is incomplete, for example, Meadowhall/Halfway bound platform on West Street has no screens but the Middlewood/Malin Bridge bound platform does. 

Yes as I said if it shows the clock time it means they don’t know where it is. However most customers do not know this and assume the info is correct 

even when it is showing minutes it is often wildly inaccurate