Sheffield Becoming A 15 Minute City

29 minutes ago, Ghozer said:

All due to conspiracy theories, and people who don't actually understand the plans properly...  and I refuse to entertain anyone who believes such...

That's very blinkered of you.

Your choice though.

The Government are only putting a 4th lane onto the motorways to make room for their 4 lane wide MegaDeathTank (due in the year 2035) that will travel up and down the land destroying anyone who has the nerve to stray from their street.

Wake up sheeple.

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

That's very blinkered of you.

Your choice though.

not really, i'm just tired of arguing the case, people whining and bitching about it without actually stepping back, stopping for a moment, taking a look at the wider picture, and thinking.  Most (sure, not all) but most people I have talked to about it just have the one blind line of sight, and wont listen to the arguments (either way) - those are the kind of people I don't have time for, and tbh they are very draining to deal with :)

Edited by Ghozer
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, top4718 said:

It's not though, it's window dressing, they haven't used the words 15 min cities due to the bad press that that phrase is garnering. 

They don’t use the words 15 min cities because the development plans they are talking about aren’t associated with that theory, they are just development plans for small areas around the city centre.

Development plans like that have been coming along for as long as I can remember. They reference the things that are important in adopted planning policy and hence are of interest to potential developers. That’s all they are.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ghozer said:

not really, i'm just tired of arguing the case, people whining and bitching about it without actually stepping back, stopping for a moment, taking a look at the wider picture, and thinking.  Most (sure, not all) but most people I have talked to about it just have the one blind line of sight, and wont listen to the arguments (either way) - those are the kind of people I don't have time for, and tbh they are very draining to deal with :)

In other words, it wears you out talking to people who don't share your opinions.

Best not to express an opinion then, because the other side might feel the same as you.

"I'll argue with anyone who's on my side"!   Well, it does make life easier. 

15 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

In other words, it wears you out talking to people who don't share your opinions.

Best not to express an opinion then, because the other side might feel the same as you.

"I'll argue with anyone who's on my side"!   Well, it does make life easier. 

not at all what I was saying.... :)

If you want to be able to live comfortably in the world over the next few decades, then net zero is the bare minimum that we need. Global heating has been disrupting weather patterns and oceanic currents for decades already. Farming basic foods depends on a steady ecosystem. Extreme weather events caused by global heating will increase in severity and frequency, and in turn they increase global heating. There will come a time when these feedback loops make life first very difficult, then practically impossible. If you're worried about immigration now, just wait until tropical areas become impossible to farm. Drought and famine  will drive vast numbers overseas.

In Sheffield, if you can enable people to use cleaner, cheaper and healthier methods of transport, everybody wins. Many people are forced to use cars because public transport has been systematically ruined since privatisation. If you knew you could get where you're going on cheap, clean and reliable public transport, the amount of emissions from private vehicles would fall greatly. Electric vehicles are better than petrol/diesel, but better still is not having so many private cars with just one person in them. Fifteen minute cities are a good idea, and nothing to do with the insane, paranoid delusions of the covid/Vaccine conspiracy fundamentalists. 

• Like 1

'Official' - state or council control of transport facilities is not a good idea. I', old enough to remember when ~75% of the original SYPTE bus fleet was taken off the roads because the vehicles were considered to be legally unroadworthy.

there's nothing wrong with publicly owned public services.  Certainly the profit motive of private monopolies haven't done any good.

4 minutes ago, birobasher said:

there's nothing wrong with publicly owned public services.  Certainly the profit motive of private monopolies haven't done any good.

So running unroadworthy - and possibly dangerous to their users -vehicles - is OK, so long as it is done by 'publicly-owned' concerns? Give me a break!,

Edited by RollingJ
  • Like 1

Where did I say that? Leave that straw man where it lies mate. The bus companies are using increasing numbers of electric or hybrid vehicles, although there should be many more and sooner. Private transport companies have caused the state of things we endure right now. Their profit motive simply doesn't fit with running a sufficient number of effective services. The rail franchises get nationalised periodically when they fail, only for the government to reimpose their privatisation dogma and give the franchise to another company for them to run into the ground. 

Edited by birobasher

1 minute ago, birobasher said:

Where did I say that? Leave that straw man where it lies mate. The bus companies are using increasing numbers of electric or hybrid vehicles, although there should be many more and sooner. Private transport companies have caused the state of things we endure right now. Their profit motive simply doesn't fit with running a sufficient number of effective services. The rail franchises get nationalised periodically when they fail, only for the government to reimpose their privatisation dogma and give the franchise to another company for them to run into the ground. 

Not a 'straw-man' at all - if the Traffic Commissioners deemed the vehicles in 'public ownership' a danger, you can bet your last penny they were.

The rest of your argument is a little convoluted though. The concerns investing in these electric/hybrid vehicles are private concerns, and building  a bus isn't done in a day, so it will take time to replace the current diesel vehicles, but it is happening. 

• Like 1