Papa's Fish & Chip

iansheff

Went here for a family party last weekend. Cramped seats. Took ages to get our meals. Half the items on the menu they didn't have. Really slow service. Can't go to the bar to order and collect your own drink. They're happy to take your order for drinks and then make you wait 20 minutes for someone to bring it over. First and last time

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/02/2023 at 07:35, YorkieontheTyne said:

Have eaten at Papas in Cleethorpes, Blackpool and Scarborough hoping for that memorable meal. The best was Scarborough, but not by much, and even that wasn’t great.

If one can't get a good fish and chip meal in Cleethorpes (or Grimsby) then it's time to give it up. I read a couple of weeks ago, someone who resides in that area, that Cod sold on Humberside now comes from the Aberdeen area,

Just my experience of course, but I’ve had excellent meals in Steels and Ocean Fish Bar, both in Cleethorpes. Papas seems to be too big, like they’re going for quantity over quality. Turnover is fine, the business has to make a profit after all, but it doesn’t do anything for the standards of food and service offered.
I prefer Haddock, put your point about Cod is well made, although on the bright side at least it’s not been imported from further afield.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried Papa’s takeaway when it first opened and it wasn’t bad so went there again tonight. Haddock and chips cost me £9.45 (80p more than last time).

Never again, the fish was anything but white with soggy batter, and I didn’t ask for thrice cooked chips but some of them were.

15 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

I tried Papa’s takeaway when it first opened and it wasn’t bad so went there again tonight. Haddock and chips cost me £9.45 (80p more than last time).

Never again, the fish was anything but white with soggy batter, and I didn’t ask for thrice cooked chips but some of them were.

How can you tell how many times the chips have been cooked?.