Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

3 minutes ago, carosio said:

Again I agree, I'm just pointing out the fact that their is a specific tax/charge/duty levied for using or keeping a motor vehicle on the public highway over and above general taxation as mentioned, whether it is reserved for roads or not.

Yes there is, and that money goes straight into the general taxation pot, as does tobacco tax, alcohol tax etc.

Whatever we do and whatever we buy, we are all paying for everything around us.

Mike 1961 seems to think that cyclists are the only ones who don't pay,  and comes across to me as just plain anti-cyclist.

13 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Yes there is, and that money goes straight into the general taxation pot, as does tobacco tax, alcohol tax etc.

Whatever we do and whatever we buy, we are all paying for everything around us.

Mike 1961 seems to think that cyclists are the only ones who don't pay,  and comes across to me as just plain anti-cyclist.

I am not anti cyclists at all ,I just think cyclists need some type of registration and specific taxation that's all.

1 hour ago, mike1961 said:

Why are you embarrassed for me , explain?

Well I didn't think there was anyone left still trotting out the "road tax" crap!

8 minutes ago, mike1961 said:

I am not anti cyclists at all ,I just think cyclists need some type of registration and specific taxation that's all.

Bringing in taxation and registration for a type of transportation that is entirely mechanically propelled by one's own physical bodily effort would be a genuine outrage. It would be akin to taxing you for walking.

Edited by HumbleNarrator

4 minutes ago, mike1961 said:

Registered for what and Taxed for what?

Would this apply to pedestrians too.

Despite your denials, you don't like cyclists.

You are not on your own so why deny it.

What difference does it, or did it,  make to you whether I was registered and whether I paid taxation When I used my bike.

I was still paying for the roads exactly the same as you.

3 minutes ago, HumbleNarrator said:

Well I didn't think there was anyone left still trotting out the "road tax" crap!

Yep I am ,I was always led to believe it was a road tax and it's always been referred to as a road tax by people I've socialized with, obviously I'm wrong ,but cyclists still need to pay something,it's only fair and reasonable at the end of the day.

Just now, Organgrinder said:

What difference does it, or did it,  make to you whether I was registered and whether I paid taxation When I used my bike.

That's your opinion that I don't like cyclists but I can assure you that you are wrong ,I just don't get that councils are bending over backwards to accommodate them and providing facilities for them that are in practice very rarely used.

3 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Yeah but you don't pay the same as me ,I pay for two vehicles on the road ,you pay for one vehicle and don't pay anything for your bike to be on the road 

2 hours ago, mike1961 said:

Yep I am ,I was always led to believe it was a road tax and it's always been referred to as a road tax by people I've socialized with, obviously I'm wrong ,but cyclists still need to pay something,it's only fair and reasonable at the end of the day.

That's your opinion that I don't like cyclists but I can assure you that you are wrong ,I just don't get that councils are bending over backwards to accommodate them and providing facilities for them that are in practice very rarely used.

Yeah but you don't pay the same as me ,I pay for two vehicles on the road ,you pay for one vehicle and don't pay anything for your bike to be on the road 

People have always called it Road Tax and you may have believed it was road tax but you were mistaken.  It used to be, but not anymore.

General taxation is paying for the roads so cyclists, along with everybody else, are paying for them already so they don't need taxing..

Councils and everybody else are trying to encourage cycling because it's much better for the planet. To do this, they need cycle lanes to add encouragement

How much they get used at this moment is not your concern. That is just being petty and that's why I think you are anti cycling..

Yes, I just pay for one car.  You can do the same if you get rid of one of yours.  I have had 2 in the past and paid for both of them without insisting cyclists should help me..

What you are really mad about is the government taxing you so take it out on the government and not on cyclists.

Edited by Organgrinder

Yep I am ,I was always led to believe it was a road tax and it's always been referred to as a road tax by people I've socialized with, obviously I'm wrong

no, it's road tax, everyone apart from a few oddballs call it that, you're just getting trolled

car drivers pay far more tax than cyclists

Edited by fools

Does any other country in the world do that?

34 minutes ago, fools said:

car drivers pay far more tax than cyclists

They reckon 85% of cyclists own a car, so that’s clearly not true.