Direct Train To Manchester Airport

I was looking at train tickets for Manchester Airport, and noticed that all train journeys now involve at least one change.

Are there no direct trains from Sheffield to Manchester Airport any more? There used to be direct trains a few years ago.

Also happy to get any advice on the best way to get to Manchester Airport if my day of travel happens to be on one of the days of the probable strikes.

I remember reading a while back they stopping the direct trains to the airport at some point. 
I would get a taxi if there’s a strike. Getting a coach might be another option if timings fit and not booked up.

• Like 1

No direct trains as we booked , then had to get a refund , they where on strike on our return , check strike days before booking as you may get stuck !

• Like 1

All direct trains have now stopped.

To make life easier, take the Liverpool train to Manchester Piccadilly which drops you off at platforms 13/14, and take an airport train from there, without the need for a lengthy walk.

As for coaches, dont think thats a viable option from Sheffield really. Timetables may have changed since ai last looked though.

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 1

I am sure I read that to get to Manchester airport by National Express you have to change at Leeds.

There is no prospect for a return to a regular serms.vice to the airport, apart from a very early train there and a very late train back.

The strikes, engineering works at Dore and Bamford and new winter timetable(starts tomorrow), incomplete driver training for the new Liverpool trains, more stone trains for Hope, other excuse means you should add another 90 minutes to your plans and check your travel insurance.

Consider catching the stopper to Piccadilly as it is less prone to delay and cancellation but is a long walk between platforms.

Add an extra 90 minutes on for a cross platform change at Piccadilly as I explained already?

Cobblers.

The bigger issue anyway is all the strikes.

Edited by HeHasRisen

It used to be the Manchester to Cleethorpes train, I remember catching it early one morning at Manchester airport. I seem to remember reading something a while ago about it having been cancelled.

Edited by iansheff

Just now, iansheff said:

It used to be the Manchester to Cleethorpes train, I remember catching it early one morning at Manchester airport. I seem to remember reading something a while ago about it having been cancelled.

No it just now runs to Piccadilly and terminates.

19 hours ago, iansheff said:

That service was never fit for purpose anyway. We have seen many an argument beetween guards and passengers about luggage left in the aisles. I mean, an airport train with no extra space for luggage, what's that all about?

We stopped using it years ago and just drive there now and use the long term carparks.

2 hours ago, spilldig said:

That service was never fit for purpose anyway. We have seen many an argument beetween guards and passengers about luggage left in the aisles. I mean, an airport train with no extra space for luggage, what's that all about?

We stopped using it years ago and just drive there now and use the long term carparks.

I don't think it ever was an "airport train" in the assumed sense.   It was hardly the Heathrow Express, shunting people directly between Sheffield and Manchester Airport.  It wasn't even portrayed as some sort of dedicated airport service.

What it was in reality, was a cross country,  almost intercity route, that just happened to use Manchester Airport Station as it's terminus.  It had no official connections with Manchester Airport. Nor even branded itself as some sort of airport train.

From the times I used the service, airport passengers were always very much in the minority. It was far more used as a semi-express commuter service serving several large populus areas like Grimsby, Doncaster, Sheffield, Stockport, Manchester..

By the time it got to Doncaster it was becoming busy, by Sheffield it was almost completely full of regular commuters. Twice a year Airport passengers and their luggage was very much secondary priority.

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 2

I have to say that my experience of the Manchester Airport direct service was very different to some.
I travelled for many years on business on  that service with "long haul" luggage.  Yes, there was never enough luggage rack space but the staff were always understanding as long as people were trying to be considerate.
I never saw a serious altercation in over 15 years. There were always a healthy number of people alighting at the airport whenever I travelled.
There were overcrowding issues on rare occasions but, on a selfish basis, I was usually safely seated by that time.
I found the service invariably reliable, punctual, comfortable (mostly) but above all so convenient. I never ever considered driving as an alternative.
Maybe I was lucky or travelled mainly at off peak times but I for one miss it.
I understand the reasons for withdrawal involve pathing issues into Manchester Picadilly but the aspect that irritates me is that, yet again, Sheffield was seen as dispensable, with little apparent objection from our local leaders.