West Bar Redevelopment

4 hours ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

What's really interesting is...

... how someone with no connection to SCC has managed to post an UNLISTED YouTube video from a channel with NO public videos! :hihi:

Ayup, stalker.

You still getting weirdly overexcited about trying to identify people who you think work for SCC?

Sad.

Anyhow, sorry to pi$$ on your chips, here's where I got the link for the video from.

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/west-bar-square-proposed-phases.528862/post-185568155

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Ayup, stalker.

You still getting weirdly overexcited about trying to identify people who you think work for SCC?

Sad.

Anyhow, sorry to pi$$ on your chips, here's where I got the link for the video from.

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/west-bar-square-proposed-phases.528862/post-185568155

He'll try to tell you he likes pish on his chips but he only really likes it if it's his mum's.

• Haha 1

I had a trip past this development on a visit to the walk in centre. What a mess! Hope this is going to be completed quickly but can't see it as no one was working on the whole road as I slowly went up in the busy traffic

I am ambivalent about this. How will they fill over 300 apartments with so many apartments already nearby in Khelam Island? I an not sure what they mean by a 'Gateway' the leisure and retail elements of this aren't specified but if it is significant, it will be good. Interesting that the project is being undertaken by the BNP. 😉

I wanna know what happened to the water features that were supposed to be outside the court, but instead is just a load of plants!!

21 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

I am ambivalent about this. How will they fill over 300 apartments with so many apartments already nearby in Khelam Island? I an not sure what they mean by a 'Gateway' the leisure and retail elements of this aren't specified but if it is significant, it will be good. Interesting that the project is being undertaken by the BNP. 😉

If they've done their research (which they will have done) and know that there are at least 300 people who want to live in or near Kelham Island (and why wouldn't they? It's been a very good bit of urban regeneration) then they will fill the flats without much problem.

Inner-city living in Sheffield has grown very healthily over the last 20 years but there's still plenty more growth to come is my understanding.

You spoke on another thread about people wanting suburban houses with gardens, well not every one does actually. Many people are just as happy in apartments. The sticking point here is that many of the suburban houses with gardens are filled with people who would be just as happy in city centre flats, but can't live in them because not enough of them exist to go round. So bear in mind that every block of flats in the city centre that sees people moving in is usually clearing our x-number of suburban dwellings for those who would like them.

Years ago before many of the existing city centre student projects were built there were just vast swathes of inner-city terraces that were filled with students (and many still are of course) but now a lot of students stay in city centre residences and this has started to help change the demographic of home owners in many terraced areas.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ghozer said:

I wanna know what happened to the water features that were supposed to be outside the court, but instead is just a load of plants!!

I don’t believe there were ever going to be water features. The planting areas are sustainable urban drainage ( SUD’s), are you confusing that with a water feature?

• Like 1

It's  ridiculous how long this is taking. It's hardly the engineering project of the century. They must be getting paid by the hour. 🙄

49 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

I don’t believe there were ever going to be water features. The planting areas are sustainable urban drainage ( SUD’s), are you confusing that with a water feature?

I live nearby, and when they started the area around the courts with the 'grow wild' area, (love square) the leaflets they distributed showed it as a water feature, the area on the corner (police station side) also showed a couple of kiosks and such, but they also never appeared!

Edited by Ghozer

6 hours ago, AndrewC said:

If they've done their research (which they will have done) and know that there are at least 300 people who want to live in or near Kelham Island (and why wouldn't they? It's been a very good bit of urban regeneration) then they will fill the flats without much problem.

Inner-city living in Sheffield has grown very healthily over the last 20 years but there's still plenty more growth to come is my understanding.

You spoke on another thread about people wanting suburban houses with gardens, well not every one does actually. Many people are just as happy in apartments. The sticking point here is that many of the suburban houses with gardens are filled with people who would be just as happy in city centre flats, but can't live in them because not enough of them exist to go round. So bear in mind that every block of flats in the city centre that sees people moving in is usually clearing our x-number of suburban dwellings for those who would like them.

Years ago before many of the existing city centre student projects were built there were just vast swathes of inner-city terraces that were filled with students (and many still are of course) but now a lot of students stay in city centre residences and this has started to help change the demographic of home owners in many terraced areas.

Not quite in the city centre, but close, there used to be a huge block of flats on Park Grange (Arbourthorne). Seems a shame they got knocked down if you are correct and there are so many people desperate to live in a flat. Me, I would hate to live in a flat. I'd feel so claustrophobic and hate not having a garden. As a side note, I don't think the new flats on Netherthorpe (where the Tesco is) have done much for the area. 

On 12/10/2023 at 16:44, Irene Swaine said:

This always makes me laugh. 

like the developer spendings £10s of millions of pounds has never given any thought to whether they could sell them or not.

Irene - perhaps you could open one of your cash only bacon and egg kiosks down there? You could make a fortune from all those office workers. Sell small bottles of beer at £5 a pop and you can call it a cafe bar or artisan food 'kitchen'.

• Haha 2