COVID THREAD

Guest makapaka
18 minutes ago, melthebell said:

It's already been years, 2 years, and they're still spouting the same ****

You are as well tho. Give it up man.

8 hours ago, top4718 said:

If you remember the days prior to March 2020 we have something called instinct, common sense, initiative, it got us by for generations it seems now some need to told how to eat, sleep and think, I stuck to former methods and have got through unscathed so far thank you.

We still "...have something called instinct, common sense, initiative..." and over the generations we have added more knowledge, understanding, reasoning, education, medicine, care, mathematics, scientific method, technology, production methods etc, which have immeasurably improved our defences against disease. 

You have benefited from all of these and derived protection from disease through those people and organizations who have and still are protecting you from hundreds of deadly and lifechanging diseases. 

The realities of the pandemic March 2020  are no different to those of the thousands of previous pandemics but our reaction has been enhanced by better knowledge, better understanding, reasoning, of medicine,  improve care and using mathematics, statistics, scientific method, technology, production methods etc.

All of which will be looked into and learnt from and will contribute to reducing  the impact of the next wave of 'pestilence'.

12 hours ago, melthebell said:

what makes you not wrong, and none fallible unlike the whole of science and medicine? none of what you said was really an answer to my question by the way.

id rather trust a surgeon to do brain or heart surgery on me than a no mark off the internet whos read a dubious article

same with a plumber, you get somebody to do your plumbing whos trained in it for years and knowledgeable and experienced, not somebody off the internet who just says he can do it

NASA spent $billions on space exploration and couldn't get a rocket to the International Space Station.

They had to cadge a ride from Putin to get their astronauts there, and bring them back. (while he was invading Crimea)

Enter a "no mark" internet guy, who not only built a rocket to take them there, and bring them back safely, and between him and the other guy Bezos, took civilians, on joy rides into space, with recyclable rockets!

Lol

A view from Canada.

Is this the last word?

LAU: Politicians made horrific error closing schools during COVID

"Another school year has come to an end. Eventually, there must be a full accounting of the extraordinary restrictions on economic and civil liberties that governments imposed in the past two-plus years to mitigate the pandemic.

"The evidence — what was justifiable, what was not — is not all in but is everywhere piling up, and one fact is becoming increasingly clear: the politicians who ordered the closing of schools, and the activists who cheered them on, made a horrific error.

"The most culpable politicians in Canada are in the Ontario government, which closed schools for a cumulative 29 weeks during various stages of the pandemic — longer, as the Ontario Science Advisory Table noted, than all other provinces and most European countries.

This is despite the fact it was widely known since the beginning that children have a high level of immunity to the coronavirus. And according to widely available data, including in the relatively early stages of the pandemic, schools are not the “super-spreaders” of disease some fearmongers claimed.

"In fact, a new study published in Health Affairs concludes that closing Ontario’s schools in December 2020, with some regions not reopening until February 2021, reduced the number of estimated coronavirus cases in the province by only 0.08%, a minimal result that lacks statistical significance.

"This is not an isolated finding. UNICEF reported in November 2020 that “data from 191 countries collected from February to September 2020 show no consistent association between school reopening status and COVID-19 infection rates” while noting that the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control concluded that “child-to-child transmission in schools was uncommon and not the primary cause of COVID-19 in children who were infected during the time they attended school.”

"In the United States, Brown University economist Emily Oster and other researchers collected data on coronavirus cases in classrooms. By September 2020 their data covered 100,000 students learning in-person; by February 2021 it covered about 12 million students, about half learning in-person. As Oster wrote a year into the pandemic, “in the early rounds of data collection, it became clear schools were not super-spreaders. This has been reinforced again and again in our data, in other data, in the lived experience of the last year.”

"Similarly, authors of a working paper circulated by the National Bureau for Economic Research in February 2021 examined data from Michigan and Washington and concluded, after controlling for relevant factors, the relationship between in-person learning and increased coronavirus cases was “close to zero on average.” And a Germany study from October 2020 found schools reopening after summer break did not increase coronavirus cases.

"What was the cost of school closures, which achieved essentially zero public health benefits? A massive hit to the social and educational development of children, widespread distress for parents, significant economic disruption and more.

"A U.S. study found steep test score declines due to school closures, disproportionately affecting the most disadvantaged children. A survey of Ontario parents found about three-quarters believed their child fell behind in school during the pandemic. The school closures were temporary, but many of the effects—including reduced educational development—will be long-lasting.

"As time passes, the evidence on the costs and benefits of coronavirus restrictions will continue to accumulate. But it’s already clear that the politicians responsible for school closures made a horrific error and they should be held to account.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/lau-politicians-made-horrific-error-closing-schools-during-covid

Hats of to Checkov!

He wasn't alone!

Nothing new there as far as the obvious effects on schoolchildren.

No mention of the reluctance of teachers to enter crowded poorly ventilated classrooms to protect their own health.

In the event of future pandemics of an air borne virus what actions may be taken by the politicians?

Things are never as black and white as some would assume.

40 minutes ago, trastrick said:

NASA spent $billions on space exploration and couldn't get a rocket to the International Space Station.

They had to cadge a ride from Putin to get their astronauts there, and bring them back. (while he was invading Crimea)

Enter a "no mark" internet guy, who not only built a rocket to take them there, and bring them back safely, and between him and the other guy Bezos, took civilians, on joy rides into space, with recyclable rockets!

Lol

That's not quite true though is it, NASA has been there done it. What you mentioned is cos of the scaling back of funding

As for your internet point, who do these billionaires employ for research, planning, building of space rockets? Experts?

Edited by melthebell

Just now, melthebell said:

That's not quite true though is it, NASA has been there done it. What you mentioned is cos of the scaling back of funding

No, NASA lost its way when they decided that Climate Change and making muslims feel good was a higher priority for its resources,  than actual space exploration. - Politics

“When I became the NASA administrator — or before I became the NASA administrator — (Obama) charged me with three things. One was he wanted me to help re-inspire children to want to get into science and math, he wanted me to expand our international relationships, and third, and perhaps foremost, he wanted me to find a way to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with dominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science … and math and engineering.”

- Charles F. Bolden, Jr.  Obama's NASA Administrator

This, while War Criminal and Totalitarian Tyrant Putiin was developing his SOYUZ rockets, that took Obama's astronauts to the International Space Station, and back.  (and also invading Ukraine, the first time) :)

Edited by trastrick

Just now, sibon said:

Anyway. Here’s an interesting bit of research from Imperial College. Feel free to ignore it in favour of common sense and instinct.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/237591/vaccinations-have-prevented-almost-20-million/

I wouldn't question such a study.

It's above my payscale.

I'll leave it to more peer review analysis of their "excess death" modeling techniques, if there ever is any.

The bit about how many deaths were "prevented" is scientifically unprovable using anything but "models".

But if nobody can come up with a challenge, it stands as the latest word on the issue, as far as I am concerned.

Guest sibon
6 minutes ago, trastrick said:

I wouldn't question such a study.

It's above my payscale.

I'll leave it to more peer review analysis of their "excess death" modeling techniques, if there ever is any.

The bit about how many deaths were "prevented" is scientifically unprovable using anything but "models".

But if nobody can come up with a challenge, it stands as the latest word on the issue, as far as I am concerned.

I just thought it was interesting. It must be difficult to quantify the number of lives saved. I guess that you compare similar gazes and unvaxxed populations. Even then, the margin of error must be wide.

The discrepancy  between rich and poorer countries is depressing, if not unexpected.

Edited by sibon

On 28/06/2022 at 22:07, hackey lad said:

Why do you think they shut down the country? What did they gain by it ? 

The government got to control the population in a way they probably only dreamed of. They saw how far they could push them. They saw how compliant they were if you pressed thr right buttons.

They got to introduce all sorts of new control laws, which are still on the statute book, and can be wheeled out any time it suits them irrespective of context.

They were able to suppress information on both MS media and the internet and get away with it.

They made a big leap towards a cashless society, and a cashless society is also easier to control, (computer says no...)

They got to give lots of lucrative contracts worth millions to their mates, and granted favours that will have to be returned. 'You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.'

They were able to invest unrestricted amounts of money of money into biolabs like Porton Down, which also just happen to make biological weapons. Hey Ho.

They were able to fastrack the move onto mobile phone aps (which a lot of people don't like) and they have no intention of reversing, (eg doctors, minister of health at the time Matt Hancock's family just happens to control the company that produces the ap)

They were able to use the pandemic to hide all sorts of shortcomings in the NHS and other industries. They are still doing it.

They made a lot of very rich people considerably richer during the pandemic. Amazon boss Jeff Bezos did very nicely thankyou, and so did a lot of the other big investors.

They got us familiar with shortages, inconveniences, and a new way of life which hasn't gone away - but then they always said it wouldn't - 'the world will be very different.'

They made us believe we were all in the same boat.

- But they were cruising ahead in superyachts, and the rest of us were up the creek in a canoe without a paddle.  

Edited by Anna B
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Anna B said:

The government got to control the population in a way they probably only dreamed of. They saw how far they could push them. They saw how compliant they were if you pressed thr right buttons.

T

hey got to introduce all sorts of new control laws, which are still on the statute book, and can be wheeled out any time it suits them irrespective of context.

They were able to suppress information on both MS media and the internet and get away with it.

They made a big leap towards a cashless society, and a cashless society is also easier to control, (computer says no...)

They got to give lots of lucrative contracts worth millions to their mates, and granted favours that will have to be returned. 'You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.'

They were able to invest unrestricted amounts of money of money into biolabs like Porton Down, which also just happen to make biological weapons.

They were able to fastrack the move onto mobile phone aps (which a lot of people don't like) and they have no intention of reversing, (eg doctors, minister of health at the time Matt Hancock's family just happens to control the company that produces the ap)

They were able to use the pandemic to hide all sorts of shortcomings in the NHS and other industries. They are still doing it.

They made a lot of very rich people considerably richer during the pandemic. Amazon boss Jeff Bezos did very nicely thankyou, and so did the big investors.

They made us believe we were all in the same boat.

- But they were cruising ahead in superyachts, and the rest of us were up the creek in a canoe without a paddle.  

My lord , you are getting into tinfoil hat territory