When And Why Is It Racist To Abbreviate A Background .

10 hours ago, Mister M said:

You say you have 'zero knowledge of how they wished to be addressed', but you must be aware from the news that calling people of other races derogatory names is inflammatory and offensive. 

Think about how you would want yourself or your family to be addressed....and work it out from there :thumbsup:

So you know better than them then, good on you.

Perhaps you would be so kind as to inform me how me and mine wish to be addressed.

4 minutes ago, crookesey said:

So you know better than them then, good on you.

Perhaps you would be so kind as to inform me how me and mine wish to be addressed.

Why are you taking the huff to me pointing out that people from different ethnic backgrounds have said, many times over, they don't like having their race or background degraded?

In the 1970s and before it may well have been part of common English language to call people pak*s, but it isn't now. I don't know better than anyone, I'm basing my knowledge on what people from those backgrounds have said on how it makes them feel when they have their backgrounds ridiculed. 

I've no idea how you and yours would like to be addressed. Maybe you could tell us, then we won't cause offense, or cause you to take the huff.

Just to diversify a bit and put a different slant on this debate.

In WW2 The German command referred to the British troops  as Desert Rats.

This was meant to be uncomplimentary.

The British troops became proud to be called by such a name.

I’ve just been watching the Yorkshire racism row being discussed by MP’s. They keep on referring to south Asian players this is ridiculous to me. These young men are probably third or fourth generation they are British and should not be called south Asian.

I put news on . This hearing is on three channels. Is that overkill?

The evidence given by the cricketer was very powerful, particularly how the racist abuse impacted him after he lost his son.

24 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

I put news on . This hearing is on three channels. Is that overkill?

It's entertainment, and it's viewing numbers. Same with Cummings committee appearance was well worth a watch.

1 hour ago, hackey lad said:

It’s not entertainment 

It's definitely viewing numbers for the BBC. I'd love to say Yorkshire cricket is important - but in the bigger scheme of things it isn't.

It helps shows how racist this country, and it's institutions are - despite the government report showing there's none. I saw a clip of it and feel for the lad.

3 hours ago, Mister M said:

The evidence given by the cricketer was very powerful, particularly how the racist abuse impacted him after he lost his son.

I agree. I felt for the lad, and after listening to him rather than reading about it, it’s obvious that he was subjected to behaviour that went way past banter. I was taken in by Gary Ballance’s response and I think the Yorkshire committee believed what they wanted to believe. It seems it’s not just Yorkshire either. 
The boil needed lancing; let’s hope it brings about some real change and it won’t just be a case of people being more careful about what they say, although that would be a start. 

2 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

I agree. I felt for the lad, and after listening to him rather than reading about it, it’s obvious that he was subjected to behaviour that went way past banter. I was taken in by Gary Ballance’s response and I think the Yorkshire committee believed what they wanted to believe. It seems it’s not just Yorkshire either. 
The boil needed lancing; let’s hope it brings about some real change and it won’t just be a case of people being more careful about what they say, although that would be a start. 

One little snippet I just read that rafiq wanted to know balance would be supported before this all came out, he wants change, not people thrown under a bus.

Few observations that don’t really strengthen Rafiqs case. Bear in mind that if the allegations are true what he has said then he deserves all the support and those culpable , if proven, deserve all the punishment but

He has declared that Alex Hales named his dog Kevin because it was black 

has has named David Byas in his witness statement even though Byas was never at the club  and never interacted with Rafiq while Rafiq was there but he named him ‘because he was known to use racist language’. 
let’s not forget there is a team in Australia named p##I power and it is emblazoned on their shirts