Opening Times

1 hour ago, harvey19 said:

Before my time.

I know that pubs did not open on Sundays in N. Ireland or Scotland in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

Hotel bars and the British Legion opened.

Correct, pubs were open on Sundays in most parts of Scotland from 1976. 

In the highlands and islands communities some were closed and some were open, usually dependent on which brand of protestant were in control of the Council.

In Wales the English tourists found it difficult to drink on Sunday as pubs and hotels were closed in the rural west and north, the locals belonged to a variety of clubs or payed to play bowls, snooker, etc., with the fees paid including free beer. Three referenda took place rejecting Sunday opening.

In 1968/9 I was staying in Oswestry, Wales. When the pub we were drinking in closed we went across the road to one where the closing time was later.

1 hour ago, harvey19 said:

In 1968/9 I was staying in Oswestry, Wales. When the pub we were drinking in closed we went across the road to one where the closing time was later.

Oswestry has been in Shropshire, England since the year 1536.

The story is usually associated with the the village of Llanymynech a few miles away which is split. 

The thieving Church of England repeatedly spread their Parishes boundaries into Wales to gain more money from mining, transport and agricultural tithes, rents an fees.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

18 hours ago, gene said:

Am I right in thinking no pubs opend sunday lunchtimes?  I know Working men's Clubs did.  And weren't pubs  closed Xmas day ?

Some pubs closed on Sunday because they only had a six day licence.

7 hours ago, Kidorry said:

Some pubs closed on Sunday because they only had a six day licence.

Was the reason for a six day licence because the pub did not have a liquor/ spirits licence ? One place that comes to mind is the 'Grapes Inn' on Gower Street and I'm trying of think of any other pubs in the Pitsmoor area that were like that, or even city centre pubs.

5 minutes ago, St Petre said:

Was the reason for a six day licence because the pub did not have a liquor/ spirits licence ? One place that comes to mind is the 'Grapes Inn' on Gower Street and I'm trying of think of any other pubs in the Pitsmoor area that were like that, or even city centre pubs.

The Lodge ( ?)on Spital hill was one. I think it was also something to do with not having an outside toilet.

12 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

The Lodge ( ?)on Spital hill was one. I think it was also something to do with not having an outside toilet.

Yes, the landlady at the 'Grapes' told me that because of the toilets they were denied that licence and i think one reason  was that they had outside toilets as opposed to inside ones.

11 minutes ago, St Petre said:

Yes, the landlady at the 'Grapes' told me that because of the toilets they were denied that licence and i think one reason  was that they had outside toilets as opposed to inside ones.

Would that have applied to the East House on Spital Hill where the shootings was in the 60's. I seem to remember they had outside P-- corner