Fargate Redevelopment

1 minute ago, hackey lad said:

Fair enough but I can’t see this working well . Expecting residents to carry their bags of rubbish down flights of stairs and depositing them in an adapted street bin . 

People who live in apartments across the world do that all the time.  Not every block has massive space for dedicated bin stores or chutes from direct the outside someone's front door

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 1

Just now, hackey lad said:

Fair enough but I can’t see this working well . Expecting residents to carry their bags of rubbish down flights of stairs and depositing them in an adapted street bin . 

IF you live in a flat - what do you do now ? - exactly that, unless there is a chute down to a street-level container - as in some maisonette developments. Seen it on Lowedges.

2 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

People who live in apartments across the world do that all the time.  Not every block has massive space for dedicated bin stores or chutes from direct the outside someone's front door

Ok , fair enough.

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

IF you live in a flat - what do you do now ? - exactly that, unless there is a chute down to a street-level container - as in some maisonette developments. Seen it on Lowedges.

:thumbsup:

13 minutes ago, ads36 said:

i'm a total geek about these things.

when we were in Spain last year, i watched with amazement as one of these bins got lifted out, and then auto-steam-cleaned!

(honestly, i could watch that kind of thing all day)

Like watching stuff like that myself. Owt to do with engineering.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndrewC said:

There are some quite large sections of completed paving up by the Town Hall end of Fargate that give more than a good enough indication of how the paving is likely to come out.

You can paint 1sq ft of your living room wall in a new colour and decide it looks nice - you don't necessarily need to wait until it's all finished.

It's been explained by others on here that these works are much, much more than some new paving - even if that's ultimately all we'll ever really see of it. Huge changes to underground utilities (to facilitate more residential premises on upper floors than there are currently), underground bin stores, planters & flower beds that will probably have the same SuDS technology as other grey-to-green schemes have had (like on Bridge Street, West Bar etc)., new bollards. And all whilst having to manage the site so Fargate can stay open to minimise disruption.

It's odd, most naysayers on this forum will tell you town is dead and no one uses Fargate any more, and yet many of the same people will try and tell you all these works are causing disruption?

Fargate certainly hasn't seen much love & investment since I first came to Sheffield, around 2003. I appreciate what you say about the cobbles put down in the 1990s, but - as above - there's more to it than just new paving.

Well it’s all a nice idea and I hope  it works well as I said before but there is a reason people are cynical.  And that is before council have wasted money and blown it on vanity projects in town time and again.  The containers on Fargate are a recent example.  
The underground bin stores sound good but I seriously hope they are vermin proof!!  The flower beds are a lovely idea but I hope they are not all pulled up and filled with litter.

Edited by pfifes

1 minute ago, pfifes said:

The underground bin stores sound good but I seriously hope they are vermin proof!!  The flower beds are a lovely idea but I hope they are not all pulled up and filled with litter.

One assumes the containers are made of reasonably strong material and the vermin don't have cutting equipment.

As to the flower containers - the 'filling with litter' is done by Joe/Josephine Public.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, pfifes said:

The flower beds are a lovely idea but I hope they are not all pulled up and filled with litter.

I was rather sceptical about the initial grey to green scheme on West Bar, but they are well looked after and any litter is regularly removed.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

One assumes the containers are made of reasonably strong material and the vermin don't have cutting equipment.

As to the flower containers - the 'filling with litter' is done by Joe/Josephine Public.

Oh dear! :(

Please don't get started on containers again, Mr Rolling... :hihi:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Planner1 said:

I was rather sceptical about the initial grey to green scheme on West Bar, but they are well looked after and any litter is regularly removed.

Let me whisper this , I agree with you  😃

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Rats can get through tiny spaces and Rat teeth are harder than copper and iron. The jaw muscles of a rat can exert up to 12 tons (or 24,000 pounds) per square inch. By comparison, a great white shark bites with a force of 1.8 to 2 tons per square inch.

A rat can chew through anything that’s not harder than their teeth.  I’m not not saying the underground bin stores are necessarily bad though, I just hope that this will be properly rat proof.  

As for litter, of course I know that’s done by the general public!!  That’s the whole point!!  Anyone half a brain knows there are a lot of slobby scrubbers that throw their rubbish everywhere and destroy anything nice like flower beds.  My point is that if they are not properly maintained and protected they will quickly look a mess.  I would love nice flower beds in town but would find messed up litter strewn flower containers depressing and would actually prefer bare concrete to that.  

• Thanks 1

Been to town today , had a walk down Fargate . Made a point of looking at the shiny new paving at the top . Couldn't see it , its all fenced off and men are working on it again . Other than that doesn't seem to be much happening .  By the way called into Brendas Chippy just off the Moor , best fishcake butty I've had in a long time .:thumbsup: