Fawlty Towers 'Germans' Episode

Do you think UKTV and Britbox were right to pull the Fawlty Towers "Germans" episode due to complaints?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Fawlty Towers "Germans" episode pulled, right or wrong?

• Right
    • Wrong
    • PC gone mad! Even John Cleese himself said so!

3 minutes ago, Mr Allen said:

That's the thing though, most of the episode in question was about as Politically Correct as a UKIP/BNP Political Broadcast.

And that's what people originally complained about! :loopy:

Ah - the 'woke' generation. 😂

Not sure Basil ever called for repatriation.

Or denied the holocaust like Nick Griffin did.

There's pretty much no justification for the word in question to be used outside a news bulletin or a drama.

I certainly don't want to hear it.

I am of the age to have seen Love They Neighbour and it was archiac even when it came out.

2 hours ago, butlers said:

There's pretty much no justification for the word in question to be used outside a news bulletin or a drama.

I am of the age to have seen Love They Neighbour and it was archiac even when it came out.

You rotter . I just read that and now started singing tune to Love Thy Neighbour 

Edited by hackey lad

Now I have the " everybody needs good neighbours"  rattling about my head

Same writer for Love Thy Neighbour as Mind Your Language.

2 hours ago, butlers said:

A word of advice. Don't listen to rap "music" then. Those trashy tunes are jam packed full of racist expletives. 

As for the N word and W word being censored on faulty towers I just don't agree. 

If anything it shows the backward thinking and ignorance of the Major (was he a major? I can never remember) and that's how I've always viewed it even when I did watch TV. 

It's like Alf Garnett. People get upset at the stuff he said but the point is the show was laughing AT Alf, not with him. 

Just my two penneth. 

9 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

A word of advice. Don't listen to rap "music" then. Those trashy tunes are jam packed full of racist expletives. 

As for the N word and W word being censored on faulty towers I just don't agree. 

If anything it shows the backward thinking and ignorance of the Major (was he a major? I can never remember) and that's how I've always viewed it even when I did watch TV. 

It's like Alf Garnett. People get upset at the stuff he said but the point is the show was laughing AT Alf, not with him. 

Just my two penneth. 

My Dad used to have an Uncle that was like Alf Garnett, anti-social, hated the world and everyone in it, the only reason Les married Auntie Peggy years ago was because Nan Allen chucked him out so he married the first woman he set eyes on.

They had a son called Alan (who as far as I know I've only ever met about twice in my life)

Difference being you would have to seek out a rap show and it's known to project nihilistic  attitudes.

I dare say there's a rap show on Radio 1 but will be governed by Ofcom regulation too .

Prewatershed on the main BBC tv channel is no place for that language.

Thing chanel 5 did a series on race in Britain and it came up on   the interviews  that as  kids they hated Love thy Neighbour as it legimized those words and the next day they would have them thrown at them.

There's no humour to be had watching a comedy with them in now.

6 hours ago, ab6262 said:

i am sure i saw that episode this week on a channel not sure if it was BBC but it was funny as ever and great send up of the germans, the majors little rant about fuzzy wuzzies i think was cut.

all in all censoring old stuff like this is pointless.

by the way if you think fawlty towers was bad its insignificant compared to" Love thy neighbour" another briliant comedy for the time.

My bold. 

Do the BBC cut Corp. Jones' little ramblings in 'Dad's Army' now?

Can't say I've spotted any cuts when I've seen it? 

36 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Just my two penneth. 

My bold. 

'Straight Outta' Compton' anyone? 

For an old, middle class, white guy, I have very catholic music tastes.  

Edited by Baron99

1 hour ago, butlers said:

Difference being you would have to seek out a rap show and it's known to project nihilistic  attitudes.

I dare say there's a rap show on Radio 1 but will be governed by Ofcom regulation too .

Prewatershed on the main BBC tv channel is no place for that language.

Thing chanel 5 did a series on race in Britain and it came up on   the interviews  that as  kids they hated Love thy Neighbour as it legimized those words and the next day they would have them thrown at them.

There's no humour to be had watching a comedy with them in now.

Where as a TV show seeks you out? 

I'm not sure what your point is there but I do agree 100% about pre-watershed programs. 

12 hours ago, Baron99 said:

My bold. 

Do the BBC cut Corp. Jones' little ramblings in 'Dad's Army' now?

Can't say I've spotted any cuts when I've seen it? 

My bold. 

'Straight Outta' Compton' anyone? 

For an old, middle class, white guy, I have very catholic music tastes.  

sorry that was my mistake i meant the W  word, but i am surprised they haven't cut the dads army one?

16 hours ago, butlers said:

You're right.  Any rap played on 6 Music gets swears and racist words edited out.

Guest sibon
2 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

You're right.  Any rap played on 6 Music gets swears and racist words edited out.

I think that the BBC have a policy of not playing records containing the n word. I think they are correct to have such a policy. The same should apply to TV too, except for very specific circumstances.

Its not as though radio edits are anything new. Nor TV edits.