Modern Life Is Rubbish

On 21/07/2022 at 13:21, Magilla said:

Sadly your claims re: conscription do not support that claim...

I was born in 1937 ( before the war)and I was conscripted into the army in 1956, so why was trastrick not able to be conscripted?

Edited by Kidorry

3 hours ago, sibon said:

I’m sick of going to the cobblers actually.

They won’t take contactless payments, only cheques. I don’t even have a cheque book any more. I only wanted my boots resoling, but they insisted on trying to sell me a pot of Dubbin too.

And don’t get me started on those rainbow laces😡

Had reason to ask about those today, for a caution on a holiday let…and our bank doesn’t even do cheques at all any more. Not even a one-off ‘bank cheque’ 😳

And then I found wannapay. Same job, no trees harmed 👍🏻 Ain’t modern life brilliant! 😆

Edited by L00b

3 hours ago, Kidorry said:

I was born in 1937 ( before the war)and I was conscripted into the army in 1956, so why was trastrick not able to be conscripted?

I remember David Cameron said he was going to reintroduce National Service in his 2010 manifesto.

Another Tory promise that wasn't kept.  

2 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I remember David Cameron said he was going to reintroduce National Service in his 2010 manifesto.

All politicians lie. Labour would do exactly the same if it managed to get them in power. 

9 minutes ago, Anna B said:

David Cameron is a clown. Anyone remember his cringe "Keep it real" ???

He loves pork though if the rumors are true 

51 minutes ago, Delayed said:

All politicians lie. Labour would do exactly the same if it managed to get them in power. 

If conscription had been re-introduced under Cameron, I wonder how many would have showed up with all those fleeing to the Spanish islands or hills etc

Edited by St Petre
add

39 minutes ago, St Petre said:

If conscription had been re-introduced under Cameron, I wonder how many would have showed up with all those fleeing to the Spanish island and all that.

I'm not sure National Service included conscription.

4 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Am I the only one who is getting increasingly annoyed at all these extra layers of "online security" ?

I paid for a day at a kids sports camp for £17 and had to get a "One Time Passcode" from my bank (which is even more annoying because my mobile phone doesn't work well at my work).

For £17 ! ? ! And I'd used that company before so one would think the bank would have known that.

It's also TOTALLY INCONSISTENT because they want one time passcodes for relatively small amounts (which can be traced through bank accounts anyway) yet give people contactless debit cards which you (or someone who nicks your card) can spend up to £100 per transaction with.....

And don't get me started on all this "password must have 8+ digits, one of must be a weird digit and  a capital and a number and a lower case". Railcards UK made me change my password because my original was "too simple", but why should I give a toss who manages to hack into my Railcard account anyway !

IT'S COBBLERS !

The bank are quite happy to keep people jumping through hoops to access their own money, which is why I keep reminding people that cash is one of our last freedoms in case 'Computer says No.'

Edited by Anna B
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I thought it was, until about 1957,  unless you volunteered

1 hour ago, The_DADDY said:

David Cameron is a clown. Anyone remember his cringe "Keep it real" ???

He loves pork though if the rumors are true 

Best meat going 

5 hours ago, Delayed said:

Change your bank 

My wife banks with a different bank and she reports they are even worse.

BTW, can someone explain to me why any bank requires a one time passcode to pay HMRC ?

Who the **** is going to commit fraud to pay someone else's tax bill, and if they want to do that with mine they're welcome.

5 hours ago, sibon said:

I’m sick of going to the cobblers actually.

They won’t take contactless payments, only cheques. I don’t even have a cheque book any more. I only wanted my boots resoling, but they insisted on trying to sell me a pot of Dubbin too.

And don’t get me started on those rainbow laces😡

I think you will find cash will do nicely for the cobbler I use and almost certainly every other one.

Try it, and it'll keep your bank statement more manageable.....

Edited by Chekhov

2 hours ago, L00b said:

Had reason to ask about those today, for a caution on a holiday let…and our bank doesn’t even do cheques at all any more. Not even a one-off ‘bank cheque’ 😳

And then I found wannapay. Same job, no trees harmed 👍🏻 Ain’t modern life brilliant! 😆

Trees regrow and absorb CO2 whilst doing so, they are the ultimate sustainable resource.

Nobody should ever feel guilty about using wood.

In fact the ultimate environmental power source would be :

1 - Grow wood

2 - Use the wood for something

3 - Then burn the wood to create power whilst capturing its CO2.

Guest sibon
57 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Trees regrow and absorb CO2 whilst doing so, they are the ultimate sustainable resource.

Nobody should ever feel guilty about using wood.

In fact the ultimate environmental power source would be :

1 - Grow wood

2 - Use the wood for something

3 - Then burn the wood to create power whilst capturing its CO2.

I agree with this.

However, using a contactless payment is even gentler on the environment. And you can see how you spent your money too