Fawlty Towers 'Germans' Episode

Do you think UKTV and Britbox were right to pull the Fawlty Towers "Germans" episode due to complaints?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Fawlty Towers "Germans" episode pulled, right or wrong?

• Right
    • Wrong
    • PC gone mad! Even John Cleese himself said so!

Do you think the recent complaints from the left about the Fawlty Towers "Germans" episode featuring "outdated" views and the er, N word, should've been shown on BBC 1 this Monday night? Apparently it was shown pre watershed at 20.30, and has lead to a barrage of complaints, last year it was actually removed Link from Britbox and UKTV Gold amid complaints from the left about its content.

A move which even John Cleese himself said was Political Correctness gone mad, and I totally agree! How about you guys?

Edited by Mr Allen

Imagine if they put Rita Sue and Bob Too on again.

This poll is inaccurate, the BBC actually showed it on Monday night, what makes you think they pulled it?

You need to reword it to "DO YOU THINK UKTV AND BRITBOX WERE RIGHT TO PULL THE FAWLTY TOWERS "GERMANS" EPISODE DUE TO COMPLAINTS?  

Edited by HeHasRisen

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

This poll is inaccurate, the BBC actually showed it on Monday night, what makes you think they pulled it?

You need to reword it to "DO YOU THINK UKTV AND BRITBOX WERE RIGHT TO PULL THE FAWLTY TOWERS "GERMANS" EPISODE DUE TO COMPLAINTS?  

Thanks, I just edited the Poll question as such :)

Edited by Mr Allen
Changed Poll question

2 hours ago, Mr Allen said:

Apparently it was shown pre watershed at 20.30, and has lead to a barrage of complaints, last year it was actually removed Link from Britbox and UKTV Gold amid complaints from the left about its content.

Can you substantiate that? 'cos your link doesn't, and I'm unable to find any article suggesting they were suspended as a result of complaints.

It says those services suspended the episodes off their own back, pending a review.

When John Cleese decides to up sticks from his self-imposed tax exile on the Caribbean island of Nevis & heads back to the UK & starts paying his taxes here, will be the day when when his opinion on what should or shouldn't be shown on UK tv becomes valid. 

Edited by Baron99

11 minutes ago, Magilla said:

Can you substantiate that? 'cos your link doesn't, and I'm unable to find any article suggesting they were suspended as a result of complaints.

It says those services suspended the episodes off their own back, pending a review.

The link to the Guardian in the OP came from a Google search on "Fawlty Towers German episode removed amid complaints"

John Cleese is begining to sound ever more like the Colonel with some of his pronouncements.

I think they now put a caution before programmes containing offensive racial language.

Problem over.

Fawlty Towers us peerless writing so worth doing that for Jim Davison repeats would not be

35 minutes ago, Mr Allen said:

The link to the Guardian in the OP came from a Google search on "Fawlty Towers German episode removed amid complaints"

So you just made up the bit about complaints from the left.

Did you even read the article you linked to? You seem to have missed the follow-up article it links to (in red just under the subheading and above the picture so it's not like they've tried to hide it) where it explains that UKTV were going to show the programme with a warning about "potentially offensive content and language".

You've got your knickers in a twist about something that was resolved nearly a year ago.

I thought this was from last year.

All the usually types jumped on the Beeb.

Think League of Gentlemen caught caught up in because of the use of blackface

Edited by butlers

2 hours ago, Mr Allen said:

Thanks, I reported the OP and asked the Mods to edit the Poll as such :)

I'm trying to find how to edit it sorry can't seem to see where to do it!