Modern Life Is Rubbish

Chekov said :

through the security fence, another thing I disapprove of, they're schools not effin' prisons

37 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Your second paragraph is plainly ridiculous based on your contorted logic.

This shows just how far society has come in its irrational fear and overcautious attitudes, and why modern life really really is rubbish.

You think me even saying I dislike security fences at school (as they are schools not prisons) "is plainly ridiculous".

Why ?

When I was at school in the 70s /80s we had a two foot high stone wall, and AFAIK no kid was abducted or died in a car accident from getting out of school.

I will repeat, I dislike schools being like prisons whereas you obviously like it and think it totally normal. I feel sorry for you as you must be frightened of so much.

1 hour ago, RJRB said:

Do you ever consider that your reactions are Disproportionate?

NO, because they aren't.

I am interested in the actual statistical evidence about why any restriction on our lives is needed. I would have thought this was the minimum that we could expect, but it is rarely forthcoming. Instead, all we get is some meaningless vague sentence along the lines of "we can't be too careful". Well that's NOT good enough, and definitely not an excuse to clamp down on our freedoms ever more severely.

Edited by Chekhov

38 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Well apparently you don’t understand it at all.

I am all for family involvement in their kids sporting activities and school work for that matter.

I am totally against the idea that a parent should be entitled to sit in on a school lesson.

Extracurricular activities are a different issue entirely

The photography is a side issue as far as I am concerned and better discussed with the headmaster or school governors as to their reasoning.

Wrong again. I have been at pools when school lessons were underway. In fact there is some ludicrous rule that if a school swimming lesson is underway there has to be an empty lane between the lesson and the general public swimming alongside. WHY ? What exactly do they think is going to happen? It's utter madness and I just hope the schools get charged for that empty lane.

It is pure fluke that the way Stocksbridge leisure centre is configured you cannot gain access to the pool viewing gallery without being buzzed through, unlike, for instance, Ponds Forge.

7 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Chekov said :

through the security fence, another thing I disapprove of, they're schools not effin' prisons

This shows just how far society has come in its irrational fear and overcautious attitudes, and why modern life really really is rubbish.

You think me even saying I dislike security fences at school (as they are schools not prisons) "is plainly ridiculous".

Why ?

When I was at school in the 70s /80s we had a two foot high stone wall, and AFAIK no kid was abducted or died in a car accident from getting out of school.

I will repeat, I dislike schools being like prisons whereas you obviously like it and think it totally normal. I feel sorry for you as you must be frightened of so much.

There are plenty of schools in Sheffield that long predate your era with walls and railings surrounding them.

Not irrational or over cautious at all.

Primarily a measure to stop kids,who are under the guardianship of the school from wandering off the premises.

Hardly prison like and reassuring to parents that their little tots are being supervised.

I would not LIKE it if my 5,6,7,8,9, year old was free to wander away from the school boundaries,and I would like to think that schools have a duty of care.

Save your sorrow for someone else.

I don’t need it thanks.

Perhaps you are more deserving as someone whose modern life is really really rubbish whilst mine isn’t.

11 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Wrong again. I have been at pools when school lessons were underway. In fact there is some ludicrous rule that if a school swimming lesson is underway there has to be an empty lane between the lesson and the general public swimming alongside. WHY ? What exactly do they think is going to happen? It's utter madness and I just hope the schools get charged for that empty lane.

It is pure fluke that the way Stocksbridge leisure centre is configured you cannot gain access to the pool viewing gallery without being buzzed through, unlike, for instance, Ponds Forge.

So what are you bitching about

.Presumably Stocksbridge won’t buzz you through,or they don’t allow public swimming when a school class is in progress.

Guest sibon
31 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Chekov said :

Why ?

You get all upset about schools not protecting kids from the “dangers” of mask wearing. Then you get all upset because they do take measures to protect kids from the dangers of intruders, cars, knife wielding maniacs etc.

You need to get things into proportion.

I would like to think that children at the lower end of school age are at least as well supervised when in their parents careas they would be at any responsible school.

i.e.not free to wander away from their home or garden.

As they attend the same school as 10/11 year olds then some secure perimeter is necessary for all.

Edited by RJRB

15 hours ago, sibon said:

You get all upset about schools not protecting kids from the “dangers” of mask wearing. Then you get all upset because they do take measures to protect kids from the dangers of intruders, cars, knife wielding maniacs etc.

You need to get things into proportion.

You misunderstand me. I am being 100% consistent. Let kids be kids with the minimum of safety restrictions  so as to encourage an adventurous and confident character. What we do not want is a cotton wool generation of kids ( > adults) frightened of everything, particularly when the stats prove they have relatively little to be frightened about.

The one exception to that is driving, kids, and especially boys, should be taught it is dangerous. This is not inconsistent, because there are stats that prove it is, relatively speaking, esp for young men. Those stats do not exist for edicts like banning photography at school events, or parents watching swimming lessons  or the necessity for schools to be like prisons, etc etc

15 hours ago, RJRB said:

I would like to think that children at the lower end of school age are at least as well supervised when in their parents careas they would be at any responsible school.

i.e.not free to wander away from their home or garden.

As they attend the same school as 10/11 year olds then some secure perimeter is necessary for all.

Supervision, which we had back in the 70s and 80s, is not the same as being locked in, and the world locked out.... Kids are not stupid, they can see what is happening, they MUST form the view that the world is a dangerous place with loads of people out to get them. The latter does at least explain why so many people these days are so fearful of their own safety, because they were bought up to be so.

Edited by Chekhov

Guest sibon
2 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

the necessity for schools to be like prisons, etc etc

Leaving aside the other, well rehearsed arguments, I beg to differ on this.

Schools aren’t like prisons. Most of them do have security to prevent entry. Speaking as someone who has had to deal with several violent school intruders, I’d say that was justified.

If we went the other way and had no entry security, you’d be up there leading the outrage when a student was injured/abducted/killed.

8 minutes ago, sibon said:

Leaving aside the other, well rehearsed arguments, I beg to differ on this.

Schools aren’t like prisons. Most of them do have security to prevent entry. Speaking as someone who has had to deal with several violent school intruders, I’d say that was justified.

If we went the other way and had no entry security, you’d be up there leading the outrage when a student was injured/abducted/killed.

Why did we not need them in the 1980s then ?

I really wouldn't, depending on how many obviously. You see, it's a matter of proportion......

And schools are like prisons, certainly compared with the 1970s/1980s.

Guest sibon
1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

Oddly enough, a couple of the incidents that I had to deal with were in the late 80’s and early 90s. Even so, a lot of schools had fences back then.

There is nothing prisony about a school. They’ve just been secured to stop nutcases from walking in uninvited. 

If you can’t see why that is a good thing, I despair of you.

Edited by sibon

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

I really wouldn't, depending on how many obviously. You see, it's a matter of proportion......

As I said before you ignore the fact that many if not most of the infants and junior schools have always had surrrounding walls and fences around them and my time at that age was in the 50s/60s.

Infants had to be delivered and collected from school whilst juniors in the main made their own way to school and back.

I cannot think ofany school I. the Walkley or Crookes area that did not have a walled or fenced playground both to keep young kids in and others out.

Even parents did not enter the school grounds when collecting their children.

However to compare schools to prisons and failing to recognise the duty of care required of schools is clearly nonsense.

3 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Rest assure that if such an incident occurred within an area that all headmasters would be looking at their own arrangements.

Yes even for a single incident,but you might be able to put a number on what is acceptable.

Guest sibon
4 hours ago, RJRB said:

Rest assure that if such an incident occurred within an area that all headmasters would be looking at their own arrangements.

Yes even for a single incident,but you might be able to put a number on what is acceptable.

I think that Checkers has led a very sheltered life.

In his world, it seems as though it is forever 1950 with girls waving red knickers at passing steam trains and prime numbers of children solving mysteries with the assistance of a slightly naughty dog.

Life really isn't like that. Many of todays kids face threats in the home, at school and in the street. 

It is a sad state of affairs, but the genie isn’t going back into the bottle anytime soon, so we will all have to accept professionals making decisions to mitigate risk.

Or, I guess, we could just bleat and whine on a minor Internet forum.

Edited by sibon