What Exactly Does 'Woke' Mean?

It certainly seems to be the word of the moment, cropping up everywhere. And yet its meaning really isn't clear to me. I've seen and heard all sorts of people described as 'woke', but never heard any definition of what it means from anyone using the word. So what does it mean?

Guest sibon
Just now, Delbow said:

It certainly seems to be the word of the moment, cropping up everywhere. And yet its meaning really isn't clear to me. I've seen and heard all sorts of people described as 'woke', but never heard any definition of what it means from anyone using the word. So what does it mean?

It is a word that gammons use when they want to insult other people.

(I know, I know. )

Anti Social BBC Radio 4. The origin and meaning of the word is described early on in the programme. It originated in the USA.

1 hour ago, sibon said:

It is a word that gammons use when they want to insult other people.

(I know, I know. )

Bit racist, but OK...

1 hour ago, Delbow said:

I've seen and heard all sorts of people described as 'woke', but never heard any definition of what it means from anyone using the word. So what does it mean?

It's like the P word when used to refer to someone with brown skin, it means different things to different people.

Same as "politically correct" but easier to spell?

• Like 1

aware of social injustice.

(aware, awake, woke)

Edited by ads36

To me being woke means to cut against and take a contrary position to the broadly accepted mainstream consensus  on certain social issues in the media culture, which used to be largely conservative (with a small c)

Given that the culture now is quite left wing (in the media that is, not necessarily on the ground in the real world) the woke people are now the Jordan Peterson's, Ben Shapiro's and Neil Oliver's of this world.

• Like 1

Woke up this morning, feeling fine.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Delbow said:

I find if I substitute 'polite' for 'woke', it works just fine

3 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Gammon isnt a racist term....

Using the colour of someone's skin as a slur is...

• Like 1