Modern Life Is Rubbish

2 hours ago, Palomar said:

Since the dawn of history sad oldies have sat around complaining that things ain't what they used to be. While all around them wiser folk get on with community, family, and the abundance of joy-giving activities that modern life affords.

This thread is like the letters section of the Mail, or Viz without the irony. 

Hmmm... :huh:

The main difference seems to be that these days, the 'sad oldies' have been replaced by 'angry youngsters' sat around complaining that things aren't how they'd like them to be.

While all around them, wiser folk are getting out there and making an effort to achieve something with their lives and not waiting for someone else to do it for them... :roll:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Very apologetically our postman (we pay for a daily collection) has just turned up to collect our parcels, the ones they did not call for yesterday, and (even more apologetically) revealed he wouldn't be coming back this afternoon (for today's collection)

Why would out postman be "very apologetic"  ? And why did he not come round yesterday and won't be coming back this aft

And what could this have to do with Modern Life Is Rubbish (because of more and more stringent restrictions on our lives to "keep us safe") ?

Well we are, apparently, in the midst of a "National Emergency" due to the hot weather so all postmen had the keys taken off them yesterday afternoon and have been told they won't be going anywhere this aft. Even our Postie admitted it was ridiculous.

I did not think it was anywhere near too hot to work yesterday, and certainly not as a van driving postman.

It's the biggest over reaction ever, oh no, that was Covid, though that was only two years ago I suppose. Another life these days.

Who can possibly disagree that the world is going absolutely bonkers...... Where will it all end ?

OMG, apparently the trams were all withdrawn in the afternoon ! ! !

PATHETIC.

As stated in a different thread, I wonder how these feeble folk would cope in a real emergency, like being bombed in WWII......

13 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Apparently the heat caused damage to the overhead wires - the rubber has stretched causing them to droop.

19 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

PATHETIC.

As stated in a different thread, I wonder how these feeble folk would cope in a real emergency, like being bombed in WWII......

Exactly as people did then.

You can see examples of people rising  to the occasion in times of adversity over and over again.

Only then might you judge who is feeble or otherwise.

BTW. Which was that school you went to that only had a 2 feet boundary wall?

14 hours ago, RJRB said:

Exactly as people did then.

You can see examples of people rising  to the occasion in times of adversity over and over again.

Only then might you judge who is feeble or otherwise.

BTW. Which was that school you went to that only had a 2 feet boundary wall?

The last time a Totalitarian tried to take over Europe, he was met with a fair bit of resistance.

Today, most young people would find the basic training at Aldershot would interfere with their social life. Do they have WiFi?

And it definitely is not a safe environment! And they only have 2 uniforms, mens and womens? 

And those filthy rat infested trenches are definitely superspreaders :)

Guest sibon
1 hour ago, trastrick said:

The last time a Totalitarian tried to take over Europe, he was met with a fair bit of resistance.

Today, most young people would find the basic training at Aldershot would interfere with their social life. Do they have WiFi?

And it definitely is not a safe environment! And they only have 2 uniforms, mens and womens? 

And those filthy rat infested trenches are definitely superspreaders :)

Oh, I don’t know. If you threatened the young men with imprisonment or execution, I guess they’d toe the line.

It is  almost always old men that glorify the sending of young men to their deaths in war.

Just now, sibon said:

Oh, I don’t know. If you threatened the young men with imprisonment or execution, I guess they’d toe the line.

It is  almost always old men that glorify the sending of young men to their deaths in war.

Well, it worked for Churchill in WW2 Lots of volunteers, from all over the World.

Wouldn't be surprised if speaking German under the jackboot wouldn't really bother you.  :)

Edited by trastrick

Guest sibon
33 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Well, it worked for Churchill in WW2 Lots of volunteers, from all over the World.

Wouldn't be surprised if speaking German under the jackboot wouldn't really bother you.  :)

Why would you suppose such a stupid thing?

My late uncle was wading along the edge  of the Waal River in 1944 when his mate went under the water, he dived down and saved him but was met by a German soldier when he came up, he reckoned that the event along with his time in a POW camp saved his life, it’s a funny old thing being a hero.

Edited by crookesey

Just now, sibon said:

Why would you suppose such a stupid thing?

I said it wouldn't surprise me.

A lot of anti-Bexiters seem to be happy living under the influence of Germany the "powerful powerhouse of the EU" that dominates Europe. (How did THAT happen?  Lol)

They also seem to be involved in World Wars on a regular basis.

As for the language:

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/research/perspective/brexit-learning-german-language.aspx

"Germany is Europe’s largest economy, the UK’s most important trading partner, and the political powerhouse of the EU. Graduates with German-language skills are therefore consistently the most sought-after languages graduates by major UK employers.

"In light of these realities, encouraging knowledge of German, the mother tongue of over 100 million Europeans, ought to be a top priority for both government and the business community." 

It makes sense to learn the language of the country that dominates Europe.

Guest sibon
7 minutes ago, trastrick said:

I said it wouldn't surprise me.

A lot of anti-Bexiters seem to be happy living under the influence of Germany the "powerful powerhouse of the EU" that dominates Europe. (How did THAT happen?  Lol)

They also seem to be involved in World Wars on a regular basis.

As for the language:

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/research/perspective/brexit-learning-german-language.aspx

"Germany is Europe’s largest economy, the UK’s most important trading partner, and the political powerhouse of the EU. Graduates with German-language skills are therefore consistently the most sought-after languages graduates by major UK employers.

"In light of these realities, encouraging knowledge of German, the mother tongue of over 100 million Europeans, ought to be a top priority for both government and the business community." 

It makes sense to learn the language of the country that dominates Europe.

That took you a long time.

I only quoted you to ensure that you couldn’t delete your ridiculous insult. To see you backpedal so furiously is a pleasant bonus.

FYI. I like Germans. They are lovely people.They make excellent cars and household appliances.  I like them so much that I married one.

Edited by sibon

Just now, sibon said:

That took you a long time.

I only quoted you to ensure that you couldn’t delete your ridiculous insult. To see you backpedal so furiously is a pleasant bonus.

FYI. I like Germans. They are lovely people.They make excellent cars and household appliances.  I like them so much that I married one.

Jawohl!

It took me an hour or so to get my walk and swim in today.

I promise not to let it happen again! :)